woman behind me: you look like you play basketball
me: that is correct, I do play
woman: I could tell because of your height
me: ha...yea
woman: my nieces play basketball too. up in Connecticut
me: in college?
woman: yeah at the university
me: the university of Connecticut?
woman: yeah they've been there a few years now!
me: oh really? what are their names?
woman: Olivia and umm I can't remember the other one
me: you can't remember your other nieces name?
woman: I don't see them very often but I watch UConn all the time
me: that's incredible...
me: because I played basketball at UConn also
woman: oh...
me: and I don't remember playing with anyone named Olivia who has a sister on the team too
woman: *gets out of line and walks away*
me: *thinks maybe i should be less blunt*

Kiah, you were the perfect lady. This was her no-no, not yours. You make us proud! :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well, my niece had an NCAA golf championship trophy on her kitchen counter--but it wasn't hers, it was her roomie's. My son saw it when we were visiting for graduation and didn't believe it was real. It was very real. Anna Rawson, member of the 2003 USC NCAA Championship golf team:

b5bc148a1636735c30eb5700fe70a77d.jpg

Anna had more success as a model than she did on the LPGA tour. She completed her MBA at Columbia last year.

Reaction Score
Thanks JavaMan, a great Vignette. Brings back an experience I had.

In the late 90s, I was visiting the manager of our office in Tampa. He had tickets to the Tampa Bay Rays and invited me to a game that evening. While in our seats, a young boy came up to my host and said, "Can I have your autograph, Mr. Smith?" He reached over and signed the boy's program.

When the kid left, I gave my host a quizzical look and asked what was up with that? He told me that he looked just like Emmett Smith, the great NFL running back, and was often mistaken for Emmett. He further went on to say that he use to explain to autograph seekers that he wasn't Emmett and therefore wouldn't be signing. But after a few visits from irate parents, annoyed that their child was refused an autograph, he decided signing and silence was the path of least resistance, and the safest. Thus, everyone went home happy.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well, my niece had an NCAA golf championship trophy on her kitchen counter--but it wasn't hers, it was her roomie's. My son saw it when we were visiting for graduation and didn't believe it was real. It was very real. Anna Rawson, member of the 2003 USC NCAA Championship golf team:

Anna had more success as a model than she did on the LPGA tour. She completed her MBA at Columbia last year.
Did she also play basketball? Looks like she'd be good at the two-point shot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

In the late 90s, I was visiting the manager of our office in Tampa. He had tickets to the Tampa Bay Rays and invited me to a game that evening. While in our seats, a young boy came up to my host and said, "Can I have your autograph, Mr. Smith?" He reached over and signed the boy's program.

When the kid left, I gave my host a quizzical look and asked what was up with that? He told me that he looked just like Emmett Smith, the great NFL running back, and was often mistaken for Emmett. He further went on to say that he use to explain to autograph seekers that he wasn't Emmett and therefore wouldn't be signing. But after a few visits from irate parents, annoyed that their child was refused an autograph, he decided signing and silence was the path of least resistance, and the safest. Thus, everyone went home happy.

emmitt-smith-3.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I went to see Johnny Mathis in concert at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas about 8 years ago. When I got in line to enter the auditorium, I couldn't help but notice the very tall gentleman in front of me with a group of people. I didn't take me long to realize who I was standing behind. I've seen him on TV many many times, but usually from the front, but never in person. This guy is a NBA basketball legend and Hall of Famer. It was none other than Bill Russell (Boston Celtics).
I was not star struck. I did not say a word to him. I let the man alone.

Most people don't know this little factoid, but Johnny Mathis attended San Francisco State in the mid-50's at the same time Russell was at Univ. of San Francisco. Being athletes from the two major universities in town, their paths crossed a time or two. Mathis was a rising (aspiring) athlete (high jumper) on the track team. Johnny received an invitation to a Olympic try out for the 1956 games in Melbourne Australia. At the same time, he was offered a recording contract from Columbia Records. He couldn't do both. He chose to sign with Columbia, and as they say, the rest is history. As the show began, Mathis acknowledged Russell's presence to the audience, and he received a loud and long applause. As a long time Mathis fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I met OJ Simpson as a child (mid teens) along with Marcus Allen (USC Football guys)... came to speak to the youth of Hartford (specifically my housing development)

Reaction Score
Did some work for Mr Kraft (Patriots) at the Rosebowl a few years back. Met Charles Barkley. Very personable and funny.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Did he sign his name or Emmitt's?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

woman behind me: you look like you play basketball
me: that is correct, I do play
woman: I could tell because of your height
me: ha...yea
woman: my nieces play basketball too. up in Connecticut
me: in college?
woman: yeah at the university
me: the university of Connecticut?
woman: yeah they've been there a few years now!
me: oh really? what are their names?
woman: Olivia and umm I can't remember the other one
me: you can't remember your other nieces name?
woman: I don't see them very often but I watch UConn all the time
me: that's incredible...
me: because I played basketball at UConn also
woman: oh...
me: and I don't remember playing with anyone named Olivia who has a sister on the team too
woman: *gets out of line and walks away*
me: *thinks maybe i should be less blunt*

Kiah, you were the perfect lady. This was her no-no, not yours. You make us proud! :D

Well crap, with Olivia and what's her name, I think that gets UCONN up to 15 schollies. I guess no more recruits now. :(

Reaction Score

Wow, what a Vision.

women, God Bless Ya! You all make life worth living!

Reaction Score
While it may be unlikely, it IS always possible that Olivia IS in fact a basketball player of sorts at UConn - just not on the varsity: UConn's intramural programs include women's basketball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie did the same when setting for her shot. Can't find a decent pic of her stance, though. Many shooters do that, especially at the foul line.
Sue definitely does, and even Dee does now.

Reaction Score
Did he sign his name or Emmitt's?
Emmitt's. But it was such a scrawl that it wasn't possible to know what the name was by looking at the signature. I don't know what Smith's real signature looks like.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I met OJ Simpson as a child (mid teens) along with Marcus Allen (USC Football guys)... came to speak to the youth of Hartford (specifically my housing development)

Did OJ leave his gloves there by mistake?

Reaction Score
We don't get many pictures of Kiah these days, so how about a couple? I like this one; it's cute:

And this one is more striking than cute, but I enjoy the occasional high fashion shot of the UConn alumnae, since we don't get to see too many of them:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom