Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? You're not even talking about just football? You think this would be good for UConn and you think playing Cal and Stanford would be great?

It would be horrible for UConn and both Cal and Stanford absolutely suck in both revenue sports.
They are elite academic institutions. I still think it matters who you associate with. Throw in Rice and Tulane you’ve got a pretty nice egghead conference.

Reaction Score
They are elite academic institutions. I still think it matters who you associate with. Throw in Rice and Tulane you’ve got a pretty nice egghead conference.
I think a nice egghead conference that competes one notch below the big boys in football with the ability to win nattys in not football would be great. And yes, I think we would be a good fit for such a conference.

Reaction Score
we need to get on phone with oliver luck, "New Pac 10" Pacific to Atlantic Conference
UConn
stanford
memphis
cal
tulane
oregon st
washington st
san diego st
smu
usf
If the media money is there like close to 20M per year, we should at least explore it.

It would be ideal if we are in it as FB only while leaving everything else in the Big East.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My logic on what?
You appeared very dismissive (stated was the B-12 your dream) about the idea that it would benefit the school. When the benefits to the football program were used to justify the idea of the move you responded that the football program would never win the national championship.

This line of reasoning would lead one to believe that your point us there is no reason to be a member of a conference where membership should allow a school to compete for a national championship if an individual school will never win one. There are quite a few BE schools who are in the same boat for men's basketball.

Perhaps they're fooling themselves by believing they belong (using what you had posted).

Reaction Score
Yormark is clearly very pro UConn. My belief is that if he could have found a way to make the money work, he would have gotten UConn into The Big 12. He still may, it just might be 5-10 years from now.
For that wish and a prayer, we have to prop up football somehow and keep the athletic department running with a pittance in conference money.

Reaction Score
I don't think we were being played. I just think that the collapse of the Pac 12 happened more quickly and more completely than anticipated.
I honestly don't think that you were being played. Yomark was the new kid on the block in the B12 and his New York City-centric vision didn't connect with the view of the presidents of midwest and mountain state universities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I honestly don't think that you were being played. Yomark was the new kid on the block in the B12 and his New York City-centric vision didn't connect with the view of the presidents of midwest and mountain state universities.
Yep. I still think he would've gotten us across the finish line, but for the collapse of the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure we're all moving to streaming individual channels very fast. YTTV or Hulu+ or Fubo maybe, but I'm over here w/ a free trial of MGM+ and I'm absolutely convinced this company does not want me watching their channel. They are throwing every road block possible at me on the Roku platform.

Reaction Score
If Yormark does what he’s shooting to do: uncouple bball from football, and as a consequence, boosts the value of bball to football up from 20/80 to a more favorable ratio- UConn becomes more valuable to the P5(4). If he continues to shift things, UConn could find itself to be a very attractive. Timing wise, this would ideally happen before the ACC GOR is up.
Yormark is on to something the brain dead folks at Storrs should be pushing for . semi autonomy for the 32 D1 basketball conferences
The elephant in the room is Basketball schools are completely getting shafted in their association with the NCAA tournament and there is no outcry .
The men’s basketball tournament earns a billion dollars yet
the distribution pool for participating conferences is about $175,000,000 or less than 20% . By comparison the power football schools keep over 80% of their playoff money
Last year the Big East earned 15 units @$338,000 per unit or about $5,000,000 a year for 6 years or $30,000,000 and The Big East is thrilled .
Yet that number per unit at 80% is about $1,500, 000 per unit
would have been $22,000, 000 or $132,000,000 over six years
The Big East could be dividing $80,000,000 to $100,000,000 annually varying with tournament success .
That‘s without changing the tournament and all 32 D1 conference’s participation.
That’s not Power conference money but it makes Basketball a much more important player .
Huggins in a one of his rants indicated this and I ran the numbers
The question is why basketballs schools allow themselves to be exploited ?
Those that think the chief beneficiary is the NCAA corporate office are mistaken . They distribute half the sum $500,000,000 to 1200 member schools for no apparent reason
They also help finance multiple championship , however many are partially covered by a $35,000,000 a year deal with ESPN that includes the NIT, Baseball, Softball , The men’s tournament overseas rights and the gem , the women’s Basketball tournament that is currently valued at about $80,000,000 as a stand alone which turns that tournament as a nice profit maker. The current deal expires this coming year and should at least triple .
It turns out BB is a pretty lucrative sport however the schools that make the money aren’t compensated equitably.
The huge impact of getting $7,000,000 a year for each Big East team is significant and makes a BB school much more attractive in CR . Excluding conferences that earn one or even two units annually is also totally unnecessary . The benefits out weight the cost .

Reaction Score
Yormark is on to something the brain dead folks at Storrs should be pushing for . semi autonomy for the 32 D1 basketball conferences
The elephant in the room is Basketball schools are completely getting shafted in their association with the NCAA tournament and there is no outcry .
the distribution pool for participating conferences is about $175,000,000 or less than 20% . By comparison the power football schools keep over 80% of their playoff money
Last year the Big East earned 15 units @$338,000 per unit or about $5,000,000 a year for 6 years or $30,000,000 and The Big East is thrilled .
The Big East could be dividing $80,000,000 to $100,000,000 annually varying with tournament success .
That‘s without changing the tournament and all 32 D1 conference’s participation.
That’s not Power conference money but it makes Basketball a much more important player .
Those that think the chief beneficiary is the NCAA corporate office are mistaken . They distribute half the sum $500,000,000 to 1200 member schools for no apparent reason
They also help finance multiple championship , however many are partially covered by a $35,000,000 a year deal with ESPN that includes the NIT, Baseball, Softball , The men’s tournament overseas rights and the gem , the women’s Basketball tournament that is currently valued at about $80,000,000 as a stand alone which turns that tournament as a nice profit maker. The current deal expires this coming year and should at least triple .
It turns out BB is a pretty lucrative sport however the schools that make the money aren’t compensated equitably.
The huge impact of getting $7,000,000 a year for each Big East team is significant and makes a BB school much more attractive in CR . Excluding conferences that earn one or even two units annually is also totally unnecessary . The benefits out weight the cost .
I think you misunderstand the situation. the member schools who are not involved with big time football are perfectly happy with that relationship. IT IS THEIR ASSOCIATION AFTER ALL. You're saying the NCAA should leave the NCAA and become the NCAA.

Reaction Score
March Madness is the only big money maker for the NCAA. They desperately want to hold onto it. There is no reason why it couldn't be managed like the CFP. You're right - UConn would automatically be worth more in CR. When Emerich left the NCAA last year he was making about $3.3mm per year.
Why do you think they covet March Madness?

Reaction Score
Because it pays for D2 and D3 athletics and a ton of revenue for the schools/conferences that play/advance in the big dance.
Exactly - but if we're a top 5-10 team in college BB, then take advantage of it. BTW, what does CFP football contribute to D-2 and D-3 programs? Why should that be on BB via March Madness to fund? Why can't NCAA BB be spun off like football did with CFP? The big football powers control the money in that sport. Why can't the big BB powers control March Madness money too? We've won 20% of the BB Nattys in last 25 years. We definitely get a seat at that table! If all the BB money was freed up for distribution ala football, don't you think UConn would have conference suitors?

For us there would be no more door mat status - pathetically waiting on some conference, stocked with under performing members, to show us some love. The football guys talk about a 28 team prestige league. Why can't the BB powers do something similar? This endless guano of pining away for some conference that uses us as a stalking horse has got to end. Why can't this be done and then have a conference for your olympic sports minus BB?

Reaction Score
Exactly - but if we're a top 5-10 team in college BB, then take advantage of it. BTW, what does CFP football contribute to D-2 and D-3 programs? Why should that be on BB via March Madness to fund? Why can't NCAA BB be spun off like football did with CFP? The big football powers control the money in that sport. Why can't the big BB powers control March Madness money too? We've won 20% of the BB Nattys in last 25 years. We definitely get a seat at that table! If all the BB money was freed up for distribution ala football, don't you think UConn would have conference suitors?

For us there would be no more door mat status - pathetically waiting on some conference, stocked with under performing members, to show us some love. The football guys talk about a 28 team prestige league. Why can't the BB powers do something similar? This endless guano of pining away for some conference that uses us as a stalking horse has got to end. Why can't this be done and then have a conference for your olympic sports minus BB?
The basketball tournament funds the NCAA without that money it doesn't exist.

Reaction Score
Why is basketball tasked with funding all the non revenue sports? Since everything is about money now why don't we scrap all the non revenue sports?
there are three tournaments that produce a profit. Mens basketball, womens basketball, mens ice hockey. So it goes.

Reaction Score
Yormark understands all of this. He’s playing three dimensional chess while the yokels who don’t get it are struggling trying to open their tobacco stained checkers pouches. He still may convince them but he needs our help. Win football games, bring in some must watch star players— (next years QB from Texas?), keep promoting us on social media, invite the negative podcast media voices to our campus. Get any visiting fan there. At the end of yesterday’s NCSt podcast the host asked his UConn podcast guest what there was up there for fans coming to the game to see or do, His answer was “not much around the stadium” ( a Burger King and Cabelas)—ok true). West Hartford or Manchester for dining—(OK), but I was waiting for him to say “and if they have the time, take the well worth it 30 minute drive to our campus in Storrs. You and your fans will be impressed“.
Wasn’t said.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
At this point I wouldn't even accept or entertain an invite from this shitshow of a league.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Gonzaga making the P5 before UConn would legit be all time. I have no words.

Reaction Score
At this point I wouldn't even accept or entertain an invite from this shitshow of a league.
Clearly it would be best for our long term athletic existence and status to be in a P* conference, but it really is a headshaker in terms of the B12's interest in Gonzaga. Are they a top 10/15 bball program? Yes, but after Few moves on could they be the equivalent of Boise State in football? Time will tell. But one thing won't change - Gonzaga is a small institution in a remote, small market so it has more of a chance of becoming insignificant if it's not putting up 25+ win bball seasons. B12 would be much better going after WSU and OSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom