You Can't Outdrink UConn Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You Can't Outdrink UConn Players

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hate to play the gender standards card, but I can't help but wonder if this same article about an NBA crew of of former college stars doing the same, if it would elicit the same response.
I had to write this. My daughter would kill me if I didn't.
I can't speak to anyone else but my response pointing out that the article is about 1 person (who is not a UConn alum) drinking to excess and not about UConn students in any way shape or form would be identical.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I can't speak to anyone else but my response pointing out that the article is about 1 person (who is not a UConn alum) drinking to excess and not about UConn students in any way shape or form would be identical.

Peace @CL82 , wasn't critiquing anyone in particular. In fact, more aimed at my own thought processes as I thought about posting on this thread.

CL82

Reaction Score
Peace @CL82 , wasn't critiquing anyone in particular. In fact, more aimed at my own thought processes as I thought about posting on this thread.
No worries. I think too many people are reading the OP title only. It's a funny line (from Sue) but not really representative of the subject matter of the article which is, in essence, just a funny story about Megan Rapinoe drinking too much.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When I was a young PFC stationed in Germany in 75, we would have drinking contests at a discotheque in the local town. On Ruby Monday, the Monday before lent, we were there partying and drinking half liter mugs of beer. When I had gotten to 15, the owner informed the table that the house record was 21 and that if I broke it, the drinks at the table would be on the house. I asked if I didn't break it who was going to pay for my drinks because I was out of money. One of the guys said he had the tab covered if I didn't break it. I ended up drinking 27 half liters of beer that night. The group had to carry me out of the bar, I missed morning formation, but my squad leader covered for me. The supply SGT came up to my room, dragged me out of bed, threw me into the shower, clothes and all. After that he sat me down at my desk and made me suffer through the rest of the day. When I left Europe in 96, I still held the house record.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
When I was a young PFC stationed in Germany in 75, we would have drinking contests at a discotheque in the local town. On Ruby Monday, the Monday before lent, we were there partying and drinking half liter mugs of beer. When I had gotten to 15, the owner informed the table that the house record was 21 and that if I broke it, the drinks at the table would be on the house. I asked if I didn't break it who was going to pay for my drinks because I was out of money. One of the guys said he had the tab covered if I didn't break it. I ended up drinking 27 half liters of beer that night. The group had to carry me out of the bar, I missed morning formation, but my squad leader covered for me. The supply SGT came up to my room, dragged me out of bed, threw me into the shower, clothes and all. After that he sat me down at my desk and made me suffer through the rest of the day. Before I left Europe in 96, I still held the house record.

I had to do the math on that. 13.5 liters =456.5 oz= 38, 12 oz bottles of beer not on the wall but in your belly. Wow, just wow. on my best day I couldn't do that. I woulda been sick for a week.

1585596337435.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I had to do the math on that. 13.5 liters =456.5 oz= 38, 12 oz bottles of beer not on the wall but in your belly. Wow, just wow. on my best day I couldn't do that. I woulda been sick for a week.

View attachment 52478
The hang over only lasted two and half days. To this day the most 1/2 liter mugs of beer I've had in one sitting is 8.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to disagree that the article is in no way shape or form about UCONN students. Sue Bird is quoted in the article envoking the name of the current UCONN WBB coach as it relates to recruiting. Geno is still recruiting. Every player Geno successfully recruits becomes a UCONN student.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
UCONN = “The Jungle”
If you don’t know what that refers to you have no idea the Party School Legacy UCONN had...

Northern Campus U shaped Building- No More...

CL82

Reaction Score
I have to disagree that the article is in no way shape or form about UCONN students. Sue Bird is quoted in the article envoking the name of the current UCONN WBB coach as it relates to recruiting. Geno is still recruiting. Every player Geno successfully recruits becomes a UCONN student.
None of the individuals in the article are UConn students, nor have they been in the last decade. The article is about four adults in their thrities on vacation, two of which happen to be UConn alumnae.

Disagree with with any of that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
None of the individuals in the article are UConn students, nor have they been in the last decade. The article is about four adults in their thrities on vacation, two of which happen to be UConn alumnae.
Disagree with with any of that?
I do. The article also mentions Geno and recruits.=UCONN students.
" Bird ended the story with a little advice that we’re not sure UConn coach Geno Auriemma would be happy about — at least publicly. “I’m just going to say this right now for anyone asking, you can’t drink with UConn players,” Bird said. “It’s something about how they recruit us. It’s like in our DNA.

CL82

Reaction Score
I do. The article also mentions Geno and recruits.=UCONN students.
" Bird ended the story with a little advice that we’re not sure UConn coach Geno Auriemma would be happy about — at least publicly. “I’m just going to say this right now for anyone asking, you can’t drink with UConn players,” Bird said. “It’s something about how they recruit us. It’s like in our DNA.
Sigh...So name the actual current UConn players who listed in the story.

(Here's a hint. There are none.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sigh...So name the actual current UConn players who listed in the story.
(Here's a hint. There are none.)
There is this thing in the English language called a collective noun or pronoun that is used mainly because it is shorter than listing a bunch of names. From this particular passage UCONN players, us. and our would be specific examples. Unless you don't think Sue knows anyone on the current team. I think Sue was an English major too .....jeeez.

Reaction Score
While I understand the "role model" thing I also don't enjoy having my news sources making sure that everything they report is suitable for a ten year old's ears.

CL82

Reaction Score
There is this thing in the English language called a collective noun or pronoun that is used mainly because it is shorter than listing a bunch of names. From this particular passage UCONN players, us. and our would be specific examples. Unless you don't think Sue knows anyone on the current team. I think Sue was an English major too .....jeeez.
UConn players are current players. UConn alumnae or former players are not. Words mean things.

Weird hill for you die on Coco.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Good grief — you guys are too much.

It’s likely a good bit of hyperbole mixed in with some “work hard, play hard” mentality. Note she also says there are some that don’t drink...

Stir crazy isn’t suiting some of you very well...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn players are current players. UConn alumnae or former players are not. Words mean things.
Weird hill for you die on Coco.
I have no intention of dying nor do I see a hill of any significance. Both the title of this thread and the article uses the words UCONN players. Since words do have meaning I'll allow you the last word:

UConn players are current players.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have no intention of dying nor do I see a hill of any significance. Both the title of this thread and the article uses the words UCONN players. Since words do have meaning I'll allow you the last word:
You'll allow me? Lol, uh... how gracious of you?

When a coach puts his players on the floor, it doesn't include 30 something year olds who graduated over a decade ago. No UConn players were involved in that story. In fact the only person who got drunk to the point of vomiting never attended UConn. But you knew all that.

Reaction Score
Overheard at last year's Final Four at the NBA Academy Games:

Jose Fernandez: Back off, she's ours (regarding Nika)
Kevin McGuff (turning back to Geno, and maybe me): After the visit, I went out to drink in Zagreb. I asked for red wine, but they said Geno drank it all last week.

Reaction Score
I remember some 1965 freshmen parties in the Jungle where .................................. Ah never mind.

Reaction Score
In college, I worked at the athletic department. I was really good friends with an assistant volleyball coach, assistant men’s soccer coach and an assistant women’s basketball coach. There was a party for someone in the department who was retiring and the four of us, and a few other people, partied pretty hard and let’s just say there were stories. A lot of people who work hard also play hard. Granted we were in our twenties then, but it is what it is. Sometimes you just need to blow off steam.

Reaction Score
If you listen to the video it doesn't sound good at all. Does not reflect well on the University.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom