Yankees Fans...2012 roster predictions | The Boneyard

Yankees Fans...2012 roster predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK so it was a tough end to the season. Lack of clutch hitting was their downfall. As far as 2012 goes it looks like the infield will stay the same. The OF will probably remain the same too. Bullpen won't change much. The only place I can see changes is in the starting pitching.

I read an article in the Daily News yesterday that mentioned the Yanks could trade Montero in a package to the Giants for Matt Cain. Would you trade Montero? Matt Cain is very, very good and a proven post season pitcher. The other names I have read are James Shields, Matt Latos and Gio Gonzalez. Assuming they reach a deal with CC a rotation starting with CC, Cain and Nova is pretty darn good. They would lose Montero's bat though. If it was Cain I think I would trade Montero. Cain is only 27 and a stud pitcher. The others I would probably not trade Montero for. What else would you do?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment I would only consider parting with Montero if King Felix hit the market. As that won't happen, I want to see Jesus getting at least 400 AB's in pinstripes.

Reaction Score
At the moment I would only consider parting with Montero if King Felix hit the market. As that won't happen, I want to see Jesus getting at least 400 AB's in pinstripes.
No go on Montero.

Reaction Score
Montero is a really tough call. It's pretty clear that the team feels Romine is a better catcher and Sanchez is still developing. But it's also clear Montero may be a really good hitter. Do you want a 22 year old DH, or do you save that spot for ARod, Jeter and an Andruw Jones type? Do you go with him at catcher anyway? I have no doubt they'll dangle Montero to see what he might reel in. (He would have gone to Seattle for Lee). But I think Cashman (assuming he's the GM) will want a lot back.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Montero is a really tough call. It's pretty clear that the team feels Romine is a better catcher and Sanchez is still developing. But it's also clear Montero may be a really good hitter. Do you want a 22 year old DH, or do you save that spot for ARod, Jeter and an Andruw Jones type? Do you go with him at catcher anyway? I have no doubt they'll dangle Montero to see what he might reel in. (He would have gone to Seattle for Lee). But I think Cashman (assuming he's the GM) will want a lot back.

Really tough call ... it's clear that Montero is a big league hitter. From the looks of it, albeit limited, a fantastic one. Can he develop further in the catcher role? Do you then use Romine and Sanchez as trading chips? They have a lot of good pieces on the farm to use in the offseason ... if that's the route to take. We're getting close to the "changing of the guard" here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox will take Montero and the Yanks can get a proven post-season starter. With bonus of being a real innings-eater. I'm sure the Sox can knock a few bucks off the salary to get this done.

Reaction Score
No way do you trade Montero now, unless it is for an established ace. If the Giants want Montero, they'll be sending Lincecum, not Cain, since Montero would instantly become the Giant's best offensive player.

Reaction Score
No way do you trade Montero now, unless it is for an established ace. If the Giants want Montero, they'll be sending Lincecum, not Cain, since Montero would instantly become the Giant's best offensive player.
As great a prospect as he is, there is no way that Montero is bringing Lincecum, without a lot more from the Yankee farm system. A 27-year old, two time Cy Young winner?

Reaction Score
read today that the Yanks could be major player for FA CJ Wilson.

Reaction Score
Yanks problem with Montero is the same with the Sox and Lavarnway. Both are going to be very good big league hitters. Both are below average catchers defensively. Sox could probably catch Lavarnway - but I don't think they want to. But he's 24 and he clearly should be on a roster purely based on offense.

Reaction Score
Beyond how well they may eventually catch defensively in the majors, both Montero and Lavarnway are tall, leading to possible future back and joint problems if they stay behind the plate.

Reaction Score
Why would the Giants trade Cain for Montero if the only position choices for him are catcher or DH? Assuming Posey recovers completely, they'd have the same problems finding a place for him as the Yankees would.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the Yanks trade Montero it won't be until next July at the earliest (Cashman again called Seattle and was told Felix is not available).

The Yankee's plan is for Montero to catch about 50 games next year and DH another 75. He is not the catcher Romine is (you could likely count on one hand the better defensive catcher's at the moment) but he will be able to handle the job as a #2 backstop (and I'll wager heavily that Montero is better defensively than at least half the catchers in the AL today). Romine is at least a year away from being able to hit major league pitching and Sanchez may take two additional years to be ready. Montero won't be traded just for the sake of getting rid of him. With one major exception (who is not getting traded for a while), Montero is untouchable for the time being.

Reaction Score
The giants don't even have a spot for montero. Worst speculation ive heard in awhile. They play in the national league. Yanks will probly try to sign cj Wilson. He will be marginal. Rotation will be cc cj aj nova ph. Win 95 games lose first round playoffs.

Reaction Score
The giants don't even have a spot for montero. Worst speculation ive heard in awhile. They play in the national league. Yanks will probly try to sign cj Wilson. He will be marginal. Rotation will be cc cj aj nova ph. Win 95 games lose first round playoffs.
Yu Darvish is a far better option than CJ Wilson. If they can get over the MLB hangover with Japanese pitchers, this one is the best of the bunch.

Reaction Score
I don't think they'll go down that road again. On the other hand what's another 80 million dollars?

Reaction Score
I think one change that needs to be considered is the hitting coach. Yeah, I know what people are going to say. 90% of major league teams would die to have him as their hitting coach. But has anyone noticed that hitters tend to take a step back when joing the Yankees and others take a step forward when leaving? And look at what happened with Jeter this year. And, yes, I am aware that they score lots of runs and hit lots of homers. They also struggle at the plate with runners in scoring position and they struggled in the clutch and they flat out died against good to great pitching as was evidenced in the playoffs. The bottom line is that SOMETHING needs to change. They had an astronomical payroll and didn't get past the ALDS. Not acceptable. Everything couldn't have been great or even "fine". Either they screwed up and paid mediocre players too much or the coaching staff did not get those players to play up to their potential. For what it is worth, the pitching coach semed to do a good job with what he was handed. Only Soriano played poorly and he is known to be a head case. He also struggled with injuries. Well, I suppose Hughes wasn't a bright spot either but I am thinking that kid is only suited for the pen.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
But has anyone noticed that hitters tend to take a step back when joing the Yankees and others take a step forward when leaving?

I haven't noticed that. Which players take a step back with Long as the hitting coach? And who took a step forward after leaving Long. No trolling here, just asking.

And look at what happened with Jeter this year.

He got better in the second half when healthy. I don't get your point.

And, yes, I am aware that they score lots of runs and hit lots of homers. They also struggle at the plate with runners in scoring position and they struggled in the clutch and they flat out died against good to great pitching as was evidenced in the playoffs.

A hitting coach can teach clutch hitting? That's news to me.

The bottom line is that SOMETHING needs to change.

Change for the sake of Change. Thanks Mr. Steinbrenner.

Reaction Score
Not sure you'd have to ask whomever signed that dude Dice K!!!:)

You actually don't have to go far. Just check in with the dude who gave ARod that contract extension.

Reaction Score
Yankees have a boat load of awful contracts. They have a large enough margin of error where it doesn't really hurt them

Reaction Score
You actually don't have to go far. Just check in with the dude who gave ARod that contract extension.
The family took away Hank's pen after that fiasco.

Reaction Score
Interesting LoHud post on "what the Yankee front office really thinks"
- Can Montero catch?
- What can they expect from ARod and Tex in the future?
- Which pitcher is Phil Hughes - 2010 or 2011?
- Is Nova for real?
- How do they really rank their minor league pitching prospects?

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I just don't see the superstar talent of year's past. We are better than the Red Sox, but the Jays and Rays are the obvious favorites to win the AL East next year unless one gets hit with the injury bug.

Reaction Score
But has anyone noticed that hitters tend to take a step back when joing the Yankees and others take a step forward when leaving?
Are you going to provide any basis for that, or are we to just take it on faith ?

I'll offer Curtis Granderson and Nick Swisher as obvious evidence to the contrary.

And please don't offer Melky Cabrera as evidence. He had one season in KC above average after being the least productive hitter in all of baseball with Atlanta the season before.

And what happened with Jeter this season that is relevant ?

You do know that Kevin Long was the hitting coach in 2009, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom