Yet Another Rutgers Bombshell. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yet Another Rutgers Bombshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chris Christie is on the case..... whatever the outcome..... I hope justice is done.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree and disagree with KnightBridge. She is not the one for Rutgers, even is she is reformed. But people capable of performing as she did at Tenn do not change - they just knock it off cuz they are taken out of the situation. The tendency to abuse power will resurface and, of course, she has no moral authority to deal with the problem that may be embedded in the RU Athletic Department. An article on Fox News is disquieting. It reports her as saying in her introductory presser that the problem "is already fixed." That statement may explain her selection.

I agree and disagree with you. In her case, while I don't know that she is "reformed" (I was taking that from the prior posted Deadspin piece), I am deeply troubled because, to be blunt, she seems to be a liar. Doesn't remember the incident?? Doesn't remember being in someone's wedding and flatly says there is no video (that would be the video I saw on-line). I have zilch tolerance for liars.

But I disagree in principle that folks can't change. Some do, some don't.

I also doubt that there is any embedded issue in the athletic department, unless disfunction is an embedded issue. Probably more due to poor - financially driven - personnel decisions on an administrative level than anything else.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The lying part on so many particulars is so obvious that it voids her appointment without further discussion.

Unless, of course, that her memory loss is so extensive that she is disqualified on intellectual/medical grounds.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Unless Herman has early onset dementia she has no valid reason to forget any detail of the circumstances at UTenn. At least Joe Pat could claim he was old. Maybe PHS can help her get some good counseling about her disability, but she is in no condition to be running the athletic department of a major university, or okay, even a mid-major one in this case. I am sure now that Chris guy has disposed of the likelihood of any global warming situation and made the NJ shore safe for this year's hurricane season, he can quickly shift his ample political weight into cleaning up the latest Rutgers mess.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Rutgers must act and do so quickly to cancel this most unfortunate hire.

There are a couple of precedents that may be useful. A few years ago, Notre Dame hired a football coach, then discovered he had a phony resume. He was "un-hired." And Pitt hired a football coach who got into mischief (not on the job yet). Another "un-hire." It can be done. And must.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rutgers must act and do so quickly to cancel this most unfortunate hire.

There are a couple of precedents that may be useful. A few years ago, Notre Dame hired a football coach, then discovered he had a phony resume. He was "un-hired." And Pitt hired a football coach who got into mischief (not on the job yet). Another "un-hire." It can be done. And must.

I happen to agree.

Unfortunately, it appears it is going to be an issue with a whole bunch of people - former co-workers, fellow coaches, coaches and AD's she worked for, people she supervised and coaches from Tennessee when she was there, folks from USA volleyball - who apparently have come forward and pretty much claimed that the claims in the letter are either false (those who claim to know) or not characteristic of the person they know (those who were not involved).

Even if it was eventually shown that the accusations were false, I still question someone who appears to have lied about it.

Reaction Score
Well she is allowed due process, and should get it, but I am tired of people at this level who blatantly lie, and cover up..... and for that reason..... I hope thye dig up the dirt.....

Yes, UT former student-athletes may be lying, but why would they?...and to continue the thought..... she has absolutely no recollection of any of that going on? Come on!

I am not for or against.... don't have a dog in this fight..... but I hope the truth comes out.....

Yes, someone referred to Notre Dame and O'Leary, who fabricated a UNH masters degree.... and in thee here and now at Rutgers...... the school itself billed new hoops coach Eddie Jordan as having graduated from Rutgers (he didn't).....

Many issues at Rutgers and a rough start to their Big 10 inclusion.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
About 50 years ago we often glorified behavior like Herman's. I remember seeing a sports piece on the coach of the Japanese national volleyball team back then who took smallish young women from one of the factories there and used totally abusive and relentless training methods to make a hardened squad that would drive finally to the gold medal in 1972.

You could also warp back to 1972 and find doctors saying autism is attributed to the mother. It was a completely different time.

Also, Asian culture regarding perceived authority is COMPLETELY different than ours. A professor of one of my gradate courses once told our class a story about her conducting a research experiment about foreign accents and their intelligibility. She met with a bunch of Asian TAs at UConn and discussed the study. At the end of the discussion, she suggested that everyone meet up at a nearby venue to plan the experiment. Everyone nodded in agreement. When the time for the meeting came and my professor was there waiting for everyone, nobody showed up. So, she scheduled another meeting on campus where she made it abundantly clear where, when, and why they would meet the next day. Again, everyone nodded in apparent agreement. Again, nobody showed up. In many Asian cultures, you simply do not say "no" to persons of assumed authority, even if you have no real intention on following up on anything.

Needless to say, what that that piece of pulled would ever fly here in the West.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
If you're Rutgers, the lawsuit settlement for 150K should be enough easily-findable evidence to say that she was not the candidate they needed. We've all made mistakes - we haven't all had to pay out six figures for them.

Reaction Score
Unless Herman has early onset dementia she has no valid reason to forget any detail of the circumstances at UTenn. At least Joe Pat could claim he was old. Maybe PHS can help her get some good counseling about her disability, but she is in no condition to be running the athletic department of a major university, or okay, even a mid-major one in this case. I am sure now that Chris guy has disposed of the likelihood of any global warming situation and made the NJ shore safe for this year's hurricane season, he can quickly shift his ample political weight into cleaning up the latest Rutgers mess.

Three feet of snow on Memorial Day in upstate NY totally confirms global warming...

Reaction Score
I wonder if C. Viv. will still be locking players out of the locker room and taking away their privileges.

I hope you are aware that Geno has locked his players out of the locker room and made them do their own laundry a number of times during his career. Just a couple of years ago he banned the freshman from the locker room when Bria and Stef were freshman.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo:
And how Coach Auriemma got me [to the Hall of Fame] was everyday calling me the worst post player in America, and my favorite - the dumbest smart person in America.

And saying it with all the love that you can imagine he was saying it with.

Tina Charles:
And after she became the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in Huskies history on the same night -- with UConn finishing out another perfect regular season with a win at Notre Dame on Monday -- Charles thanked coach Geno Auriemma for keeping his belief in her.

"I believed in what I could do, but it wasn't the same as what he believed in for me," Charles said. "My first two years here, I would take possessions off. Or I would just let somebody else do it. So I had to have that mindset that, 'This is yours,' and to own it."

Auriemma, of course, has sort of made life "harder" -- at least in practice and games, that is -- for Charles these past four years. She's very grateful that happened.

Kara Wolters:
"I went into his office one day and said, 'Why are you always on me? I can never please you. Why are you always yelling at me?' And he told me, 'The day I don't yell is the day you should worry because that will mean I don't see the potential in you anymore.

"I left his office thinking, 'Wow, he must really like me.

"The program does a great job balancing things. The goal is to win basketball games, but he knows he's working with a bunch of girls and they are very emotional at times.

"Parents send their kids to UConn because he likes to win, but he takes care of his athletes. It's not an easy place to play, but the rewards for doing so are great. It's hard to do what UConn does, and you can't do it without hard work. Some people are just not cut out for it."

[On edit] Diana Taurasi:
Taurasi on how she handles being yelled at by Auriemma during practice: "I give him a look, to make it look that he got to me." Then, after practice, she'll put her arm around her coach and ask, "How's the wife and kids?"

Taurasi on Auriemma's true personality: "As much as he wants to show all that machismo, he's an Italian softie. He drinks a little bit of wine, and that's all he is."

Demanding someone you care about becomes the best person they can be is not the same as being abusive.

Sometimes I wonder why you root for UConn, plot. You don't seem to like much about the program.

Early on there was at least one player that left the program because of Auriemma's coaching "style." I can't remember her name, but I think it was discussed in Geno's book.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I hope you are aware that Geno has locked his players out of the locker room and made them do their own laundry a number of times during his career. Just a couple of years ago he banned the freshman from the locker room when Bria and Stef were freshman.
And? Viv is infamous for these types of measures, and lately little else. Now that a microscope is scrutinizing that athletic department, I imagine her methods will have to be adjusted.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You could also warp back to 1972 and find doctors saying autism is attributed to the mother. It was a completely different time.

Needless to say, what that that piece of pulled would ever fly here in the West.

.......Asian culture is COMPLETELY different than ours.......

Just saying.
Well, actually, there was a great deal of interest and admiration in the West about the techniques employed in Japan at that time, and I think you're being a little naive about the "Asian obedience" factor mentioned here. I have seen local football coaches acting at the same abusive level of the Japanese VB coach, players giving at least the same amount of deference and acceptance of punishing training, and parents perhaps a little uneasily but still just buying into it all. Crowd and team behavior is pretty much the same all over the world, and recent revelations about what coaches will do and school administrations ignore in the US puts the lie to any theory that this all just an offshoot of Tiger mom upbringing.

Uconner said:
Three feet of snow on Memorial Day in upstate NY totally confirms global warming....
I hope that's a joking quip, because its actually all the plain old stats for rising temperatures and rising sea levels around the world that confirm global warming, and the fact that you're standing in three feet of snow on the Whiteface ski mountain up north (isn't it always snow-covered on Whiteface MT.? I mean, how did it get its name?) while today a lot of people down in New Mexico are already getting their skins roasted off are both just small blips in the overall stats. Plus with temperatures in the 70s up there in NY today, that snow should be pretty quickly gone on the mountain before the ski diehards get their last runs in. As a kid I remember having a great snowball fight on July 4th going through a Rocky Mountain pass in Idaho, and I didn't assume somehow the world was cooling.

Personally, as a guy who works in Hoboken, NJ, I'm just hoping we can use Chrissie boy to plug one of the big low-lying gaps at the north side of town to hold back the water the next time a hurricane blows through. He's gotta be of some use.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I am sure now that Chris guy has disposed of the likelihood of any global warming situation and made the NJ shore safe for this year's hurricane season, he can quickly shift his ample political weight into cleaning up the latest Rutgers mess.

Do we really have to bring the world of politics into this? Over the past few months you've made several posts that have contained some political comment within them. Can't you find a way to keep your political snipes to yourself or to post them where they belong... on the Cesspool forum?

Look at what you've started in this thread...

This is getting tiring.

YOPB

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NO POLITICS!!!!

Not sure why I have to keep repeating myself...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And? Viv is infamous for these types of measures, and lately little else. Now that a microscope is scrutinizing that athletic department, I imagine her methods will have to be adjusted.
If she has done them in years, it is news to Rutgers fans.

Those methods no longer work, and didn't work the last time it was reported she tried them (4 years ago?).

In any case, as with Geno's and most coaches forays into that type of discipline, it is due to a lack of effort. That has not been Rutgers problem of late, it has been - if it can be defined at all - poor execution.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Despite the Star-Ledger report, Barchi said Hermann's entire career is stellar and ''We remain confident that we have selected an individual who will work in the best interests of all of our student athletes, our athletics teams, and the university.''
Speaking to four reporters on a conference call in which each participant was allowed two questions, Hermann denied having knowledge of a letter written by the 15 players on Tennessee's volleyball team. She said her former boss never heard of it and she never heard her former players make the allegation.
Yahoo Sports

So, the the AD is a pathological liar and the College President has his head deep in the sand.
Back in the days when I ran a orchestra, when you messed up. you apologized and asked people's forgiveness.
Is this just Rutgers?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann said President Robert Barchi assured her she would not lose her job despite allegations of abuse.
"It's been communicated to me (by Barchi) that I'm the athletic director and will lead Rutgers into the Big Ten," Hermann told ESPN on Monday.
ESPN

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hopefully, it is just Rutgers.

Well, maybe PSU has cleaned up its act and needs someone else to take over the roll of the B1G's abuse recycling system. I mean, you gotta be kidding me. The most flagrant case of coaching beastliness of recent times is followed up by the hiring of a coach for the AD who did much the same type of insulting behavior, and the Knights' prez just says, "You have our blessing." Ah, just why?

I can attest there is definitely something in the water in NJ, because every month or so we have the water supply at work go all gross and we are sent home. A bunch of people are drinking some funny koolaid or other toxic stuff down here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh from the title of the post, I thought you meant this:
snooki-2010-grammy-awards-10.jpg

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo:
And how Coach Auriemma got me [to the Hall of Fame] was everyday calling me the worst post player in America, and my favorite - the dumbest smart person in America.

And saying it with all the love that you can imagine he was saying it with.

Tina Charles:
And after she became the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in Huskies history on the same night -- with UConn finishing out another perfect regular season with a win at Notre Dame on Monday -- Charles thanked coach Geno Auriemma for keeping his belief in her.

"I believed in what I could do, but it wasn't the same as what he believed in for me," Charles said. "My first two years here, I would take possessions off. Or I would just let somebody else do it. So I had to have that mindset that, 'This is yours,' and to own it."

Auriemma, of course, has sort of made life "harder" -- at least in practice and games, that is -- for Charles these past four years. She's very grateful that happened.

Kara Wolters:
"I went into his office one day and said, 'Why are you always on me? I can never please you. Why are you always yelling at me?' And he told me, 'The day I don't yell is the day you should worry because that will mean I don't see the potential in you anymore.

"I left his office thinking, 'Wow, he must really like me.

"The program does a great job balancing things. The goal is to win basketball games, but he knows he's working with a bunch of girls and they are very emotional at times.

"Parents send their kids to UConn because he likes to win, but he takes care of his athletes. It's not an easy place to play, but the rewards for doing so are great. It's hard to do what UConn does, and you can't do it without hard work. Some people are just not cut out for it."

[On edit] Diana Taurasi:
Taurasi on how she handles being yelled at by Auriemma during practice: "I give him a look, to make it look that he got to me." Then, after practice, she'll put her arm around her coach and ask, "How's the wife and kids?"

Taurasi on Auriemma's true personality: "As much as he wants to show all that machismo, he's an Italian softie. He drinks a little bit of wine, and that's all he is."

Demanding someone you care about becomes the best person they can be is not the same as being abusive.

Sometimes I wonder why you root for UConn, plot. You don't seem to like much about the program.

Nan, you have had so many great posts. But this one is a classic!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom