Yakwe Commits | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Yakwe Commits

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I look at the resumes of Smith and Yakwe and I see next year's Anderson and next year's Onourah. The resemblance, even physically, is uncanny. In the case of Yakwe and Onuorah, there's even the mystery of why these guys all but disappeared after their freshman year. We all have high hopes for Dan Hurley, but so far it has resulted only in a trade of Akinjo, Matthews and Kisunas for Adams, Smith and Yakwe. Yikes! As I said before, an awful lot of blind trust is being asked for here.

Apology accepted

Reaction Score
I'm seeing his Box Plus/Minus at .3 per 100 possessions which is 7th best on the team from last year. Where are you getting that number from?
BPM is different. It is adjusted (-2 is actually replacement level rather than 0 too for BPM).

This is just raw +/- from www.scacchoops.com/

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I look at the resumes of Smith and Yakwe and I see next year's Anderson and next year's Onourah. The resemblance, even physically, is uncanny. In the case of Yakwe and Onuorah, there's even the mystery of why these guys all but disappeared after their freshman year. We all have high hopes for Dan Hurley, but so far it has resulted only in a trade of Akinjo, Matthews and Kisunas for Adams, Smith and Yakwe. Yikes! As I said before, an awful lot of blind trust is being asked for here.

How about giving him a chance. He took over late so most recruiting was done. I think he is doing pretty good and involved with alott of good recruits.

Reaction Score
How about giving him a chance. He took over late so most recruiting was done. I think he is doing pretty good and involved with alott of good recruits.

You are 100% right. But just keep in mind that watching David O playing so many minutes has traumatized some of us.

Reaction Score
I would have preferred to get another guard or small forward who can shoot. He seems like a worst version of Diarra and a little bit of a reach. I think we have enough limited players up front and didn’t need to get another one. I liked the guards we got and hope it is true that DH is still recruiting for ‘18. That could mean it we might lose one of those limited up front players to one who has skills and can score and shoot the ball. If that is the case I won’t feel as bad about this pickup.

Reaction Score
Assuming Carlton and Diarra are penciled in at the 4 and 5 spots, it will be interesting how KW and Whaley's roles shake out with Yakwe aboard.

I think it's very clear that Hurley/the staff want guys who are a bit more physically mature.
His dad even mentioned when his son was hired that he thought the team looked small. Its about time we get some players with some meat on their bones. Maybe they can even rebound.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where is our front court scoring coming from?
Our backcourt? [rimshot]

Actually I'll give Hurley the benefit of the doubt. I think he will have a serviceable front court with the tools we have.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it’s played out as I expected. Get two one year guys and a Fr and focus on very good/elite talent for 2019/2020. Dan’s created a base to show improvement next year coupled with improved S&C and culture. For 2019/2020 he starts brining in top talent. A reclass would be exception to the rule. With Adams and Vital leaving after next season lots of shot attempts to recruit for.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Right now, in Hurley we trust!

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s played out as I expected. Get two one year guys and a Fr and focus on very good/elite talent for 2019/2020. Dan’s created a base to show improvement next year coupled with improved S&C and culture. For 2019/2020 he starts brining in top talent. A reclass would be exception to the rule. With Adams and Vital leaving after next season lots of shot attempts to recruit for.

VItal is only a junior next year. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Quite frankly, this played out exactly as I thought too.

I couldn’t say it at the time, but I made hints that I knew we’d sign 2 new guards and a new big that would leave us “flexibility” moving forward.

It’s EXACTLY as I predicted, also.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, this played out exactly as I thought too.

I couldn’t say it at the time, but I made hints that I knew we’d sign 2 new guards and a new big that would leave us “flexibility” moving forward.

It’s EXACTLY as I predicted, also.

I would've preferred a grad wing.

I want Carlton, Diarra and Whaley getting all kinds of minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm cautiously optimistic that he is being underrated. Yakwe was a top 100-ish recruit just three years ago. He had a ton of very impressive offers in HS. Showed a ton of promise as a freshman. St. John's is dysfunctional and he fell out of favor, for whatever reason, but he has a chance to be a contributor next season.

Reaction Score
I like what I see

Finally a post man and a shot blocker!! I miss the days when UConn led the country in blocked shots year after year. Long ago are the days of Okafor, Boone and Armstrong among many others. HE looks like a GREAT addition to next years team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t mind this one. This isn’t DO.

I look at this kid the same way I look at Enoch.

They underachieved relative to expectations, but they also played for inept head coaches.

Kid’s a tremendous athlete - if there’s anything to get out of him, Hurley will get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom