OT: - Yale's James Jones: "There's a party in New England, and we're not invited." | The Boneyard

OT: Yale's James Jones: "There's a party in New England, and we're not invited."

Reaction Score

An interesting take on the difficulties of scheduling as a good mid-major team that won't schedule buy games.

For the last decade, James Jones has coached a consistently solid top-150ish team with the 19-20, 18-19, 15-16, 14-15 teams all finishing in the top-80 KenPom.

Personally, as long as James Jones is at the helm, UConn should play Yale every season, especially replacing one of the OOC cupcakes we've over-schedued during Hurley's tenure. Let's make it an annual neutral game at Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport is my own selfish request: I live in Norwalk.

I’ve said it here a few times on various threads, but I went to both the Eastern Washington and Columbia games at Bridgeport and both games were rockin’ to full capacity. They even added folding chairs for the EWU game.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport is my own selfish request: I live in Norwalk.

I’ve said it here a few times on various threads, but I went to both the Eastern Washington and Columbia games at Bridgeport and both games were rockin’ to full capacity. They even added folding chairs for the EWU game.

Attended the Columbia game, went with my sons and then 4-year old grandson, Huskies were mediocre that night, mid-way through a Columbia run the little one asks if we can instead cheer for the team in (light) blue, time for a lecture in team loyalty, great night, place was full.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Attended the Columbia game, went with my sons and then 4-year old grandson, Huskies were mediocre that night, mid-way through a Columbia run the little one asks if we can instead cheer for the team in (light) blue, time for a lecture in team loyalty, great night, place was full.
“Can we cheer for the other team? I don’t know Jimmy do you think you can walk home? No? Then no.”

Reaction Score

An interesting take on the difficulties of scheduling as a good mid-major team that won't schedule buy games.

For the last decade, James Jones has coached a consistently solid top-150ish team with the 19-20, 18-19, 15-16, 14-15 teams all finishing in the top-80 KenPom.

Personally, as long as James Jones is at the helm, UConn should play Yale every season, especially replacing one of the OOC cupcakes we've over-schedued during Hurley's tenure. Let's make it an annual neutral game at Bridgeport.

He'll let most anyone come watch a practice as well. They run a TIGHT practice. Really great for anyone looking to improve their own coaching.

I met the coach from that Navajo HS basketball show on Netflix at one of Yale's practices a few years ago, really great guy.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We should be scheduling 6-7 P5 games a year include a MTE, Gavitt games, and Big East/Big 12 challenge. In addition, I think we should play Yale, Harvard, and Princeton yearly.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think you meant to post this on the official SWAC college basketball forum. That or Gonzaga's.
I’m serious. Next year with PK85, Gavitt, and Big 12 games, that should be five. Get a home and home with Syracuse and finish the Florida series. Round out the schedule with the three Ivies and a HBCU.

Reaction Score
If they won’t do buy games, this is the deal. We aren’t playing in New Haven and we aren’t playing neutral and sharing gate. Sorry to all the nostalgics, but this is Yale’s own doing.
Agree and Chief is a fan of Coach Jones. Economics, money talks. Play the game in Hartford and there will be plenty of seats for Yale fans, as there was in football this season.
I do agree with many here, we can NEVER have another Home OCC slate of games like this season’s. If we do, it is a sign of failure from the AD, to the schedulers to Hurley. No sugar coating it. No excuses next season. The loyal season ticketholder fans deserve more respect.

Reaction Score
Agree and Chief is a fan of Coach Jones. Economics, money talks. Play the game in Hartford and there will be plenty of seats for Yale fans, as there was in football this season.
I do agree with many here, we can NEVER have another Home OCC slate of games like this season’s. If we do, it is a sign of failure from the AD, to the schedulers to Hurley. No sugar coating it. No excuses next season. The loyal season ticketholder fans deserve more respect.
Very fair, especially when three of our six cupcake games are on Saturdays.

I'm all for booking a CT cupcake for the first game (CCSU this year and last, Sacred Heart the previous year) and the HBCU connection is cool, but three HBCU games (especially against the crappy ones) is way too many.

Imagine our OOC this season and making three changes to it would go a long way:

• CCSU
  • Coppin State
    • replace this game with a better local game (Yale, Vermont, UMass, Harvard, Rutgers, Rhode Island, Northeastern, BC, Iona etc)
  • LIU
  • Binghamton
    • Replace one of these games with a P5 game
  • Auburn/Michigan State/VCU
  • UMES
  • Grambling
    • Replace one of these games with a better local game
  • West Virginia
  • Saint Bonaventure

Reaction Score
And the players deserve better as well

Reaction Score
If they won’t do buy games, this is the deal. We aren’t playing in New Haven and we aren’t playing neutral and sharing gate. Sorry to all the nostalgics, but this is Yale’s own doing.
if they agreed to play us every year i'd give them a game at mohegan once every 6 years
I think we should play Yale, Harvard, and Princeton yearly.
why?? are we a wannabe ivy?

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The last school I am going to feel sorry for is Yale. Not UConn’s job to look after their athletic department - if you want games, buy them and stop whining about it. They do not want to pay for games, but they want these games on the schedule…and, oh, by the way, they’re not coming to UConn unless they get paid.

He’s 6-7, didn’t play last year and he talks like he’s some kind of Gonzaga East situation going….they can F off.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
if they agreed to play us every year i'd give them a game at mohegan once every 6 years

why?? are we a wannabe ivy?
Outside of the P5, they are some of the most recognizable brands.

Reaction Score
Outside of the P5, they are some of the most recognizable brands.
not athletically... they are academically recognizable but how exactly would that benefit UConn basketball? we certainly arent competing for the same recruits and our attendance numbers against ivies are only better in comparison to cupcakes

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
not athletically... they are academically recognizable but how exactly would that benefit UConn basketball? we certainly arent competing for the same recruits and our attendance numbers when we've played ivies are only better compared to cupcakes
If the public's option is to attend UConn-Princeton at Gampel or UConn-UMBC, I can assure you that there will be more people in the stands for the former. The point is that the Ivies should be our cupcakes. Playing sub-250 NET teams is not good for us.

Reaction Score
The point is that the Ivies should be our cupcakes. Playing sub-250 NET teams is not good for us.
there are a lot of teams ranked b/w 161-250 that qualify as a Q4 non-cupcake home win. 89 to be exact. playing the same 3 ivies every year is just plain weird.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom