Yikyak ain't the only place we've got UK's attention | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yikyak ain't the only place we've got UK's attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
By the predominate thinking in that forum Greece, Rome, Spain, Portugal and England are blue bloods. So? Everyone will weigh things to make themselves shine!

This from @LoveThemHusky with a modification: The view to the top is most harsh the closer you get. It's nice to be on top. You can have your history, I'll take our present and our future.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At least we are in agreement with those Kentucky posters about one thing: they don't value Helm's trophies!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I really don't care about the whole blue blood designation. It seems like it's a moving target depending upon who you talk to. I've decided that I'll just have to be satisfied with being the winningest program of the modern era. Somehow I'm alright with that.

Reaction Score
Hey… We can all appreciate a long, rich winning tradition. UCONN will never be able to point to basketball championships dating back to the 40's.

The Kentucky fan base will always win the "Blue-Blood" discussion so that is why they choose the bring it up on their forum (why not?)… UCONN's position in this blue blood community is certainly something we like to talk about.

Of course, the fact of the matter is most of the folks (if not all) talking about this rich tradition weren't even born when Kentucky was winning their initial championship (1948).

The UCONN Men have 4 National Championships & most of us have been lucky enough to witness everyone of them. UCONN (men's hoop) is the most successful program the last 16 years & it's not even close.

We win that argument every time...
Kentucky was center state in the 1950 BB scandals that almost killed BB.
Those scandals deeply wounded Northeast Basketball ,it was in a coma and reborn with the BE.
One could say that UConns appearance on the big stage would have happened under Hugh Greer , accept for the scandals. Our 50 team lost a tough game to St Johns.at MSG.,in the NCAA final appearance there.NY and gambling became Synomous to the NCAA board.Even the rich traditioned NIT began to wither away.
So Kentucky misdeeds are partially to blame for our somewhat recent Renaissance.

Reaction Score
I'm not above it. I love it. I love talking about basketball within our borders and outside them. I like to know how we are perceived by other programs.

There's a oft-crossed line between talking about how we're perceived by other programs and spending time on other teams' message boards so we always know when to be offended.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There's a oft-crossed line between talking about how we're perceived by other programs and spending time on other teams' message boards so we always know when to be offended.

Agree to disagree. I don't see that line. I think its part of what makes sports fun. If anyone here is letting it someone else's thoughts on a message board legitimately cause them distress, then I see the line. But tit'for'tats like this thread and the one it points to are kind of the point of message boards aren't they? Going and getting a thread like this to talk about, for me, is exponentially more fun then grinders and pizza.

Its not so much hey guys pick up your pitchforks and torches, its more like grab your binoculars and popcorn. So to speak.

Reaction Score
When doing college basketball statistics, I don't take into effect records before 1986ish. The game was so much different before then. It wasn't even basketball. It was so archaic.
Well, no wonder my exploits are not listed.

Reaction Score
I get that Kentucky doesn't like Duke, but these people being unwilling to call Duke a blue-blood is just weird, and doesn't say much for their judgment.

Reaction Score
I can't understand knocking UConn for recent success anyway. There's so much more parity in college basketball now than there was back then, and there are way more teams that participate. The tournament has gotten harder to win, not easier. UConn is excelling in an era where there really aren't any gimme games.

5 of Kentucky's championships came in an era when less than 64 teams participated, including in 1948 and 1949 when there were only 8 teams in the tournament. 4 of their championships came in an era when the game was still largely segregated.

Reaction Score
I can't understand knocking UConn for recent success anyway. There's so much more parity in college basketball now than there was back then, and there are way more teams that participate. The tournament has gotten harder to win, not easier. UConn is excelling in an era where there really aren't any gimme games.

5 of Kentucky's championships came in an era when less than 64 teams participated, including in 1948 and 1949 when there were only 8 teams in the tournament. 4 of their championships came in an era when the game was still largely segregated.

That they value segregation-era titles more than modern ones indicates what to you?

Reaction Score
That they value segregation-era titles more than modern ones indicates what to you?
I don't really think that's a fair characterization.

It's fairly obvious their reasons for valuing their "history" and "tradition" over our modern success has more to do with not wanting to welcome any newcomers to their exclusive club than it does with racism.

If the situations were reversed I think a bunch of our fans would argue against their "blue blood" status as well. Duke won all of their titles in the modern era, and still a lot of their fans wouldn't consider us blue bloods.

It is what it is. I'm just pointing out that our first 4 championships were objectively more difficult accomplishments than their first 4 championships.

Reaction Score
Ones thing that annoys the hell outta me is how people act like UConn only started having success in 1999...and ignore the fact that they dominated a very good Big East from about 1990 on.

If you ignore the timeline of when UConn first made the Final Four/won the title and look at the past ~25 years as a whole, their success is right up there with anyone else in the country. A quarter century of dominance is a long freakin' time.

Reaction Score
I get that Kentucky doesn't like Duke, but these people being unwilling to call Duke a blue-blood is just weird, and doesn't say much for their judgment.

Right. Duke didn't win a title until 1991, but they were in a title game in 1964 and 1978. So, yeah. Also, Duke is one Final Four behind Kentucky...and had passed them for total Final Fours back in 2004 (until this year when UK took the lead again). It's weird to get on your high horse with UConn and titles (they don't matter! only history and Final Fours!) and then, when confronted with a team that has roughly the same number of Final Fours (and more for some time...and has them going back into the 1960s) start talking about titles again.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm okay with that. It's all how you define it. If it refers to the time period of success only, then Duke and us would be out. It's an irrelevancy to me anyway. I'd rather be looking at the new trophies then learning about championships that happened before I was born.

Reaction Score
Guess you must be issued an official Blue Blood card to carry around in your wallet. Saying UConn was nothing before Calhoun, is like saying Duke was nothing before K, and Louisville was nothing before Crum. Nonsense.
Duke was something before Coach K and that's one of the reasons I don't think his success at Duke measures up to Calhoun's. There was really nothing in Storrs before Calhoun, except a decent regional program with horrible facilities. Duke had considerable success prior to Coach K coming to Durham.

Reaction Score
Duke was something before Coach K and that's one of the reasons I don't think his success at Duke measures up to Calhoun's. There was really nothing in Storrs before Calhoun, except a decent regional program with horrible facilities. Duke had considerable success prior to Coach K coming to Durham.
I obviously love Calhoun, and I think it's much, MUCH closer than the general public realizes ... but come on.

Four titles and a 11 Final Fours in this era is incredible. No matter how much prior success Duke had and how much ESPN hypes up Duke, it's hard to put anyone besides Wooden ahead of K.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
d615fc471f426ae30e5dbf1ea617a54afad789be003841e8b9cddf42dd8c9e59.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads