Youk to the pale hose | The Boneyard

Youk to the pale hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good move for both teams. Youk will get to play everyday and we'll see what he has left in the tank. I'm not convinced that he can play 3B everday but we'll see. Now Middlebrooks doesn't have to be looking over his shoulder if he has a bad series.
Youkalis was good player in Boston and the fans gave him a standing O when he was lifted for a pinch runner. Best of luck to him in Chicago.

Reaction Score
Stoked would not accurately describe how excited one of my friends, who's a White Sox fan, was to get Youk.

Reaction Score
From the standpoint that third base is freed up for Middlebrooks, it is a good move for the Sox. However, they got almost nothing in return and will have to pay most of Youk's salary for the rest of the year. Zack Stewart has done virtually nothing in his big league career and three teams have dumped him. He has a less than impressive 89 MPH fastball and an ERA of almost 6. Brent Lillibridge is utility player who gives the Sox essentially two Nick Puntos. I know it was important to get something done quickly but I would rather have seen a lower level prospect with some potential than these two. I think the White Sox win this one.

Reaction Score
From the standpoint that third base is freed up for Middlebrooks, it is a good move for the Sox. However, they got almost nothing in return and will have to pay most of Youk's salary for the rest of the year. Zack Stewart has done virtually nothing in his big league career and three teams have dumped him. He has a less than impressive 89 MPH fastball and an ERA of almost 6. Brent Lillibridge is utility player who gives the Sox essentially two Nick Puntos. I know it was important to get something done quickly but I would rather have seen a lower level prospect with some potential than these two. I think the White Sox win this one.

How quickly you forget Zack Stewart was formerly the top prospect in the Jays farm. I know he has been dumped by 3 teams, but Andrew Miller has a similar story and has turned around nicely for the Sox. There is a chance Stewart can turn around too, given a good development staff (which I think the Sox have).

Reaction Score
Cost the Sox $5.5MM so what the hell, it isn't my money. I don't know if Youk is done but he is close. They basically took 2 players the White Sox didn't want and got a player the Red Sox didn't want. Youk is the only proven big leaguer but he had to go both from the Sox side and for Youkalis. It would have been better for Youk to go to a team needing a 1B but there aren't many of those.

Reaction Score
Cost the Sox $5.5MM so what the hell, it isn't my money. I don't know if Youk is done but he is close. They basically took 2 players the White Sox didn't want and got a player the Red Sox didn't want. Youk is the only proven big leaguer but he had to go both from the Sox side and for Youkalis. It would have been better for Youk to go to a team needing a 1B but there aren't many of those.

Speaking of 1B, Anthony Rizzo (yeah, that guy I was really high on and everyone said I was just overrating another Sox prospect) is due to get his Cubs debut tomorrow, signaling probably the start of his permanent career in the bigs. Why? Oh because this is his batting line in AAA: .349/.410/.710. Yeah, he'll just be fine.​

Reaction Score
I won't miss Youk he always seemed to get big hits vs. Tampa.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Sox dumped Youk's corpse in Chicago in exchange for two smaller, less well known but equally stiff corpses.

The White Sox hope they catch lightning in a bottle and get some production out of Youk while the Red Sox get the sulking out of their locker room.

That's basically the trade. One man's sulking is another man's treasure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn't this trade along with Youk's lack of performance and churlish attitude vindicate Bobby V. for that early season "gaffe"? Perhaps he is changing the culture for the better a bit.

Reaction Score
The Sox dumped Youk's corpse in Chicago in exchange for two smaller, less well known but equally stiff corpses.

The White Sox hope they catch lightning in a bottle and get some production out of Youk while the Red Sox get the sulking out of their locker room.

That's basically the trade. One man's sulking is another man's treasure.
Quite accurate, add that the Sox are paying 90% of the cost of inneffective sulking douching for the balance of the year in an attempt to foul up the White Sox wild card chances.

Reaction Score
Speaking of 1B, Anthony Rizzo (yeah, that guy I was really high on and everyone said I was just overrating another Sox prospect) is due to get his Cubs debut tomorrow, signaling probably the start of his permanent career in the bigs. Why? Oh because this is his batting line in AAA: .349/.410/.710. Yeah, he'll just be fine.​

Slow down, he batted .141 in 50 games in the Bigs last year.

Reaction Score
Slow down, he batted .141 in 50 games in the Bigs last year.

Because he was rushed to the bigs and played in Petco field where offense goes to die. In all seriousness, he'll be good. Just wait.

Reaction Score
He batted .118 away. His home splits were better then his road.

Reaction Score
He batted .118 away. His home splits were better then his road.

Yes, because the first 50 games in the bigs means everything for a career. I mean, Tom Glavine was a great pitcher the first couple years he was in the bigs. (Not.)

Reaction Score
Not saying he wont be good but stop patting yourself on the back, there is some serious reason to doubt he will be the player people projected him to be 2 years ago.

And unless you are a 10 year old girl please do not say "not" at the end of a sarcastic statement.

Yes, because the first 50 games in the bigs means everything for a career. I mean, Tom Glavine was a great pitcher the first couple years he was in the bigs. (Not.)

Reaction Score
Not saying he wont be good but stop patting yourself on the back, there is some serious reason to doubt he will be the player people projected him to be 2 years ago.

And unless you are a 10 year old girl please do not say "not" at the end of a sarcastic statement.

Sorry if I'm a fan of Borat. And second, Rizzo is the top prospect in the Cubs organization. I do not think there is doubt. If anything, there is less doubt than is status two years ago before he broke into the bigs.

Reaction Score
How quickly you forget Zack Stewart was formerly the top prospect in the Jays farm. I know he has been dumped by 3 teams, but Andrew Miller has a similar story and has turned around nicely for the Sox. There is a chance Stewart can turn around too, given a good development staff (which I think the Sox have).
I hope that you are right but I am far from ready to say that Miller had turned around. He has pitched a total of 16.7 innings this year. Although the results are good the Sox are being very cautious with him.

I was ready to say that I think that I think that the Sox pitching development has really deteriorated since John Farrell left the team for Toronto. In terms of ERA, their ranking out of 14 American League teams since 2007 has gone as follows: 1, 5, 6, 9, 9, 12. If you look at the ERA leaders in the AL, the first time you see a Red Sox name is at 23. They have some bats but pitching is pretty bad and there is not a lot of help on the way from the farm system.

Reaction Score
I hope that you are right but I am far from ready to say that Miller had turned around. He has pitched a total of 16.7 innings this year. Although the results are good the Sox are being very cautious with him.

I was ready to say that I think that I think that the Sox pitching development has really deteriorated since John Farrell left the team for Toronto. In terms of ERA, their ranking out of 14 American League teams since 2007 has gone as follows: 1, 5, 6, 9, 9, 12. If you look at the ERA leaders in the AL, the first time you see a Red Sox name is at 23. They have some bats but pitching is pretty bad and there is not a lot of help on the way from the farm system.
Miller is doing what he has to do to pitch in the bigs. He is throwing strikes early in the count. He always had outstanding stuff but he got in trouble by getting behind then either walking the batter or laying a strike on the fat part of the plate. Lester had to get over the same problem as do many young pitchers. Miller (with a little more development) may be able to become a starter and he could be key. Bucholtz is on the DL with a strange illness and it wouldn't be the strangest thing if they dumped Beckett before the trading deadline.

Reaction Score
I doubt the Sox dump Beckett unless they get a lot back in return for him. Buchholz (no T Danzz :D) has an illness that probably is preventable if he chose to not participate in certain life decisions *coughchewcough*

Reaction Score
Because he was rushed to the bigs and played in Petco field where offense goes to die. In all seriousness, he'll be good. Just wait.
And his ridiculous slash line this season is coming in the PCL, the most inflated offensive league in baseball

Reaction Score
And his ridiculous slash line this season is coming in the PCL, the most inflated offensive league in baseball
Rizzo is off to to a good start with the Cubs. .304 with 2 home runs in his first six games. I agree that he was rushed to the bigs by the Padres. San Diego is a desperate team that sometimes brings players in an effort to create some interest. I see a good career ahead for Rizzo.

Reaction Score

Rizzo has been a top offensive prospect for over 3 years now. Doesn't matter where he played. And as 60'sfan just stated, he's doing pretty well at the moment.

Reaction Score
And Rizzo just hit his 4th home run in 10 games. Yeah, oh at the Cubs have won 6 of 9 since his call up (10th still in progress)

Reaction Score
Good move for both teams. Youk will get to play everyday and we'll see what he has left in the tank. I'm not convinced that he can play 3B everday but we'll see. Now Middlebrooks doesn't have to be looking over his shoulder if he has a bad series.
Youkalis was good player in Boston and the fans gave him a standing O when he was lifted for a pinch runner. Best of luck to him in Chicago.
Anyone notice what Youk is doing with Chicago. .347, 3 Hrs and 14 RBIs in 13 games. He's not dead yet. The White Sox win this deal hands down at least so far. Also Jed Lowrie has become a power hitting short stop for Houston. 14 Hrs, 36 RBIs and finally Josh Reddick has become a star in Oakland. 20 Hrs and 43 RBIs. In return for all of these players, the only one that has contributed so far is Ryan Sweeney, who although he is hitting .283, has 0 Hrs and 14 RBI's. Bad luck or bad deals?

Reaction Score
Anyone notice what Youk is doing with Chicago. .347, 3 Hrs and 14 RBIs in 13 games. He's not dead yet. The White Sox win this deal hands down at least so far. Also Jed Lowrie has become a power hitting short stop for Houston. 14 Hrs, 36 RBIs and finally Josh Reddick has become a star in Oakland. 20 Hrs and 43 RBIs. In return for all of these players, the only one that has contributed so far is Ryan Sweeney, who although he is hitting .283, has 0 Hrs and 14 RBI's. Bad luck or bad deals?

I'd say more like good luck for the other teams considering that Lowrie and Reddick are oft injured. Youk...he just wasn't going to work out for the Sox. Too much friction with Bobby V and Bobby V is the guy in charge. Of course he wasn't dead, but he was to the Red Sox. Can't fault anyone for moving him.

If you look at Reddick's numbers a little more closely, he does have an impressive slugging percentage, but also has 11 GIDP (which is a lot for 83 games) and is only putting up a measly 2.9 oWAR, which is just above the typical threshold for a starter. I think it's impressive to look and say, wow! 20 home runs! But the matter of the fact is, he hurts his team in other ways. By the way, he's also committed 4 errors on the season which is drastically lowering his dWAR to 0.4. He would have been gobbled up in Fenway's RF.

Same can be said for Jed Lowrie whose oWAR is just 2.2 and dWAR is 0.2. Basically, these are numbers that are pretty low for a starter. However, it would behoove the Astros to trade him while he looks impressive. They could get a lot of value back for him. I'm not sure the Red Sox wanted to gamble and see if he would hold up for a full season at SS. Truth is, Mike Aviles has a slightly better combined WAR than Lowrie (oWAR = 0.7, dWAR = 1.8) and has been less of a gamble in terms of health, not to mention he's only making $1.2m (Lowrie is making $1.15m).

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think these were all moves that the Red Sox had to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom