OT: - Yankees/Red Sox baseball | The Boneyard

OT: Yankees/Red Sox baseball

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Two Sox fans, Father & 7 year old son, podcast baseball with National baseball writer for The New York Times, Tyler Kepner. He’s the author of a great book we’re reading together. NYT best seller, “K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches”. Lots of Yankee talk kept us on our toes. We miss baseball. Enjoy, review, & subscribe. Thanks!

GemParty

Reaction Score
BB0A7C0B-C910-4504-AB03-499A84CFF338.jpeg

The books been a great distraction. Learning baseball through his eyes was a real treat on our podcast: Swing For The Fences.

A favorite stat from Tyler Kepner’s outstanding book, K:

Tony Gwynn came to bat 323 times against Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Pedro and struck out...just three times. That’s incredible!

GemParty

Reaction Score
That is just stupid. Tony Gwynn was ridiculous! What was his average?

I agree. He was brilliant hitter. Tyler interviewed over 300 people for the book and was on the beat for the Yankees 2002-2009, so he’s had his share of great Baseball memories.

Enjoy the pod! Thank you.

Reaction Score
Better hitter Gwynn or Pete Rose?

Gwynn and not that close and Rose was a really good. Gwynn was just a great great hitter. And Pete played on one of the hardest astro turf surfaces got some ground ball hits Gwynn wouldn't get on grass.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Damn, I look at the pictures on the book cover and see all those 1960's era baseball cards and had all of them - my brother did something not so good and blamed it on me - my mother threw away all my cards - over 2000 cards. Damn him

GemParty

Reaction Score
Gwynn and not that close and Rose was a really good. Gwynn was just a great great hitter. And Pete played on one of the hardest astro turf surfaces got some ground ball hits Gwynn wouldn't get on grass.

How are you Mau? I welcome your thoughts on pod #16. Tyler talks Yanks, Dynasty, pitching, robot umps, and the return of baseball.

Do you favor Jim Rice or Mattingly?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the record book shows that both are almost the same exact size (height and weight).
all star teams : rose 17, gwynn 15.
hits: rose 4256, gwynn 3141
runs: rose 2165, gwynn 1383
ba: rose 303, gwynn 338
obp: rose 375, gwynn 388
rbi rose 1314 , gwynn 1138
rose tips the scales in his favor when you remember that he was rookie of the year, league mvp, and world series mvp. gwynn was not.

of course, and it angers pops immensely, howcum everybody forgets 18 times all-star, rookie of the year, league mvp, and 393 obp rod carew?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know it’s impossible to compare eras, but you wonder how guys like these two would’ve fared in every era. And for the record @ClifSpliffy, I was born well after their careers ended.

and, speaking of NYY/Bosox there are these two who retired when I was little

I did see Williams once, first game I saw in person, vs. NYY and it was Mantle’s rookie year at Fenway. My parents were Sox fans and somehow I grew up a Yankee fan

GemParty

Reaction Score
One question from the pod, which I ask here as well. Who’s on your Mount Rushmore of Baseball pitchers?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yanks/sox? mostly a yanks family since the highlanders, at least, tho before that in the 1800s there is evidence of luv for the Hartford team, and cinncinati too, for some reason lost on me. my nephew and his rents move back to fairdale from Kathmandu years ago. he is a boy of around 6 at that time, and half Nepalese (but all nutmegger), with no real sports connection other than a familiarity for baseball because of his mom. after a year or two here, he flows right into the sports culture cuz its all around him, and its fun. one day, as we are watching a yanks/sox game, and after the sox hit a big home run, he blurts out 'yea!' everybody looks at him. for a minute he looks concerned, like he did something wrong, then, cuz it sinks in that he lives here, and he is free to be true to himself, he says something like 'go sox!' im thinking, 'uh -oh,' this one is going to take some work. I guess being surrounded by a lot of folks who only cheer yanks, and boo the sox, he decided to be contrary. the next season, the sox won that first one. kids got juice, and the sox should send him some cash, since they went on to win a few more since he started it all for them. on the udder hand, he has lately drifted back into the fold with the judge, tanaka, et als edition of the team. after all, it is a 'yankees universe.' you can resist, but only for so long. now, the sox have turned once again into something like charles river mud, and the yanks are looking good for the title. as usual. his true sports loyalties are more Pittsburgh than anything, cuz he went to mellon, and caught that brain damage there. steeler mania is a powerful tug, and may just be the cultiest cult. at least he caught the husky hoops virus, and is a big fan. now living in dc, he can't wait until he gets to go watch the dawgs pound g-town. Connecticut pride.

Reaction Score
How are you Mau? I welcome your thoughts on pod #16. Tyler talks Yanks, Dynasty, pitching, robot umps, and the return of baseball.

Do you favor Jim Rice or Mattingly?

All good Gem how about you? Nice job with this stuff.

As far as Mattingly and Rice it's a definite toss up. Rice has an edge only because of 4-5 more years of healthy play but their numbers are so similar it's crazy. With had years of complete fear from pitchers everywhere, again because of health Rice had more. Mattingly had 9 GGs so also a great defender although Rice was solid, especially on the Monster. Mattingly a better hitter overall, Rice a more powerful hitter overall. Too close to call would like to have seen Donnie have a good back for his whole career would've been an easy HOFer but he's still better than some who have made it even in a shorter career. Like them both a lot, always respected Rice as a Yankee fan big time.

Reaction Score
the record book shows that both are almost the same exact size (height and weight).
rose tips the scales in his favor when you remember that he was rookie of the year, league mvp, and world series mvp. gwynn was not.

of course, and it angers pops immensely, howcum everybody forgets 18 times all-star, rookie of the year, league mvp, and 393 obp rod carew?

Rod Carew was a great great hitter and he should be in this conversation.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Damn, I look at the pictures on the book cover and see all those 1960's era baseball cards and had all of them - my brother did something not so good and blamed it on me - my mother threw away all my cards - over 2000 cards. Damn him

Speaking to the author really was a trip down memory lane. Those cards on the cover and players from Ted Williams to Mariano were discussed.

How do you build a dynasty? The history of the curveball. The Yankees incredible run. Robot umpires. The toughest pitches to hit and what challenges face an MLB restart. I welcome your feedback on the pod GTcam.

Hers the Apple link. Anchor can be fussy sometimes, even though Spotify bought them and it’s easy to use for making the pod itself.

GemParty

Reaction Score

Thanks for the stats. Two very tough outs!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Took until this evening to listen to this one all the way through. Loved hearing about how clams figured into the curveball. And what an ending!

Happy belated 8th birthday Joseph!

Screenshot_20200526-192550.png

Maybe a future S&C episode on sportscasters?

I got my first clock radio for my 8th or 9th birthday, mostly so I could go to sleep listening to Red Sox and Huskies games on WTIC

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I got my first clock radio for my 8th or 9th birthday, mostly so I could go to sleep listening to Red Sox and Huskies games on WTIC
Almost the same. It was a Christmas present for me. And the first BB game I heard wasn't UConn but the Hartford Caps!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Almost the same. It was a Christmas present for me. And the first BB game I heard wasn't UConn but the Hartford Caps!
Caps games - where I first saw Jim Boeheim, part of the sharpshooting Scranton Miners backcourt with Stan Pawlak. Bill Spivey was the first 7-footer I ever saw live.

I'd go to Bloomfield High's gym (right?) and sit with a pretty blonde who I otherwise only saw during summers at camp and around a country club swimming pool.

Like most, a Spider Bennett fan, disappointed every time he got cut by the Celtics and then happy to see him play close up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Caps games - where I first saw Jim Boeheim, part of the sharpshooting Scranton Miners backcourt...
I just had the radio. I remember Scranton being a big rival and hearing about some to-do down there where fans were throwing orange crates. Which kind of ties in to Boeheim.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just had the radio. I remember Scranton being a big rival and hearing about some to-do down there where fans were throwing orange crates. Which kind of ties in to Boeheim.
LOL

GemParty

Reaction Score
What’s baseballs Mount Rushmore?

Ruth, Williams, Aaron, Mays ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads