Yankees sign Brett Gardner for $52 for four years | The Boneyard

Yankees sign Brett Gardner for $52 for four years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like a lot of money for a two-tool player but if you have a lot of money, why not? As a Red Sox fan, Gardner has always irritated me. He makes the pitchers work and he is a pest on the base paths. If I were the Yankees I'd have him lead off and Ellsbury hit second. Ellsbury is definitely the better hitter but Gardner gets on base just as much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I never really noticed this guy before.

Reaction Score
Seems like a lot of money for a two-tool player but if you have a lot of money, why not? As a Red Sox fan, Gardner has always irritated me. He makes the pitchers work and he is a pest on the base paths. If I were the Yankees I'd have him lead off and Ellsbury hit second. Ellsbury is definitely the better hitter but Gardner gets on base just as much.

I like the 2 of them at the top of the lineup vs righties………we'll see if this is incentive to hit ..290/.300 like he should or not……...

Reaction Score
Good deal for NY. They extended him at basically a flat salary increase for a number of years. As mentioned above, he can be a disruptive player and he can also potentially be a gold glove LF. His salary reflects the new baseball economics - he's getting about what Bourn got, with better stats. Probably would have done better in free agency, but wanted to stay in NY. Also reportedly good clubhouse guy.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury is a better base stealer and if Gardner can bunt (don't recall) I'd bat him 2nd. If Gardner isn't a good bunter I'd bat him 9th. Gardner probably isn't worth the money but who is?
The biggest question mark for the Yankees is their bullpen in the 8th and 9th innings. Anybody pitching the 9th not named Mariano is a downgrade.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury is a better base stealer and if Gardner can bunt (don't recall) I'd bat him 2nd. If Gardner isn't a good bunter I'd bat him 9th. Gardner probably isn't worth the money but who is?
The biggest question mark for the Yankees is their bullpen in the 8th and 9th innings. Anybody pitching the 9th not named Mariano is a downgrade.

Gardner should be a a good bunter but he's average at best………..Good news is no one has Mariano so we're all even!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom