Yankees Trade Montero For Pineda

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nuclear-bomb-badger350.jpg

Reaction Score
Yanks also allegedly signed Hiroki Kuroda. They must be getting rid of Burnett. CC, Pinieda, Nova, Kuroda, Garcia/Hughes/ Pretty good rotation.

Reaction Score
Oh man...I bet you Calicuse is blowing a nut on this trade. Haha.

But in all seriousness, this trade could backfire. I mean Pineda is pretty good, but...Montero was a beast. I'm just glad I can now say how freaking good Montero was now that he isn't on the Yankees hahahahaha

Reaction Score
Oh man...I bet you Calicuse is blowing a nut on this trade. Haha.

But in all seriousness, this trade could backfire. I mean Pineda is pretty good, but...Montero was a beast. I'm just glad I can now say how freaking good Montero was now that he isn't on the Yankees hahahahaha

God dammit. Why. Why would they do this. They should have only traded him for King Felix.

Reaction Score
God dammit. Why. Why would they do this. They should have only traded him for King Felix.

Ah yep! I mean, Pineda is great, but still kind of unproven. I just think that the Yankees settled for this one. I'm wondering if they asked for Felix and they said no...but then dangled Pineda.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ah yep! I mean, Pineda is great, but still kind of unproven. I just think that the Yankees settled for this one. I'm wondering if they asked for Felix and they said no...but then dangled Pineda.

Pineda is a great pickup. They already have one of the best offenses in the league and adding Kuroda and Pineda gives the Yanks a much better rotation.

Check out Pineda's stats. Great K/BB, K/9, WHIP and while he did tire some in the last part of the season, he's only 23, under control for 5 years, 6'7" 260 lbs with a 95-97 mph fastball and a great slider and change.

Usual concerns about an all NL pitcher comging to the AL East, but gotta love his consistancy and if he is the 4th or 5th starter, Yanks will be strong.

Reaction Score
Pineda is a great prospect. He's still a bit unproven. His second half was horrific compared to his first half. I do remember the Red Sox roughing him up in a game.

Reaction Score
Pineda is a great prospect. He's still a bit unproven..
Pinieda pitched in the MLB the whole season. Can't you say Montero is unproven too? He played in 18 games in September.

According to Heyman the Yanks tried like heck to get Felix (and were going ot throw in Betances and Banuelos too) but M's would not budge on him. Pineda is turning 23 in two weeks and looks like he can be a horse. Both teams traded for potential. Everyone is assuming that based on 18 games Montero is definitely going to be a great power hitter. We shall see..if Pineda pans out they have him and Nova to anchor the rotation for a while.

Reaction Score
When I first heard about this, I thought WTF. Montero is going to be terrific hitter. But the Yanks must have serious doubts about his ability behind the plate. First, Romine caught twice as many innings as Montero last year. Second, Cash was willing to let him go for just a few months of Lee. Martin appears pretty set for now, and they still have the other young catchers. So where to play Jesus in the future, especially if ARod may need more and more DH at bats? Cash must have thought this was the best he could do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Vuce is absolutely correct, Pineda is more proven at this point than Montero is.

On Cheddie's point, it isn't that there are serious doubts on Montero's ability behind the plate (although his bat would lead to him not getting the minor league work necessary to develop and his height has some concerned about his ability to last at the position) as much as it is the guys they have in the system (Romine is already MLB ready defensively and Sanchez is viewed by many as their best overall prospect). Montero never had a future behind the plate as a Yankee, first is not an option in pinstripes and the Yanks need to keep DH open for quite a few games every year until ARod takes over that spot full time. Unless they felt he could become an outfielder, Montero was most valuable to the Yanks for his trade value.

It is humorous that a Sox fans can finally speak his true opinion of Montero, it must ahve sucked for him watching this kid and feeling compelled to lie publicly about his talent.

Reaction Score
Because they weren't going to get King Felix and they had to fill out their rotation. This deal makes the Yankees favorites to win the AL East. Montero is a big league hitter and a minor league catcher at best. Arod will DH some this season and that may have made Montero expendable.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan I hate to say it but I think this is a good move for the Yankees. They got two high end pitching prospects (Compos may ultimately be as good as Pineda) while giving up an outstanding hitting prospect that may have had trouble fitting in their lineup. Sure there is risk for both sides - the hitter is going to a pitcher's park (Montero can ask Adrien Beltre about that) and the pitcher is going to a hitter's park (right field is a short fungo away), but the deal fills major needs for both teams. Add in Kuroda on a short term deal and the Yankees have addressed their biggest need. Now let's see how it plays out on the field.

Reaction Score
After my first reaction I feel better about this deal (I was just pissed at following him the minors for 3 years and after finally getting to see him make the majors he is gone).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
When I first heard about this, I thought WTF. Montero is going to be terrific hitter. But the Yanks must have serious doubts about his ability behind the plate. First, Romine caught twice as many innings as Montero last year. Second, Cash was willing to let him go for just a few months of Lee. Martin appears pretty set for now, and they still have the other young catchers. So where to play Jesus in the future, especially if ARod may need more and more DH at bats? Cash must have thought this was the best he could do.

If they caught Montero more, he might have been exposed and lowered his trade value.

Reaction Score
Pineda is a great pickup. They already have one of the best offenses in the league and adding Kuroda and Pineda gives the Yanks a much better rotation.

Check out Pineda's stats. Great K/BB, K/9, WHIP and while he did tire some in the last part of the season, he's only 23, under control for 5 years, 6'7" 260 lbs with a 95-97 mph fastball and a great slider and change.

Usual concerns about an all NL pitcher comging to the AL East, but gotta love his consistancy and if he is the 4th or 5th starter, Yanks will be strong.

Doggy, check out Pineda's #s over the second half of the year.

Reaction Score
Vuce is absolutely correct, Pineda is more proven at this point than Montero is.

On Cheddie's point, it isn't that there are serious doubts on Montero's ability behind the plate (although his bat would lead to him not getting the minor league work necessary to develop and his height has some concerned about his ability to last at the position) as much as it is the guys they have in the system (Romine is already MLB ready defensively and Sanchez is viewed by many as their best overall prospect). Montero never had a future behind the plate as a Yankee, first is not an option in pinstripes and the Yanks need to keep DH open for quite a few games every year until ARod takes over that spot full time. Unless they felt he could become an outfielder, Montero was most valuable to the Yanks for his trade value.

It is humorous that a Sox fans can finally speak his true opinion of Montero, it must ahve sucked for him watching this kid and feeling compelled to lie publicly about his talent.

More proven, yes. Better, no. Depending on how you look at it, you can read the analytical stats that say Pineda was lucky the first half of the season and that the second half of the season was more of the norm for what you'll expect. For one instance...peer at his fly ball ratio.

As far as Montero, yeah, I never wanted to admit how good he is. But as most people know, Montero will probably be a DH. The kid has a great bat and I feared to see him in a Yankees lineup, but I am glad I will not be able to.

In the end, it's an extremely risky trade for both ends with potential high upside but also potential high disappointment too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
NHU, there is no way that today you can say one of these two very unproven kids is better than the other and considering the fact that one is a pitcher while the other will primarily be only a bat, there may never be any way to determine which of the two ends up as the better player. My comment was primarily on your belief that Montero is a proven commodity while Pineda is not. In reality, while neither has proven much to date (beyond tremendous potential for each), Pineda has spent more time at this level and demonstrated more to date than Montero has.

Reaction Score
If they caught Montero more, he might have been exposed and lowered his trade value.
Interesting to read about the trade after some time has passed. Teams knew everything about Montero. Cashman didn't want to trade him, but he said teams now simply aren't letting good, young pitchers go without a steep price in return, and it's easier to get another bat than to get an arm like Pineda's. Re: Pineda and his second half. Scouts think the fact that he had only two pitches may have caught up with him, but they feel is young enough at 22, talented enough, and eager enough to develop a third pitch and be a dominant starter. He's a big kid (6'7" and 260) and he should be a workhorse like CC. And he's locked up for 5 years.

Reaction Score

Better yet look at his first half....................oh Lord knows that doesn't count??

Obviously not a good 2nd half but a 1st half in which he owned hitters. Great young arm who needs another pitch and could be a #1 at he age of 24 or 25......working on the changeup as we speak, started to prior to last year but struggled to find the plate with it. Great top end on this monster......great trade plus the 19 year old helps to stockpile arms.......Betances, Benuelos and Pineda could be a great three with an aging CC......scary huh?

Reaction Score
Better yet look at his first half....................oh Lord knows that doesn't count??

Obviously not a good 2nd half but a 1st half in which he owned hitters. Great young arm who needs another pitch and could be a #1 at he age of 24 or 25......working on the changeup as we speak, started to prior to last year but struggled to find the plate with it. Great top end on this monster......great trade plus the 19 year old helps to stockpile arms.......Betances, Benuelos and Pineda could be a great three with an aging CC......scary huh?

You could attribute that to the "we've never seen you before and have no idea how to prepare against you" phenomenon.

Reaction Score
Guess that's what i woukd be hoping for too if I were a Sox fan.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I did. That is why I'll be excited to see how he does next year. He has a great fastball (3rd highest avg MPH at 94.5) and a great slider.

In spite high ERA, he still had more K's than innings, less hits than innings, a .236 eat BAA and a 1.22 WHIP.

Great trade for both teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You could attribute that to the "we've never seen you before and have no idea how to prepare against you" phenomenon.

He's got an upper 90's fastball that moves and a great slider. And his 2nd half numbers other than ERA were still solid.

Love the trade as it fills a huge need.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And his 2nd half numbers other than ERA were still solid.

Because who uses ERA to judge pitchers? Seattle has good personnel guys and they felt this guy was OK to trade. Perhaps he can give you what Colon gave you.

Reaction Score

You could say the same thing about Montero. Even more so with him because he had 60 (sixty!) at bats. Jesus Montero was REALLY fun to watch but it was 3 weeks worth of at bats.

As for Pineda - his second half was not as good but as DD pointed out he still had a strikeout an inning and less hits than innings pitched. He had a stretch in 3 out of 5 starts in the second half where he gave up 17 ER in 15 2/3 innings but also reeled off 7 quality starts out of 8 from July 30th to September 10th.

You can't pass up an arm like this for Montero. Catching wise the Yanks have Romine and Sanchez in the minors who they already like better defensively than Montero. Martin is catching this year. Tex is at first for the forseeable future. Tough to stick the kid at DH at his age. The rotation looks very formidable and CC will probably be a great mentor for the kid. Once he has a better feel for the change up he could be #2 or ace material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom