Yankees Trade Montero For Pineda | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yankees Trade Montero For Pineda

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Because who uses ERA to judge pitchers? Seattle has good personnel guys and they felt this guy was OK to trade. Perhaps he can give you what Colon gave you.
I knew you were an idiot. Thanks for confirming.

There are many stats that make up how to judge a pitchers performance. Somehow I think you know that.

Colon? Now I know you are just screwing around.

Reaction Score
Better yet look at his first half....................oh Lord knows that doesn't count??

Obviously not a good 2nd half but a 1st half in which he owned hitters. Great young arm who needs another pitch and could be a #1 at he age of 24 or 25......working on the changeup as we speak, started to prior to last year but struggled to find the plate with it. Great top end on this monster......great trade plus the 19 year old helps to stockpile arms.......Betances, Benuelos and Pineda could be a great three with an aging CC......scary huh?

Makes you wonder why the Ms would trade such an inexpensive "monster" for essentially a DH.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
[quote="bpo57, post: 134356, member: 1173" ]Makes you wonder why the Ms would trade such an inexpensive "monster" for essentially a DH.[/quote]

Looked like a great deal for both teams. I know it's not as fun to discuss it that way.

Team with the worst offense got a great bat and a team with a need in their starting rotation got a young power arm.

Win-win.

Reaction Score
Oh man...I bet you Calicuse is blowing a nut on this trade. Haha.

But in all seriousness, this trade could backfire. I mean Pineda is pretty good, but...Montero was a beast. I'm just glad I can now say how freaking good Montero was now that he isn't on the Yankees hahahahaha
True, BUT... he didn't have a position. The fact is, you need to be ALL WORLD to put your team that far ahead from the DH position. I have no doubt Montero will be good - VERY good. But THAT good ? We'll see.

IF he could stick at catcher, that's a different story. But then, at his size, his career would almost certainly end up cut short because of the wear and tear of that position.

Reaction Score
More proven, yes. Better, no. Depending on how you look at it, you can read the analytical stats that say Pineda was lucky the first half of the season and that the second half of the season was more of the norm for what you'll expect. For one instance...peer at his fly ball ratio.

As far as Montero, yeah, I never wanted to admit how good he is. But as most people know, Montero will probably be a DH. The kid has a great bat and I feared to see him in a Yankees lineup, but I am glad I will not be able to.

In the end, it's an extremely risky trade for both ends with potential high upside but also potential high disappointment too.
Better ? Who knows. More valuable ? Almost definitely. Name the best DH of the last decade (and don't forget, I know exactly who you would name).

Go look at his WAR numbers. Then go look at the league leaders in WAR for starting pitchers.

Reaction Score
I'm a big believer in Pineda, and think that if he stays healthy he will be as good as Felix. Bats can be found on the market. Pitching, not so much. Good move by the Yankees.

Reaction Score
More post-trade quotes: Cashman said he "hated" to move Montero and compared him to Mike Piazza and Miguel Cabrera. And he said if Pineda doesn't become a #1 starter, he'll have made a "mistake."

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Better yet look at his first half....................oh Lord knows that doesn't count??

Obviously not a good 2nd half but a 1st half in which he owned hitters. Great young arm who needs another pitch and could be a #1 at he age of 24 or 25......working on the changeup as we speak, started to prior to last year but struggled to find the plate with it. Great top end on this monster......great trade plus the 19 year old helps to stockpile arms.......Betances, Benuelos and Pineda could be a great three with an aging CC......scary huh?

Not a Mariner fan so don't know why the 2nd half ERA sucked so bad but I see these post-all star numbers and smile...

10 starts ( he was targeted for a shutdown as we know)
58 innings pitched
52 hits
60 ks and...
a .236 BAA!!

Lets fire him up again and watch him dominate.

(I am just starting to read up on this trade. I made a concerted effort to not fall in love with Montero. And I already know what Pineda can do and what the is there not to like?!?)

CC
Pineda
Nova
Kiroda and...
Garcia / Hughes?

Oh yeah!!

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan, I was very excited to hear about the trade. Most of the reasons have been discussed already, but the opportunity to trade for a front of the rotation pitcher doesn't come around too often. There is definitely a risk run that Montero may develop into the next Pujols and Pineda may never reach ace-status, but no trade is without risks. This could end up being one of those rare win-win deals where both teams benefit from the trade. As was stated earlier, Seattle's biggest need is hitting and Montero practically walks in as the best hitter on that team. Conversely, the Yankees biggest deficiency has been pitching and Pineda should fit right in behind CC. It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do with their rotation now and who will be the odd man out. Does this move Hughes back to the bullpen? Do they try to unload A.J.? Do they try to move Hughes for a young hitter?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that if any 22 year old pitcher hits a few bumps in the road he'll never have a chance at becoming a quality starter. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what the Yankees do with their rotation now and who will be the odd man out. Do they try to unload A.J.?

I think they'd trade Burnett for a bat boy if a team would take his full salary. Last off-season, the team talked about how Rothschild was going to work with him one on one during the winter. We all saw how that worked. Not a word this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom