Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

Reaction Score
I read there is a group of studio legends touring under the name of The Immediate Family. Sounded interesting and would check it out if they came to the area. Turns out they are playing some place called TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik in S. Windsor. I never heard of it and I live in S. Windsor. Anyone know the deal there? The website is basically a bunch of microphones.
It is a recording/video studio, as @storrsroars responded with. Yes, Clinic and concert there. If you would like to see a regular show by them they are playing here also: The Immediate Family @ Wall Street Theater Norwalk CT

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is a recording/video studio, as @storrsroars responded with. Yes, Clinic and concert there. If you would like to see a regular show by them they are playing here also: The Immediate Family @ Wall Street Theater Norwalk CT
That's what my friend said. I said, lemme think, five minute drive on a Sunday or a 90-minute hike featuring I-95 at rush hour. I'm going, I was just asking if anyone had been there before. I wonder if they will record the concert for YouTube or something.

Reaction Score
That's what my friend said. I said, lemme think, five minute drive on a Sunday or a 90-minute hike featuring I-95 at rush hour. I'm going, I was just asking if anyone had been there before. I wonder if they will record the concert for YouTube or something.
Never been but I would think they would record some tunes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read these guys were at the HoF ceremony last night supporting Carole King.

Reaction Score
Surprises me too. I think their music is great and Todd Park Mohr is a very good guitarist. I love his dedication to the blues too. He put out tribute albums of both Robert Johnson's and Willie Dixon's music.
Todd Park Mohr is an amazing guitarist and vocalist, I'll never understand how Big Head Todd isn't more popular.

Reaction Score
After a weird and sobering week, I was so fortunate to spend Thursday night under the relaxing and slightly absurd world of Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon at the Wall Street Theater in Norwalk, CT.

I've seen Leo Kottke solo three times and seen a handful of Phish shows, but this was the first time I've watched this duo perform together even though I've listened to their work for twenty years.

Circle back to the early 2000s, I was in high school, in a jam band during Phish's first big hiatus. During that time, its members released a bunch of side projects with the Kottke/Gordon duo being my favorite. Compounded with the fact that the father of the guitarist of my band was a big Kottke fan and owned a few of his vinyls, that legacy interested me into learned more about Kottke's large discography throughout high school and college.

When this show was first announced in the fall, I immediately nabbed a front row balcony seat and I am so glad I did. The show was 100% acoustic with most of the songs w/ Mike on bass and Leo on guitar/vocals, but there were a few Leo solo ballads and Mike sang two songs solo on guitar too.

Leo's voice ages so well. He's 76, but his deep, garbling baritone fits the music greatly. He's a renown finger-picker, so seeing him a half-step slower is an adjustment, but their sludgier songs sounded awesome. I was also impressed with Mike's improved singing ability, who is arguably now the most gifted vocalist in Phish (though the standards are low).

If anyone has ever seen Kottke live, his epic digressions are part of the set, so much so that it makes Gordon seem like the "normal" one, but it's all in good fun.

My buddy's father passed two years ago from brain cancer, so I was thinking about him a lot during this show. Overall, very grateful I attended this concert and I can't remember how long it's been since I felt so nourished after a show.

IMG_9601.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After a weird and sobering week, I was so fortunate to spend Thursday night under the relaxing and slightly absurd world of Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon at the Wall Street Theater in Norwalk, CT.

I've seen Leo Kottke solo three times and seen a handful of Phish shows, but this was the first time I've watched this duo perform together even though I've listened to their work for twenty years.

Circle back to the early 2000s, I was in high school, in a jam band during Phish's first big hiatus. During that time, its members released a bunch of side projects with the Kottke/Gordon duo being my favorite. Compounded with the fact that the father of the guitarist of my band was a big Kottke fan and owned a few of his vinyls, that legacy interested me into learned more about Kottke's large discography throughout high school and college.

When this show was first announced in the fall, I immediately nabbed a front row balcony seat and I am so glad I did. The show was 100% acoustic with most of the songs w/ Mike on bass and Leo on guitar/vocals, but there were a few Leo solo ballads and Mike sang two songs solo on guitar too.

Leo's voice ages so well. He's 76, but his deep, garbling baritone fits the music greatly. He's a renown finger-picker, so seeing him a half-step slower is an adjustment, but their sludgier songs sounded awesome. I was also impressed with Mike's improved singing ability, who is arguably now the most gifted vocalist in Phish (though the standards are low).

If anyone has ever seen Kottke live, his epic digressions are part of the set, so much so that it makes Gordon seem like the "normal" one, but it's all in good fun.

My buddy's father passed two years ago from brain cancer, so I was thinking about him a lot during this show. Overall, very grateful I attended this concert and I can't remember how long it's been since I felt so nourished after a show.

View attachment 71917 ll
Glad to hear Leo is still delivering the goods. An act I'd always meant to see but never got around to it. Used to play his mid/late 70s stuff till I wore out the vinyl.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 71917
Sweet Emotion!

Reaction Score
I’ve got a few shows lined up for the next months:

May - Bill Frisell Trio at the Park City Music Hall, Bridgeport, CT (my first show at the remodeled former Acoustic Cafe)

June - Robert Plant/Allison Krauss at Forest Hills, NY

Sigur Ros at the Beacon (two days before flying to Iceland, so perfect time to see them for the first time!)

July - Beach House at College Street Music Hall, New Haven (it’ll be my fourth time seeing Beach House, first time at CSMH)

Tried getting Wilco tickets for April, but they were way more expensive than I expected (~$100 for cheap seats). A few local festivals will be visited too (I love Caramoor in Katonah, NY).

What do you all have lined up?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I saw Kool and the Gang last weekend in AC. Our group was about 20 years younger than the average ticket holder but it was great to see live music again.

Looking at possibility Motley Crew/Def Leppard/Poison at Citizens Bank Park in June which would give me enough time to grow my hair out…

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks like I might get to use my Santana tickets at the Sun this summer. Los Lobos next week. I'm hoping Kraftwerk at MASS MoCA is as cool as it sounds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was debating buying tickets to see Paul McCartney at Fenway June 8th. The venue blows for concerts and tickets aren't cheap. I'm also debating going to see Ringo at Tanglewood two weeks later. I have to wonder whether Paul will show.

So far for this year:
Train with Jewel and Blues Traveler June 8th Xfinity Mansfield (guess I won't see Sir Paul). Always liked Blues Traveler, never saw them live.
Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick - Aug 12th. Xfinity Mansfield rescheduled tickets from cancelled show last year.
Elton John July 28th Gillette stadium- rescheduled from last year as well.
Elvis Costello August 13th - Leader Bank Pavilion (my favorite venue). Somehow never saw him live.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was debating buying tickets to see Paul McCartney at Fenway June 8th. The venue blows for concerts and tickets aren't cheap. I'm also debating going to see Ringo at Tanglewood two weeks later. I have to wonder whether Paul will show.
I've only seen McCartney twice: 1990 at Berkley Memorial Stadium and 2017 at MSG. Although the shows were 27 years apart, I remember enough to say that the arena show is definitely preferable to the stadium show as a venue.

The daughter I took to the 2017 show has said that seeing him play "Hey Jude" is the happiest moment of her life. The fact that I am getting misty just typing that tells you all you need to know about whether I think it is worth the steep price. And the show was amazing.

And I would say no way he shows up at the Ringo show.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can't get much more varied than this.

Due to a crazy amounts of cancellations and last minute plans I found myself accompanying Mrs. Diesel to ABBA mania last Friday night. Freebies from a neighbor who couldn't attend. Stayed for the first set and then walked outside to catch end of a Mardi Gras parade.

This Friday is Bad Fish, a Sublime tribute band.

Other than Mrs. Diesel and me I don't expect to see any of the ABBA Mania attendees at Bad Fish.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've only seen McCartney twice: 1990 at Berkley Memorial Stadium and 2017 at MSG. Although the shows were 27 years apart, I remember enough to say that the arena show is definitely preferable to the stadium show as a venue.

The daughter I took to the 2017 show has said that seeing him play "Hey Jude" is the happiest moment of her life. The fact that I am getting misty just typing that tells you all you need to know about whether I think it is worth the steep price. And the show was amazing.

And I would say no way he shows up at the Ringo show.
And I've never seen him. So it's certainly bittersweet to miss it. Not sure why he's doing it at Fenway other than a nostalgic venue for a nostalgic performer. It's the worst venue imaginable.

Reaction Score
The show at Ridgefield Playhouse last night was very good!

A band of Todd Rundgren, Jason Scheff (singer and bass player from Chicago), Christopher Cross, Denny Laine (from Wings and Moody Blues) and members of Badfinger played two sets of songs from Revolver and Rubber Soul.

Intertwined in the sets were a handful of songs from each artist: my personal favorite was seeing Todd Rundgren. What a character: his image, stage presence and songs remind me so much of Ariel Pink.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Intertwined in the sets were a handful of songs from each artist: my personal favorite was seeing Todd Rundgren. What a character: his image, stage presence and songs remind me so much of Ariel Pink.
Did Rundgren do "Tin Foil Hat" by any chance?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The show at Ridgefield Playhouse last night was very good!

A band of Todd Rundgren, Jason Scheff (singer and bass player from Chicago), Christopher Cross, Denny Laine (from Wings and Moody Blues) and members of Badfinger played two sets of songs from Revolver and Rubber Soul.

Joey Molland is all that's left of Badfinger. Did someone rise from the dead?

I'd probably go see something like that. Similar to Ringo's All-Star Band. Although I have no idea who Scheff is and I despise every Christopher Cross song, but recently learned he's an awesome guitarist.

There's no question in my mind that The Analogues are the best and most faithful band to recreate the post-1965 albums live, but a group of rock luminaries like that, I probably wouldn't care about them getting it accurate, it would just be fun.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Scored tickets to Blondie in Boston. So I'm currently scheduled to see Elvis Costello and Blondie on back to back nights. But such is the life when marrying a record business girl who used to go to every show for free. It means she doesn't get to question my whiskey expenses. Taking my daughter to Blondie as well.

@storrsroars looked at Ringo's All Star Band tickets in Providence, Worcester and Tanglewood. Holy crap those are expensive tickets. I'm a bit shocked by this. I was plenty fond of Beatles tunes as played in Yesterday, so accuracy isn't really required for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Scored tickets to Blondie in Boston. So I'm currently scheduled to see Elvis Costello and Blondie on back to back nights. But such is the life when marrying a record business girl who used to go to every show for free. It means she doesn't get to question my whiskey expenses. Taking my daughter to Blondie as well.

@storrsroars looked at Ringo's All Star Band tickets in Providence, Worcester and Tanglewood. Holy crap those are expensive tickets. I'm a bit shocked by this. I was plenty fond of Beatles tunes as played in Yesterday, so accuracy isn't really required for me.
Honestly, I wouldn't go see Ringo now if tix were cheap. Just don't care for the current band or their individual catalogues. Now, if through some magic we could see the Jack Bruce/Peter Frampton version again... I'd pay! That show was amazing. The two of them should've done an album together.

Blondie... I couldn't do it. "Maria", to me is peak Debbie and Clem, even if it was 20 years after they first became big. Since 2004 they've slowed the tempo, changed the key, cut some of the high note refrains, and it's just not the same song. But if your faves are from the 70s, clips I've seen from '18-'19 shows show they can still deliver on most of those. Have fun and hope your daughter enjoys it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom