Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Yarders post covid concert/s that they would like to attend?

Reaction Score
Cool Cool Cool is playing a free show at Bailey Beach Rowayton 7/30. BYOB free for all
Last I checked, Rowayton shows are for “residents”. Would heathens from other parts of Norwalk, like myself, be permitted to this exclusive event?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I caught Ian Anderson at Oakdale I was knew I would like it fine. But it ended up being even better than I had expected. So of course I'm going to see Jethro Tull at Mohegan coming up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When I caught Ian Anderson at Oakdale I was knew I would like it fine. But it ended up being even better than I had expected. So of course I'm going to see Jethro Tull at Mohegan coming up.
I was a Jethro Tull fan as a kid. Loved the unique sound. Wife doesn't like them so I'll miss that one, but it was intriguing, hope it's a great show for you.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Caught Ryan Montbleau for the first time last night at the The Warehouse at FTC in Fairfield.

I initially got tickets weeks ago for a chance to catch his bassist, Marc Friedman, play live. Originally a member of the Providence/Boston based jazz/jam/indie band, The Slip, he was a formative bass hero of mine in high school and college whose style inspired me to purchase my fretless Fender Jazz bass as a college graduation present (he played a fretless Precision).

Anywho, back to the show. It was "fine". Montbleau's band was very talented: Friedman and the drummer were a tight rhythm section with a diverse arsenal of various grooves. The guy on keys was subtle but he ripped some beautiful solos on the Hammond B3. I was a fan of the guitarist too, played a Strat was a very classic Strat sound (think Nile Rodgers, but a bit softer in tone) and never did too much. Overall, no one in the band was flashy, but all four guys were super talented.

Montbleau had some endearing qualities, but his songs didn't really resonate with me: like picture Jason Mraz appealing to a jam band crowd, a song about longing for love followed by a song with psilocybin in the lyrics.

I might have liked the show more twenty years ago, but also the crowd was pretty dead considering the overall positive vibe of the show. Has anyone else been to shows at The Warehouse? I've been to three or four and each time the crowd is super chatty and "too cool"...I mean, it's Fairfield, a lovely town in itself, but not a place where I'd imagine people letting loose for a few hours...like too many guys telling non-receptive ears about the quality of whatever beer they just got from the bar and too many women talking to themselves about the next vacation they plan on taking...

Ryan is excellent, a wonderful writer and . He's worked real hard at this. FTC is like what you said.

If you want a fun night out I would recommend giving him a chance in his offbeat bawdy, duo with Hayley Jane called "Yes Darling"
at FTC on 6/23 amd 6/24 Its great Date night stuff.

It's really clever and entertaining it's a side project schtick for both of them, but it is pretty funny. Heres a sample.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Anybody temped by the U2 residency shows in Vegas? New venue looks pretty amazing.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
JRAD brought absolute heat last night and packed the bowl at Westville. I don't understand why anyone who waste there time/$ on Slow & Co or DSO instead of Sir Joe's band
Screenshot_20230514-082038_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Just picked up tickets for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at Bethel Woods in NY on July 1. Was able to get tickets in the shed for $110 as opposed to $315 at Tanglewood the next day.

Reaction Score
My wife is dragging me to the Dead concert at Fenway in June. I'll make the best of it. The crowd is always great people watching.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I just custied up for a $100 Saturday ticket for Sound on Sound. Never seen RHCP, love Steel Pulse and my homies DBB are on the bill. Can take a nap during Trey.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ryan is excellent, a wonderful writer and . He's worked real hard at this. FTC is like what you said.

If you want a fun night out I would recommend giving him a chance in his offbeat bawdy, duo with Hayley Jane called "Yes Darling"
at FTC on 6/23 amd 6/24 Its great Date night stuff.

It's really clever and entertaining it's a side project schtick for both of them, but it is pretty funny. Heres a sample.

Liked Hayley Jane (best smile ever) when she was with the Primates. Hadn't heard what she was doing since Covid. She's gonna be in Hartford at Infinity Hall in August (4th).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Heading to the Pixies tonight in Boston at the Fenway MGM place. Looking forward to checking it out. My wife is annoyed because Frank Black cut many of her favorites out of the set list. I can't understand anything he sings anyway.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Sea Music Festival takes place this weekend, June 9, 10, and 11 in Essex, CT. If you are into folk music, sea chanties, and songs about the sea, among other things, this is certainly worth going to. This is the successor to the Sea Music Festival that used to be held at Mystic Seaport for many years prior to the pandemic, this is the 2nd year it is being held in Essex.

2023 Festival – Connecticut Sea Music Festival

ctseamusicfest.org
ctseamusicfest.org

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, a quick review of the Pixies at MGM Music Hall at Fenway

Venue: new, clean, lots of bars, including a roof bar. Expensive. Seats will make you think you’re at Fenway. Bad legroom, tight. Bathroom situation sucks. Sound is good but the layout isn’t good, bad seat angles.

Pixies: sounded good. As usual just cruised through a list of short songs. Minimal audience interaction. It’s a good band but I don’t think the live show is great. Strobe lights in the audiences eyes most of the show to cut down on people filming them. I’m sure that’s why. They are one of the YouTube banner bands like the Eagles. I’m convinced Frank Black is just an A - Hole.

Franz Ferdinand: confess I thought it was more a pop band. 5 piece Post-punk band from Glasgow. Terrible name. If they wanted to pay homage to Scots in WWI “Trenchfoot” would be a good band name. Singer Alex has a great voice. Seems classically trained. Band was sharp, songs were good, female drummer was excellent. They won me over, apart from the name.
IMG_1564.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's concert season. Joan Jett opening for Bryan Adams. TD Garden. I hate basketball/hockey arenas as concert venues.

Joan Jett was in great form, looks healthy and can still play and sing. Really got the crowd going. Saw her at UConn in, I think 1986 at Spring Weekend at Memorial, just before Modern English went on.

Bryan Adams was really outstanding. I was a little shocked. I know the hits of course, and love Summer of 69, but the guy is a good performer and really knows how to make a song special in a live show. So much different than the Pixies. Crowd was totally into it. His guitar player Keith Scott was fantastic, mostly on an old sunburst Stat that had been worn to bare wood. I honestly liked every song they played. I may have criminality underrated Bryan Adams all this time. The Canadians don't need to apologize.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My wife is dragging me to the Dead concert at Fenway in June. I'll make the best of it. The crowd is always great people watching.
I went to two Dead concerts in the old New Haven Coliseum years ago and saw an amazing number of drugs being swallowed, snorted, and smoked. The blue haze that hovered by the ceiling wasn’t from cigarettes. It was a real education

Reaction Score
View attachment 88993

@Hey Adrien! and I caught Soulive at the Blue Note. A band we saw up in Northampton in 04' from UConn and a handful of times since. Always a great show.
Great show!

Soulive was working through some sound issues early on with the clavinet, but powered through without a hitch. Blue Note shows are notorious for their brevity, but it was definitely the longest set I've seen there, clocking in at a solid 90-100 minutes.

Awesome seeing Soulive again for the first time in at least ten years or so. As @Letsgohuskies11 said, they were a band that I caught a lot in the early, mid-00s and were definitely foundational as an inspiration in my days playing in the jazz band in high school, but a jam band outside of school w/ my high school buddies.

Neal Evans' left hand bass keys licks are always so darn tasty.

Now officially in summer break, 'tis the season of shows: the only ones lined up are my first two ever at Westville: My Morning Jacket later this month and then The National in August, both bands I'll catch live for the first time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Went to the Cure show last night at Xfinity Center, Mansfield MA. It's a place 25 minutes from my house. Total travel time there and back was 3 hours 45 minutes. They have some work to do. The mismanagement is simply astonishing. We were sent the wrong way by an attendant, where there was no egress. Sat from 11-11:45 without moving before a cop had us turn around.

The band was excellent, but I think they could trim the setlist and not play obscure 8 minute long songs. Then they finish the second encore with 4 straight hits, which meant nobody left early, which made the traffic situation worse. I'm a fan of sprinkling hits through the setlist, and finishing with a cover or something. Still, Robert Smith hit all the notes vocally and on the guitar. So distortion heavy on the guitar.

347416932_10223069108336465_1988290640894519536_n.jpg

Reaction Score
My wife and I are headed to Fenway Park on the 25th of June to see the Dead. Yep, I married a Dead Head.

I also saw Hall and Oats. I saw Oats in a movie theater in New York City and I saw Hall in the lobby of the Royal Sonesta in New Orleans.

Reaction Score
I'm heading to Westville Music Bowl for the first time tomorrow to catch My Morning Jacket. Pretty stoked, first time seeing them too.

I ended up purchasing parking ahead of time...in general, is that usually necessary or is there free parking nearby? Don't know the lay of the land super well and I'll be heading back to Westville later this summer, but I figure finding free and safe parking is hard to come by in that area by Yale.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wife and I were looking at a boring 4th of July weekend so grabbed tickets to Ed Sheeran at Gillette tomorrow. Prices were pretty good and we got what seem like good seats, since he has a revolving stage in the middle of the field.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I'm heading to Westville Music Bowl for the first time tomorrow to catch My Morning Jacket. Pretty stoked, first time seeing them too.

I ended up purchasing parking ahead of time...in general, is that usually necessary or is there free parking nearby? Don't know the lay of the land super well and I'll be heading back to Westville later this summer, but I figure finding free and safe parking is hard to come by in that area by Yale.
You can park free on Central Avenue on the other side of the bowl, ignore the temporary "no parking" signs, I've done it a bunch never been ticketed. Just get in early for KDTU, IMO they should be headlining not MMJ.

Reaction Score
My Morning Jacket was amazing. First time seeing them and first time at Westville. One of those 2.5 shows were that never felt lagging. Also, amazing how tight they play despite different sets every night.

We bought crappy seats and ended up standing in the back, but a staff ended up giving us a floor GA upgrade…sweet! Great venue, great crowd, awesome show. Can’t wait to get back their later this summer (The National).

IMG_2764.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Got a little lucky, John Mayer filled in for the injured Khalid at the Ed Sheeran show last night as the 2nd opening act. Also came out and played some lead guitar on one tune. Ed puts on quite the show, he’s really a good live performer. The central stage is really a good idea for a stadium show.
IMG_1738.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom