Yanks | The Boneyard

Yanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder if they see him as their ace. I guess at those numbers he better be especially with CC losing velocity. They will be in the hunt for the AL East with the signings of Ellsbury, Beltran and McCann. Closer is the big question mark.

Reaction Score
There are still plenty of question marks. Such as will Jeter be able to perform as he has in the past? Who will play third? Can Johnson be healthy for a whole year? Will Texiera return to form? But they are clearly a much improved team.

Reaction Score
Clearly when the Yanks signed Elsbury it meant they were going for it this year and addressing the pitching was step 2. Sox caught lightning in a bottle last year so for 2014 its wide open and Yanks are trying to seize the pole position using their resources.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Shaking my head here. I am happy they got him as they are desperate for SPs. I hope he is Darvish 2.0

Has anyone seen the instagram oic of CC that's out there. He is half of what he was 4 years ago. Skinny to say the least.

Reaction Score
Clearly when the Yanks signed Elsbury it meant they were going for it this year and addressing the pitching was step 2. Sox caught lightning in a bottle last year so for 2014 its wide open and Yanks are trying to seize the pole position using their resources.
Even with the signings it is doubtful that they are seizing the pole position but they are definitely improved. The Sox are clearly the more talented team and the favorite because of their pitching.
Jeter probably ought to be playing 3B but that will never happen. He looks to be at the end of his career and to expect a big year out of him is unrealistic.. Texiera is another wild card. If he can return to form the Yankee lineup will be formidable.
Pitching is probably their biggest question mark. Sabathia no longer has ace velocity and Tanaka is unproven. Robertson as closer is not a given and by moving him to the 9th inning the 8th inning is weaker.
Shaking my head here. I am happy they got him as they are desperate for SPs. I hope he is Darvish 2.0

Has anyone seen the instagram oic of CC that's out there. He is half of what he was 4 years ago. Skinny to say the least.
He said he weighs the same just more toned from rehab workouts.

Reaction Score
Even with the signings it is doubtful that they are seizing the pole position but they are definitely improved. The Sox are clearly the more talented team and the favorite because of their pitching.
Jeter probably ought to be playing 3B but that will never happen. He looks to be at the end of his career and to expect a big year out of him is unrealistic.. Texiera is another wild card. If he can return to form the Yankee lineup will be formidable.
Pitching is probably their biggest question mark. Sabathia no longer has ace velocity and Tanaka is unproven. Robertson as closer is not a given and by moving him to the 9th inning the 8th inning is weaker.

He said he weighs the same just more toned from rehab workouts.

I agree, the Sox get the edge with the pitching, which makes the Tanaka signing all the more important. Its a risky signing but its a risk that you must take. The rotation will have to depend on CC getting back to form, Kuroda not hitting father time as he will be 40 this upcoming season, Nova being consistent, and how will Pineda do coming back from injury. Its got the potential to be a good rotation, so the Yankees will have to get lucky there. Im not expecting much out of the bullpen at all, well see what happens.

Reaction Score
Wow----7 years and 155 mill. Serious commitment. Must be convinced he is an annual Cy Young candidate type.

One of top five highest pitching contracts ever. Never thrown a pitch in MLB. He better be Yu Darvish and not Kei Igawa....

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow----7 years and 155 mill. Serious commitment. Must be convinced he is an annual Cy Young candidate type.

One of top five highest pitching contracts ever. Never thrown a pitch in MLB. He better be Yu Darvish and not Kei Igawa....
At that money, the Yankees better hope his floor is even higher than Dice-K's ceiling. The biggest reported issue(s) for Matsuzaka were three fold
1) Balls were rubbed up with sand in Japan (not Delaware riverbed mud),
2) The Japanese ball is different (Smaller and lower stitches.)
3) The over abundance of fried food and McDonalds.

He also wanted to throw on a more aggressive schedule than Francona and Farrell had in mind. Be that as it may, Dice-K helped the Red Sox win the World Series in 2007. As a life-long fan that had no real skin in the game other than being a life long fan, the $101 million of someone else's money was well worth it.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Dice-K was a disappointment in terms of the hype but helped them win it and overall....I would do it again because as you say, it is not my money. As unwatchable even his good starts were. And he had to have had the "worst" 18-3 ERA under 3.00 years ever....

7 years for Tanaka...THAT is a serious commitment. Aside from the 155 mill...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has an opt-out after 4. If he pitches like a #2, let alone a #1, then he will opt out and get one more massive deal, say 6/120 extension or maybe 7 years/140 the way baseball spending has been going this offseason.
Outstanding job by his agent to get an opt out. The CC opt out didn't work well for NY.

Reaction Score
He has an opt-out after 4. If he pitches like a #2, let alone a #1, then he will opt out and get one more massive deal, say 6/120 extension or maybe 7 years/140 the way baseball spending has been going this offseason.
Outstanding job by his agent to get an opt out. The CC opt out didn't work well for NY.

Agreed...great job by the agent.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm no Will Hunting, but I know how to work a calculator. $155 mil / 7 > 22 Million per. If he performs up to those levels, why in the world would he accept an AAV of merely $20 Million? Even A-Rod was able to finagle $2.5M more per season and he was 3 years older than Tanaka would be at his opt out window.

Reaction Score
It's possible. Of course maybe teams would want to bump down by a few million the AAV since they'd be locking in more of his bad years.
It's not the point really of whether he's making 20 per or 22 per. His agent has given him a chance to get another massive deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom