Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My good friend told me we were being played by Yormark. I was blinded. Didn’t want to believe it. Now for him to use the same word Edsall used when he left for Maryland has given me PTSD.

Get used to always being the ‘little engine that could ‘ folks. Conference situation just a metaphor for the state stuck between Boston and New York. Can’t fight geography
I don't think we were being played. I just think that the collapse of the Pac 12 happened more quickly and more completely than anticipated.

Reaction Score
I don’t see that happening. The B1G and the SEC and even the ACC have long standing relationships amongst their members. The really big issue is whether or not the players eventually get paid. Most colleges will not want to have students as employees. It just will not work in the universities structures.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
this regular season in football will prove very important, in particular the games we play against the ACC, if we are competitive and full out at least 2 of those, the big 12 would likely consider us even more

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much clearer you all need it to be said, but CR is dead for us for the next 5-10 years. So head back to the boards you usually frequent because it's silly to think there's some "yet" or in a year or two if our football improves. I wish this were true but it's right there in front of our faces, in his own words. The worst part, is that I don't know what dream scenario includes getting Utah and ASU. When you already have BYU, why is it a dream to also get Utah? When you just got UA, why is it a dream to get ASU, who is inept in all major sports?

It was fun being back here for awhile and dreaming again. Until the next decade! :oops:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much clearer you all need it to be said, but CR is dead for us for the next 5-10 years. So head back to the boards you usually frequent because it's silly to think there's some "yet" or in a year or two if our football improves. I wish this were true but it's right there in front of our faces, in his own words. The worst part, is that I don't know what dream scenario includes getting Utah and ASU. When you already have BYU, why is it a dream to also get Utah? When you just got UA, why is it a dream to get ASU, who is inept in all major sports?

It was fun being back here for awhile and dreaming again. Until the next decade! :oops:
Was it really your dream to be a part of the Big 12?

We're going to be fine and we're going to win more championships.

Reaction Score
Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark says UConn wasn’t added ‘only because dream scenario unfolded’

By KELS DAYTON | wdayton@courant.com | Hartford Courant
PUBLISHED: August 16, 2023 at 11:08 a.m. | UPDATED: August 16, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.

Yormark said the Big 12 was “done” with expansion, at least for now. But he also hinted that what many UConn fans have been scratching their heads about — the fact that basketball seemingly never even receives a passing thought in conference realignment discussions — may be eventually subject to a market correction.

“I’m a firm believer that basketball is undervalued. When you think about our aggregate audience that we deliver to our media partners annually between basketball and football, basketball today is growing. It’s about 25 percent of that total audience. We’re not getting 25 cents on the dollar for basketball,” Yormark said.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to further leverage basketball, especially in that next media cycle. I have gone on record saying, maybe we bifurcate basketball and football (meaning negotiating media rights deals separately), maybe we don’t. We’ll have the optionality for sure to do it, and we’ll see where we can create the most value.”

If the Big 12 and other conferences eventually choose to seek out different deals for basketball and football media rights, it could mean that schools like UConn and Gonzaga would become more valuable additions.

Reaction Score
Irritating that UConn is paired with Gonzaga in these discussions. Gonzaga is more like a Villanova or other BE school. UConn has so much more to offer as a college both athletically and academically as a flagship state school. UConn's fanbase in CT, the rest of New England, and New York City is so much more valuable from a TV revenue standpoint. I guess it is what it is until the football team can turn some heads.
This is convenient rewriting of history by an opportunistic slime-ball. We are nothing like Gonzaga, unless you want to confuse reality with BS

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Was it really your dream to be a part of the Big 12?

We're going to be fine and we're going to win more championships.
Big 12? No. Any spot that secures our financial future as a sports program? Yes. People who think we can continue to just win championships at this level in for a rude awakening when we can't afford a DH or get a replacement for Geno. But keep thinking that everything will be ok.

CL82

Reaction Score
Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark says UConn wasn’t added ‘only because dream scenario unfolded’
"Dream scenario?" It ended up being a nightmare scenario for Connecticut, Stanford and California.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not as an Indy no ... but in a BCS conference our football did win championships
Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Not as an Indy no ... but in a BCS conference our football did win championships
I was talking about national championships. Football won't be winning them and they won't be winning conference championships either. I hope they stay healthy and build off of last year, need a gaudy record.

Reaction Score
we need to get on phone with oliver luck, "New Pac 10" Pacific to Atlantic Conference
UConn
stanford
memphis
cal
tulane
oregon st
washington st
san diego st
smu
usf

Reaction Score
we need to get on phone with oliver luck, "New Pac 10" Pacific to Atlantic Conference
UConn
stanford
memphis
cal
tulane
oregon st
washington st
san diego st
smu
usf
We may be on the phone, but that’s not an easy sell vs the Big East.

Reaction Score
And get someone to pay for it. The BE pays pretty well for non FB but it is not enough.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
UConn
stanford
memphis
cal
tulane
oregon st
washington st
san diego st
smu
usf
so the American conference except we're even more so on a Island by ourselves having to go out to California, Washington, or Oregon every other year , like at least the American had Navy and Temple lol

Reaction Score
so the American conference except we're even more so on a Island by ourselves having to go out to California, Washington, or Oregon every other year , like at least the American had Navy and Temple lol
It would pull in $20M a year per team which would be still way better than the BE even with nightmare travel. Playing Cal and Stanford would be great. Problem is they will bolt at the first opportunity to do so.

Reaction Score
It would pull in $20M a year per team which would be still way better than the BE even with nightmare travel. Playing Cal and Stanford would be great. Problem is they will bolt at the first opportunity to do so.
Wait, what? You're not even talking about just football? You think this would be good for UConn and you think playing Cal and Stanford would be great?

It would be horrible for UConn and both Cal and Stanford absolutely suck in both revenue sports.

pj

Reaction Score
"Dream scenario?" It ended up being a nightmare scenario for Connecticut, Stanford and California.

The B12's dream was to be a regional football conference with Mountain-Plains schools rather than a national all-sports conference on both coasts. Otherwise hard to see why you take Arizona State and Utah ahead of Stanford and UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was talking about national championships. Football won't be winning them and they won't be winning conference championships either. I hope they stay healthy and build off of last year, need a gaudy record.
Using your logic more than half of the current BE members should leave the conference as realistically they'll never win national championships and it isn't very likely they'll win conference championships.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big 12? No. Any spot that secures our financial future as a sports program? Yes. People who think we can continue to just win championships at this level in for a rude awakening when we can't afford a DH or get a replacement for Geno. But keep thinking that everything will be ok.

Anyone who wants to base conference realignment decisions on linear TV contracts is in for a rude awakening when they realize what every insider in the industry already knows: that streaming is going to completely change the model.

Reaction Score
Using your logic more than half of the current BE members should leave the conference as realistically they'll never win national championships and it isn't very likely they'll win conference championships.
My logic on what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom