You Can't Outdrink UConn Players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

You Can't Outdrink UConn Players

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This from a rather amusing story about Sue Bird, Megan Rapinoe, DT, and Penny Taylor: NESN LINK HERE Geno and Chris might not be pleased, of course, but . . . (Edit: binge drinking is not cool, I get that, but I still enjoyed the story.)
Now we know how Sue has such good balance. Practice makes perfect! Basketball shorts?

Reaction Score
This post was starting to depress me until I had a couple of beers.
Could not agree more, glass up to you! Some hard core athletes making wise cracks in an interview, just imagine. Me thinks some folks are over thinking things here.
For those that think Sue Bird or DT may have alcohol problems have no idea of how much it takes to maintain a body for professional sports at the highest level. We are talking two women looking at possibly making their 5th Olympic team on vacation.
As for their joking around having an affect on recruiting, it's laughable. The discipline in the women's program speaks for itself and is well published. That and graduation rate and gpa's through the roof.
What next, EDD actually left because she preferred Merlot? :D

Reaction Score
Woof 101--- I am in no way implying that I think or am sure that DT or Sue has an alcohol problem, however, many athletes who had long careers in professional sports certainly did. Ruth, Mantle, Stabler to just name a few off the top of my head. The New York Yankee World Champion dynasty of the '50s& '60s was loaded with players who often drank all night before going to the ballpark for games. Being a top-level elite athlete is no guarantee of not having a problem. Some people's bodies are just better able to handle alcohol. The more consistently you drink the less of an effect it has.

Besides, the issue is not what they are doing now or have done since graduation, but what they did while at UConn.

Reaction Score
This goes both ways. I have several nieces and nephews who were high school All Americans in several sports who choose not to attend UConn since they felt the drinking was excessive. All enjoyed social drinking but felt the pressure to join in heavy drinking distracted from their commitment to their sport.
WHATEVER.......

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This goes both ways. I have several nieces and nephews who were high school All Americans in several sports who choose not to attend UConn since they felt the drinking was excessive. All enjoyed social drinking but felt the pressure to join in heavy drinking distracted from their commitment to their sport.

I went to UConn (relatively recently — graduated in 2011) and had friends I’d visit at other large, state schools, and I don’t think the drinking was any more excessive there than it was at other schools. There are outliers at every institution, but UConn itself isn’t an outlier.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Maybe it's growing up in the '60 and '70s, maybe it's my parents' compassion or maybe it's just my nature, but puritanical, judgmental people make me uncomfortable. It's not what they think, necessarily. After all, this is America – you can think and say whatever you want. It's that they tend to be overly vocal and employ scare tactics and massaged messages to influence societal regulations that favor their restrictive, minority opinion. And this hangover is making it even worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom