You Will Know Right Away On Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You Will Know Right Away On Saturday

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Beg to differ. When Azzi was healthy and in the lineup, UConn’s ball handling improved significantly. Her court awareness, basketball IQ and ability to deliver passes on time and to the right player are all exceptional.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I listened to the Coach`s Show with Bob Joyce and Geno this evening (Thursday 3/2) on 97.9 ESPN, broadcast from Cafe' Aura in Manchester. It lasted an hour and covered lot of ground.

Geno was in a much better mood than when we saw him last. :confused:

They practiced today for the first time since the game on Monday night. He said the practice went well.

Especially funny when he noted that a problem on defense is that the players (other than Nika) don`t talk enough, and contrasted that with their talkative natures off the court. He made the joke I have heard from him before about the best way to get a group of young people to quiet down is to throw a basketball into the group.

Also some very interesting comments about players` maturity. I won`t try to summarize all of it but essentially he was saying you can`t coddle players and insulate them from failure and then expect them to perform in front of 15,000 people. He also noted that social media is overall creating a greater fear of failure and greater risk aversion because failures are magnified on social media. He is a very observant and cerebral guy.

He figures that the St. John`s Marquette game will be a real battle since the winner will go to the NCAA Tournament. He also opined that he thought those two teams would be rooting for UConn to beat Georgetown or Butler since facing UConn would give them an opportunity to better their seeding.

He noted that they have not had their entire team (minus Paige and Ice) for a Big East game this year.

Dorka did some work today, will do more tomorrow, he expects her to play. Lou is still banged up, he mentioned her knee in particular, but she is doing some things and will play as well. The other players who have been playing are fine.

I am burying the lede by bringing up Azzi late, although he was asked about it late in the interview. She practiced some today, more than previously, will do more tomorrow, and if things go well at the pregame shootaround on Saturday, she could very well be out there. He didn`t commit to that but I thought that his tone in answering the question about her availability was pretty light and hopeful, as opposed to the "who knows" kind of responses he has been giving previously. So, maybe we will have the whole group out there.

Geno is reading a book on Churchill but he has been at it for a long time - he said he is a history buff - and is also reading a book about Jim Thorp. His said his drink of choice is a Manhattan, and I suspect he has mixed more than a few of them over the last couple of months.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not right away, but only after 40 minutes of play when the final horn sounds & the fat lady sings.
Sun, hate to disagree with you, but it won’t take us 40 minutes to see which UConn team takes the floor. We’ll know 3-4 minutes into the game. If they come out hard and fast, it’s game on. If they come out soft and slow, not rebounding and giving up easy baskets (along with turning the ball over), it’s going to be a long 2 hours, and hard to watch.

Whoever UConn draws that first game should not present an over whelming challenge. The opponent will play hard, fast, and loose. They have nothing to lose…….it’s UConn. If our opponent loses, they want to go out in a blaze of glory, playing their best game of the year, which they can build on to begin the season next year.

This will be UConn’s 32nd game of the season. I want to see an end-of-season game where they put everything they’ve worked on all season together. I also would love to see UConn make a “concentrated effort“ to minimize their turnovers, and keep them to a single digit. One more thing……play with passion and have fun. :cool: It’s March madness. The most wonderful time of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You will know right away on Saturday if a change in this team has taken place or if it will be more of the same. It will show itself in the patience in the passing, the movement on offense, the passing back out by the bigs, the lack of forcing drives and shots, and the intensity of the defense. The most revealing statistic will be turnovers. It will show if they are executing and following instructions that they have been given or just playing the game. I look to Nika to have to be the leader for any such transformation. Do you think we will see a change?
Part of the turnover problem, in my view, derives from a general fear of shooting the ball. Lou has no fear of shooting, but teams have focused on shutting her down ( Often double teaming her) . Edwards was draining outside shots early in the season, but now seems hesitant. As a result she bull rushes the ball toward the rim, even when triple teamed. Nika has proven to be one of our more reliable three point shooters, but it is not in her mentality to be the team scorer. Aubrey remains hard to predict. She still prefers to be on fast break and head to the rim. And if she takes an early shot, and doesn't make it, she removes that bullet from her arsenal. Caroline has been inconsistent. Far too inconsistent. The net result is that the ball is handled by this team to excess, which results in forced passes and turnovers. Needless to say, the shot clock continues to tick down and the pressure increases. So poor shots are taken, poor decisions are made, and our offense appears chaotic and disjointed. What we need to see is re-newed confidence. That is what this team now lacks.

Reaction Score
I listened to the Coach`s Show with Bob Joyce and Geno this evening (Thursday 3/2) on 97.9 ESPN, broadcast from Cafe' Aura in Manchester. It lasted an hour and covered lot of ground.

They practiced today for the first time since the game on Monday night. He said the practice went well.

Especially funny when he noted that a problem on defense is that the players (other than Nika) don`t talk enough, and contrasted that with their talkative natures off the court. He made the joke I have heard from him before about the best way to get a group of young people to quiet down is to throw a basketball into the group.

Also some very interesting comments about players` maturity. I won`t try to summarize all of it but essentially he was saying you can`t coddle players and insulate them from failure and then expect them to perform in front of 15,000 people. He also noted that social media is overall creating a greater fear of failure and greater risk aversion because failures are magnified on social media. He is a very observant and cerebral guy.

He figures that the St. John`s Marquette game will be a real battle since the winner will go to the NCAA Tournament. He also opined that he thought those two teams would be rooting for UConn to beat Georgetown or Butler since facing UConn would give them an opportunity to better their seeding.

He noted that they have not had their entire team (minus Paige and Ice) for a Big East game this year.

Dorka did some work today, will do more tomorrow, he expects her to play. Lou is still banged up, he mentioned her knee in particular, but she is doing some things and will play as well. The other players who have been playing are fine.

I am burying the lede by bringing up Azzi late, although he was asked about it late in the interview. She practiced some today, more than previously, will do more tomorrow, and if things go well at the pregame shootaround on Saturday, she could very well be out there. He didn`t commit to that but I thought that his tone in answering the question about her availability was pretty light and hopeful, as opposed to the "who knows" kind of responses he has been giving previously. So, maybe we will have the whole group out there.

Geno is reading a book on Churchill but he has been at it for a long time - he said he is a history buff - and is also reading a book about Jim Thorp. His said his drink of choice is a Manhattan, and I suspect he has mixed more than a few of them over the last couple of months.
I, too, am a Churchill and Manhattan person.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Beg to differ. When Azzi was healthy and in the lineup, UConn’s ball handling improved significantly. Her court awareness, basketball IQ and ability to deliver passes on time and to the right player are all exceptional.
She had I think 7 against Texas. The team was averaging close to 15 up to and including the Notre Dame game, the low was against Providence 12.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Fans can hear that coaches show ”on-demand “ on the Varsity app. You can download the varsity app in the App Store.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Check to see if Geno is smiling!

Carnac

Reaction Score
They go to the games whether Azzi is playing or not.
Of course, why wouldn’t they be? :eek: Nirvana for them would be for Azzi to be drafted by the Washington Mystics In two years.

Reaction Score

Thank you for that!:)

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will come out Saturday at noon with all guns blazing!
They'd have practiced the OLD UCONN practice, "take no prisoner's" style, not the new kinder, more gentle way of the recent past because of all the injuries!
The UCONN players have been embarrassed by their recent play and want to reestablish themselves over their opponents the rest of the way!
Azzi may become the WILLIS REED of UCONN glory! Not playing too many minutes but inspiring her teammates to greater effort!

Reaction Score
You are rarely wrong, I won't argue. However, a different view, if you allow: Accountable? I'm not sure exactly what that means in basketball. I wonder if the team does. Sounds good--I 'll be accountable! Yep, we lost--I was part of the problem? Not knowing their actual problem.
Does Geno know? Here too I'm not sure. As ole Harry Truman said--The buck stops here. That should be true of the Coaching staff. Kids don't always see what coaches see AND Coaches don't see what is actually happening on the floor.
So, you get back to fundamentals and make sure you actually see and they see you when passing. Eye contact on passes works well. Defense is more personal. Determination, speed, dedication. Post play isn't all height as Edwards shows daily--good rebounders know where the bounce takes the ball. Good scorers under the boards block out everything other than the basket.
What's missing---I'll be danged if I knew.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will come out Saturday at noon with all guns blazing!
They'd have practiced the OLD UCONN practice, "take no prisoner's" style, not the new kinder, more gentle way of the recent past because of all the injuries!
The UCONN players have been embarrassed by their recent play and want to reestablish themselves over their opponents the rest of the way!
Azzi may become the WILLIS REED of UCONN glory! Not playing too many minutes but inspiring her teammates to greater effort!
Confidence--confidence from the coaches, confidence in one's self goes a long way. Ok Coach--any idea what is REALLY the issue?

Reaction Score
Last year, the team had clawed back from midseason disarray with the loss of Paige. They’d become focused and formidable. And then Paige returned right about now and the team exploded into the BET and the NCAAT. We have similar ingredients in place, but we haven’t clawed back to early season form yet. The return of Azzi may not be the catalyst like last year.

Reaction Score
Not rocket science.

Our scoring is down for a while and we have been less successful due to teams ganging up on Lou, Lou not shooting as well as earlier in the year, AE has not played as well for some reason and teams have figured out how to defend us. Also, GA has not adjusted to opposing teams' coaches adjustments. To be fair, GA has limited options.

Also, for some reason, I think AP has taken a step backwards on offense. I remember earlier in the year when she looked pretty confident and took some mid-range shots that she hit and then all of a sudden, it disappeared and now she seems scared to do anything really. Nice take the the hoop in the last game not withstanding. Something is missing with her that is not public or she is being over-coached which has lead to paralysis by over analysis, which is a fairly common issue with freshmen in a GA offense.

Then CD comes on the scene and she misses a lot more then she makes. I know she is not 100% healthy, but that is just the way it is. CD in for AG at this time is a step backward if CD is not hitting her shots and for the most part, she has not. This further diminishes our scoring.

Then there is the TOs where we get zero points on the offensive possession to the tune of 16-18 times a game, and then it usually ends up with a good opportunity for the other team. This has not gotten much better all year. Our post players are TO prone and have always been. Not a huge deal if you can score, but we lack that given the injuries, CD not getting on track consistently, the attention that Lou has received and some of the inconsistency from AE and Dorka.

We need another difference maker in the lineup to make it all click. This will make the other players' jobs easier and they will be more effective. I do not think CD is that player, although she will certainly help if she can hit her shots consistently. Azzi will make make it all happen if she can get back and play/shoot well. When healthy, I think she is a top 5 guard in the country, possibly as good or better than any guard in the country. The team has held the fort for the most part without her, but this teams needs her to really make a push to the final four.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are rarely wrong, I won't argue. However, a different view, if you allow: Accountable? I'm not sure exactly what that means in basketball. I wonder if the team does. Sounds good--I 'll be accountable! Yep, we lost--I was part of the problem? Not knowing their actual problem.
Does Geno know? Here too I'm not sure. As ole Harry Truman said--The buck stops here. That should be true of the Coaching staff. Kids don't always see what coaches see AND Coaches don't see what is actually happening on the floor.
So, you get back to fundamentals and make sure you actually see and they see you when passing. Eye contact on passes works well. Defense is more personal. Determination, speed, dedication. Post play isn't all height as Edwards shows daily--good rebounders know where the bounce takes the ball. Good scorers under the boards block out everything other than the basket.
What's missing---I'll be danged if I knew.
Something is amiss here. Why can some teams play 40 minutes and only turn the ball over 6-7 times, while others will have 15-20 turnovers? Teams are doing the same exact things on the floor. Some just do it more precisely and make better decisions than others.
In football and basketball, turnovers will kill you and turn potential victories into losses. Turnovers keep your opponents in the game and frustrates the hell out of your coaches. At THIS point in the season, you'd think teams would have that portion of their game in check. NO TURNOVERS!!! If your opponent wants the ball, let them get it as it comes through the bottom of the basket. :)

Reaction Score
I, too, am a Churchill and Manhattan person.
Churchill's mother, Jennie Jerome, grew up in one of Manhattan's classiest mansions, at the southeast corner of Madison Avenue and East 26th Street, looking out on Madison Square Park, and just across 26th Street from the original Madison Square Garden (now the home office of New York Life Insurance Co.). Its distinctive architecture and awnings did not shield it from the wreckers' ball in 1967, just before the NYC Landmarks Preservation Law went into effect. (Google: Jennie Jerome Mansion, and reference the movie "Ragtime," about the celebrated Stanford White murder trial.)

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Well we probably won't know if the "2nd quarter wall" issue is fixed until halftime, but if Geno has two capable scorers coming off the bench, I think we'll be okay.

Reaction Score
Not rocket science.

Our scoring is down for a while and we have been less successful due to teams ganging up on Lou, Lou not shooting as well as earlier in the year, AE has not played as well for some reason and teams have figured out how to defend us. Also, GA has not adjusted to opposing teams' coaches adjustments. To be fair, GA has limited options.

Also, for some reason, I think AP has taken a step backwards on offense. I remember earlier in the year when she looked pretty confident and took some mid-range shots that she hit and then all of a sudden, it disappeared and now she seems scared to do anything really. Nice take the the hoop in the last game not withstanding. Something is missing with her that is not public or she is being over-coached which has lead to paralysis by over analysis, which is a fairly common issue with freshmen in a GA offense.

Then CD comes on the scene and she misses a lot more then she makes. I know she is not 100% healthy, but that is just the way it is. CD in for AG at this time is a step backward if CD is not hitting her shots and for the most part, she has not. This further diminishes our scoring.

Then there is the TOs where we get zero points on the offensive possession to the tune of 16-18 times a game, and then it usually ends up with a good opportunity for the other team. This has not gotten much better all year. Our post players are TO prone and have always been. Not a huge deal if you can score, but we lack that given the injuries, CD not getting on track consistently, the attention that Lou has received and some of the inconsistency from AE and Dorka.

We need another difference maker in the lineup to make it all click. This will make the other players' jobs easier and they will be more effective. I do not think CD is that player, although she will certainly help if she can hit her shots consistently. Azzi will make make it all happen if she can get back and play/shoot well. When healthy, I think she is a top 5 guard in the country, possibly as good or better than any guard in the country. The team has held the fort for the most part without her, but this teams needs her to really make a push to the final four.
Caroline was 5-12 last game, 42% from the field. Not bad, second leading scorer on the team. She had a couple of assists, a block, a steal, and committed no turnovers. That's a good stat line. The thing I like most about her is she's not afraid to do anything. With the ball in her hands, Caroline's either taking her shot, or trying to take the ball to the basket. She's aggressive. I see that as a big positive.

Reaction Score
Confidence--confidence from the coaches, confidence in one's self goes a long way. Ok Coach--any idea what is REALLY the issue?
TCC Kid- - - As I stated I feel that because of all the injuries the coaching staff has had to adapt their practices to a shorter not as strict style (which Nika commented on, "going BACK to the old style of practices)!
Where they practiced till THEY COULDN'T GET IT WRONG, the new time constraints didn't allow for that!
The players became lax!

Reactions: KCD
Reaction Score
Caroline was 5-12 last game, 42% from the field. Not bad, second leading scorer on the team. She had a couple of assists, a block, a steal, and committed no turnovers. That's a good stat line. The thing I like most about her is she's not afraid to do anything. With the ball in her hands, Caroline's either taking her shot, or trying to take the ball to the basket. She's aggressive. I see that as a big positive.
That's one game but yes she had a good game and it is great to have her back. I didn't mean to suggest anything different. I still like AG as well so fliping them in the game doesn't necessarily make us a much better team. I don't think CD's addition will put us in the final 4. The addition of Azzi would though (assuming she can get back to form).

Reaction Score
Like I said on the original post on this thread, you would know right away if it was going to be different and it was.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Like I said on the original post on this thread, you would know right away if it was going to be different and it was.
Yep. Even thought the score was close for the 1st Q, it looked and felt like a different team.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yes, I'd say "we passed the audition". To coin a phrase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom