You Can't Outdrink UConn Players | The Boneyard

You Can't Outdrink UConn Players

Reaction Score
This from a rather amusing story about Sue Bird, Megan Rapinoe, DT, and Penny Taylor: NESN LINK HERE

Geno and Chris might not be pleased, of course, but . . .

(Edit: binge drinking is not cool, I get that, but I still enjoyed the story.)
Well Geno & CD might not be pleased they made it public, but Sue says alcohol tolerance is a UConn recruiting criteria... Hmmmm...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember an interview with Nneke Ogwumike last year where she said there are no bigger partiers in WBB than UConn basketball alumni. I took her at her word.

Reaction Score
I remember back in the day of MySpace, Maria Conlon posted a pic of her and a few teammates partying. Hmm...

Reaction Score
There are things you just don't talk publicly about and this is one. The way Rapinoe talks and now this just goes to show athletes should never be role models. Alcohol University what a recruiting tool Sue!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The story is about Sue, Megan, Penny, and Diana on vacation. Megan drank past her capacity and was sick, repeatedly. It has nothing to do with UConn players “partying” except, of course, that Sue and Diana are alumnae. Penny didn’t over drink either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I went to college once upon a time, so I’m hardly one to be critical of social drinking. On the other hand, I’m not particularly comfortable with “role models“ to young athletes speaking about their drinking escapades in a public forum. I wish Sue, Megan & the writer of the story had given a little thought to the wisdom of publishing such a story.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This from a rather amusing story about Sue Bird, Megan Rapinoe, DT, and Penny Taylor: NESN LINK HERE

Geno and Chris might not be pleased, of course, but . . .

(Edit: binge drinking is not cool, I get that, but I still enjoyed the story.)
Not sure why Megan thought she could keep up with Sue and Dee who lived in Russia for years. I mean vodka vs a white wine spritzer??? :cool:

Reaction Score
This goes both ways. I have several nieces and nephews who were high school All Americans in several sports who choose not to attend UConn since they felt the drinking was excessive. All enjoyed social drinking but felt the pressure to join in heavy drinking distracted from their commitment to their sport.

Reaction Score
I think that with what each of these ladies have contributed to causes for humanity, entertainment for millions, and the fame that they have brought to the University of Ct., that perhaps we should allow them to be human for one evening. If there is a boneyarder amoung us who has not heard the sound of a leaf from a tree crashing to the ground the next morning raise your hand.

CL82

Reaction Score
People are surprised that the members of the women's basketball team who are 18-22 years old and in college aren't innocent little angels? Sometimes it's best to not look behind the curtain because you may be disappointed.
Not so much. Did you actually read the article?

The title of this thread is misleading. It isn't about UConn players drinking at all. Nor is it about 18-22 years old. What is really is about Megan Rapinoe drinking to excess and getting sick.

CL82

Reaction Score
This goes both ways. I have several nieces and nephews who were high school All Americans in several sports who choose not to attend UConn since they felt the drinking was excessive. All enjoyed social drinking but felt the pressure to join in heavy drinking distracted from their commitment to their sport.
With all due respect, I find this stunningly unlikely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is unfortunate that drinking is the example used here which I think undermines a main point about UCONN WBB players. The main takeaway should be that for UCONN WBB drinking is just another competition. @Sargassoc is right that example will not sit well with some. The example could just as easily been cards or monopoly or musical chairs or any drill in practice or one of CD's many endless trivia games. It is a competitive endeavor which they intent to win. Several years ago I was lucky enough to visit the weight room where the UCONN women work out. There was a chart on the wall detailing all the records of weights for the different lifts. Not that unusual , because most colleges have these, what made this chart unusual (special) was the note at the bottom which said "Last updated"-two ago.
Sue is right, Geno recruits that competitiveness. If that's not a part of your DNA and you find yourself at UCONN then you are probably at the wrong school.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The main takeaway should be that for UCONN WBB drinking is just another competition.
No that is absolutely not the main take away, Coco.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The story is about Sue, Megan, Penny, and Diana on vacation. Megan drank past her capacity and was sick, repeatedly. It has nothing to do with UConn players “partying” except, of course, that Sue and Diana are alumnae. Penny didn’t over drink either.
Penny is an Aussie... you can't out-drink them.

Reaction Score
Do you mean to say college students drink? Horrors! I can’t imagine. Really? Is that why UConn players are staggering on the floor, unable to catch or receive passes? Is this why they lose so many games? Look, binge drinking among college students is no joke on all campuses. Been there, done that, survived that, learned from that.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I hate to play the gender standards card, but I can't help but wonder if this same article about an NBA crew of of former college stars doing the same, if it would elicit the same response.
I had to write this. My daughter would kill me if I didn't.

Reaction Score
I may have missed the point of the article-- Megan not lasting as long as the other 3. And the Uconn part was the plum: we are tough. I didn't experienced Uconn as a party school. Of course the local pubs dished out volumes of cheap and watered-down beer. Add to that the limited places and things to do and, you have kids walking around with a suit case of beer. Put a microphone in front of these kids and you get a lot of bluster statements. I have spent time at NYU, Calif, and have had friends and colleagues from Duke, Harvard and elsewhere. Uconn shadowed in their midst or at best is equal. And noone in their right mind would call these schools party places. And for Uconn's WBB, while I have no evidence for it (and find it irresponsible to read-off such claims from the article), I seriously doubt that the players holding drinking parties. Yes, they probably do gather as a group and play, drink, etc., as normal young people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom