Yakwe | The Boneyard

Yakwe

Reaction Score
A lot of props for this guy lately. 19 minutes, 2 points, 2rebounds, 2 blocks. Carlton 12, 2, and 3. With no inside our guards had no clean looks (and if they did they missed). We were destroyed on the boards in this game. Based on those stats what exactly is Cobb’s downside to playing? Our defense would be worse than what we just saw? We lose by 40 with him in there?

Reaction Score
No downside. I know he might not be a great practice player but Carlton has no post talent at this point. No understanding of pic and roll, not very good hands so offensively there is absolutely no threat in paint area when Cobb is not out there against any kind of quality competition.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yawke, right now, is the best big man the team has
Its time to start him at the 5 and Sid at the 4 and bring Polley off the bench, ala Rashad

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hurley is not that dumb. Gotta be a quiet suspension of some kind.

Dunno. Cobb can't play D. If you can't play D, Hurley (nor JC) is not that much interested in you.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Aside from being a superior shot blocker, he's a poor man's Phil Nolan. Not much talent, but has better footwork than Cobb/Carlton and is at times a good not-in-the-box score kind of guy.

Reaction Score
Thats the only thing that makes sense. The kid is too good on offense to not be playing minutes of some sort. There has to be something behind this.
I think so too. He doesn’t even get in for garbage time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thats the only thing that makes sense. The kid is too good on offense to not be playing minutes of some sort. There has to be something behind this.

Maybe. Or maybe he doesn't play D. If you don't, you don't play under Hurley, no matter what.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or maybe he doesn't play D. If you don't, you don't play under Hurley, no matter what.

Was he playing D earlier in the year, when he played under Hurley?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Was he playing D earlier in the year, when he played under Hurley?

Not that well. And against significantly inferior competition. He's just not that good at it. At least, from anything I've seen.

Carlton looks great on offense against bad teams, but when he's playing against any reasonable competition, he fades.

Personally, I'd play Cobb, but I understand why Hurley doesn't, given his philosophy.

Maybe he's in the dog house, but I think it's more what he's (not) delivering on the more important side of the court.

Reaction Score
Cobb put major points and rebounds on the board in our “big” games. Was that a dream? Is a defensive rebound a good thing? Whatever liabilities he has, doesn’t he get 15 minutes to clog the middle and make some putbacks? The idea that you keep in 2 non productive players because he didn’t practice well makes no sense.

Reaction Score
cobb has a talented offensive game. its just that his defensive game can't make up for it. he reminds me of a brook lopez type of center that can only provide points and not much on defense. going forward, cobb needs to make sure he's giving 100 percent in practice so he can actually get into the rotation again because i'm concerned he's digging himself a hole he soon won't be able to dig out of. we need cobb in order to compete because our frontcourt in AAC play won't do it without his presence. after the cuse/iowa game i was really looking forward to him breaking into the starting lineup and averaging 13/10 by now, but it went south for some reason.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree with that lineup. Polley provides nothing but an outside shot.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think people are nuts in here.
We just a killed in a half and gave up a ton of points WITH our better defensive players.
Cobb could do no worse and would have contributed way more on OFFENSE.
Case closed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cobb put major points and rebounds on the board in our “big” games. Was that a dream? Is a defensive rebound a good thing? Whatever liabilities he has, doesn’t he get 15 minutes to clog the middle and make some putbacks? The idea that you keep in 2 non productive players because he didn’t practice well makes no sense.

How many points does he give up (even in second hand fashion) for how many he scores? I don't have the answer.

As I said, I would play him. But given his philosophy of defense before all else, I understand why Hurley doesn't.

And yes, he could be in the doghouse. idk

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think people are nuts in here.
We just a killed in a half and gave up a ton of points WITH our better defensive players.
Cobb could do no worse and would have contributed way more on OFFENSE.
Case closed.

Or we could have given up 60 to Nova.

Cobb would not have been camped down low on D with the way Nova generally plays. They would have exploited that.

Reaction Score
Agree with that lineup. Polley provides nothing but an outside shot.

He occasionally has a nice take to the basket like his dunk early in the game on Saturday, but in general I agree that he does play tenatively. I think there is real promise for him though to gain strength and confidence and develop into a star at some point.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He occasionally has a nice take to the basket like his dunk early in the game on Saturday, but in general I agree that he does play tenatively. I think there is real promise for him though to gain strength and confidence and develop into a star at some point.
He’s put it on the floor a handful of times this season, he has a decent floater but he’s not confident in anything but his shooting ability.

I think Sid will overtake his minutes and become that star. You can tell Sid likes the limelight.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Maybe he didn't do well on exams?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Stop the madness. There is a 0.0% chance Cobb didn’t play based on matchups or a bad day in practice. It would have been coaching malpractice for Hurley not play him for those reasons. Clearly he is serving some kind of suspension that hasn’t been made public? Maybe Sid can start a countdown on his instagram. That was very helpful for figuring out when he was coming back from his exile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom