Yakwe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yakwe

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He occasionally has a nice take to the basket like his dunk early in the game on Saturday, but in general I agree that he does play tenatively. I think there is real promise for him though to gain strength and confidence and develop into a star at some point.

A star? No way. He's best suited to being a nice role player off the bench. Maybe he develops into a Gavin Edwards level player (yes I know they are not the same position).

Reaction Score
A star? No way. He's best suited to being a nice role player off the bench. Maybe he develops into a Gavin Edwards level player (yes I know they are not the same position).

Sorry, but I see some serious upside in this kid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him score 20 plus some day next season. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the kid is gifted offensively.

Having said that, I see lots of promise in Sid too. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Despite losing Jalen after this season, I think the roster will be far more talented overall next season, in part due to the progression of Polley, Sid, and Al.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I see some serious upside in this kid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him score 20 plus some day next season. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the kid is gifted offensively.

He just might. Gavin did too. The problem with Polley is that he is too unathletic to be a three, and at the moment too physically under-matched at the four. Classic tweener. He also lacks that killer/banger attitude at the four.

He's a useful piece, I just don't see 'star' in him. You never know tho.

And if we land Precious (which I personally don't think we will), he'll be third in line at the three.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Polley has to get better defensively and stronger so he can get more rebounds, but I also think he's got the potential to be very good offensively.

Reaction Score
I actually like Polley more than most and i'm a pretty big critic of the talent on the team.

He can shoot. He's already kind of surprised people even though he's not that athletic. I don't think he's really a starter on a good team at all - even after four years, but his final two years - having a guy who can drop 3's pretty seamlessly is useful. He's the one guy on this group I see a really clear role for heading forward out of the non-premium talent guys.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t exactly call yakwe a “rim protector” lol. Still don’t understand for the life of me why Cobb doesn’t play against nova - there Was absolutely nothing to lose - I don’t care if he’s a blowup doll on defense - anything better than Carlton- I understand hurley sending a message in any game the rest of the year moving forward , but not this one. The second half of that nova game set us back in so many different facets of our program- just terrible.

Reaction Score
I can’t take another winter like this - once NFL playoffs end February is pretty much 100% uconn time -,and the last two Februaries were absolutely awful - not going to go to thru another February like I did the past two years. Maybe I’ll stsrt following nascar or soccer. Shoot me. Lol.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Yakwe and Sid start with Polley coming off the bench
To me, that's the strongest lineup - right now - things can change as long as DH has the gumption to shake things up

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He can shoot. He's already kind of surprised people even though he's not that athletic. I don't think he's really a starter on a good team at all - even after four years, but his final two years - having a guy who can drop 3's pretty seamlessly is useful. He's the one guy on this group I see a really clear role for heading forward out of the non-premium talent guys.

Now this I can agree with. It's a realistic take on Polley. Some guys see him as a starter or even 'a star'. If he's our starter his senior year, unless purely token, we aren't going to be that good.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don’t care if he’s a blowup doll on defense - anything better than Carlton- I understand hurley sending a message in any game the rest of the year moving forward , but not this one. The second half of that nova game set us back in so many different facets of our program- just terrible.

That's a hot hot take. I don't know if that's ever happened in UCONN history, taking steps back in so many different facets of our program. In a December game no less.

Who knew one half could have such import?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can’t take another winter like this - once NFL playoffs end February is pretty much 100% uconn time -,and the last two Februaries were absolutely awful - not going to go to thru another February like I did the past two years. Maybe I’ll stsrt following nascar or soccer. Shoot me. Lol.

It's been nothing like last year, which could be described as damn near permanently lifeless. We've had a couple of bad stretches of basketball. Most of the time, it's been night and day in terms of effort.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Yakwe and Sid start with Polley coming off the bench
To me, that's the strongest lineup - right now - things can change as long as Dan Hurley has the gumption to shake things up

Yakwe averages 2 points and 2 rebounds and you are calling for him to start. Are you going through Onuorah withdrawal ?

Reaction Score
The idea that our second half defense vs Nova could have been worse with Cobb in there is laughable. We went minus 25 points in the second half. Yet Carlton and Yakwe were a defensive and offensive clinic? With their combined 4 rebounds and 4 points.

Reaction Score
Aside from being a superior shot blocker, he's a poor man's Phil Nolan. Not much talent, but has better footwork than Cobb/Carlton and is at times a good not-in-the-box score kind of guy.

Better footwork than Cobb? How about we stop making excuses and look at production? Cobb is better than both of them and it's not really close.

Reaction Score
Follow high school hoops?? Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom