Yakwe Commits | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Yakwe Commits

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I think overall Wilson may be as good as TL in a team setting. Defense is more important than offense, you need 5 defenders but only 1 scorer on any given possession. Wilson was an effective scorer at Brewster and it seems he's scored well in UConn practices. I think Hurley has enough tools to make an effective offense, at least one better than what we had last year, and can significantly improve defense. Yakwe and Wilson are a huge defensive improvement over Onuorah and TL, and the defensive philosophy and coaching will be better too.

Last year we were #171 on offense and #178 on defense by Kenpom. If we can be top 100 on offense and top 40 on defense, that gets us in the vicinity of teams like Providence (100/36), Boise St (82/42), Alabama (106/20), Nebraska (75/44), Miss St (76/40), i.e. on the tourney bubble. I think that's eminently achievable. Rhode Island was 69/46 without appreciably better talent.

I don't think a lot of people realize how bad Larrier was last year (everyone was bad except for Jalen and Vital and at times the various bigs). We didn't have another option since Terry was one of a few guys who could consistently create his own shot, but the results were mostly dismal. He contributed the same # of wins as Carlton and Whaley and even less than Anderson...in short he was an inefficient player who played little to no defense and the -2.6 box +/- reflects that.
Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.03.48 AM.png

I wish Terry nothing but the best and hopes he excels wherever he ends up, but the bar isn't set very high with regards to replacing his production.

Reaction Score
I don't think a lot of people realize how bad TL was last year (everyone was bad except for Jalen and Vital and at times the various bigs). We didn't have another option since Terry was one of a few guys who could consistently create his own shot, but the results were mostly dismal. He contributed the same # of wins as Carlton and Whaley and even less than Anderson...in short he was an inefficient player who played little to no defense and the -2.6 box +/- reflects that.
View attachment 30828

I wish Terry nothing but the best and hopes he excels wherever he ends up, but the bar isn't set very high with regards to replacing his production.
I won't be surprised if we get more production out of Wilson + Polley this year than we did with Polley + Larrier last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think a lot of people realize how bad TL was last year (everyone was bad except for Jalen and Vital and at times the various bigs). We didn't have another option since Terry was one of a few guys who could consistently create his own shot, but the results were mostly dismal. He contributed the same # of wins as Carlton and Whaley and even less than Anderson...in short he was an inefficient player who played little to no defense and the -2.6 box +/- reflects that.
View attachment 30828

You're not wrong, but it does show the limitations of some advanced stats. I mean, CV finishes ahead of Adams in several metrics, incl WS. But if you take Adams off the team, UCONN wouldn't have won a single game last year [Edit: after that first one*]. Not one. Subtract CV, and they still would have cobbled together some Ws.

*thanks Hans

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if we get more production out of Wilson + Polley this year than we did with Polley + TL last year.

That's not a dramatic statement though, given Polley should make some sort of a jump.

If Polley can replicate Terry's shooting from outside, the difference could be substantial.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but it does show the limitations of some advanced stats. I mean, CV finishes ahead of Adams in several metrics, incl WS. But if you take Adams off the team, UCONN wouldn't have won a single game last year. Not one. Subtract CV, and they still would have cobbled together some Ws.
Didn't they win the opening game with Adams out for Scootergate? Seems like so long ago, or a bad dream.

Reaction Score
That's not a dramatic statement though, given Polley should makes some sort of a jump.

If Polley can replicate Terry's shooting from outside, the difference could be substantial.

Toward the end of the year, Polley would fake a three and go hard to the rim. He didn't have much success but it was definitely a step in the right direction. I suspect it will get better this year ad help him round out his game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Didn't they win the opening game with Adams out for Scootergate? Seems like so long ago, or a bad dream.

Haha yeah, very fair. I'm shocked looking back on it. I'm going to add an edit lol

Reaction Score
Do you mean like Kassoum Kayentao renowned medical researcher from Mali, or Kassoum Denton, the Minister of Agriculture of Mali, or Kassoum Coulibaly, economist and President/CEO of Global Institute for Women’s Employment?

Somebody got their Google Search Merit Badge!

Reaction Score
Toward the end of the year, Polley would fake a three and go hard to the rim. He didn't have much success but it was definitely a step in the right direction. I suspect it will get better this year ad help him round out his game.
If he can put some meat on his bones and be more confident he could be a pretty good player. We'll see what happens. I' m not as pessimistic about the coming season as some posters. I think Hurley can mold this group into a decent team. I'm expecting 20 wins at the very least.

Reaction Score
I like Polley a lot. I think he’s slept on around here

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Its attitude thats gonna turn this team around. All these kids can play, they just need to want it more than everybody else. In the gym, in the weight room, in the dorms. Eat, sleep and uconn basketball.

Reaction Score
View attachment 30828

This is why I thought it was crazy that guys were happy about Hurley asking Larrier if he’d stay. No way we are better with him.

Reaction Score
Its attitude thats gonna turn this team around. All these kids can play, they just need to want it more than everybody else. In the gym, in the weight room, in the dorms. Eat, sleep and uconn basketball.
it's more than that. attitude will help tremendously more than just in the gym, weight room, and dorms, they need to play for eachother and play unselfishly.

And ironically they need to spend a lot of time working on their individual skills. Shooting, ball handling, post moves, everything.

If Hurley can get them to play great defense, create turnovers, and move the ball up the court with the pass, they can overcome a lot of their shortcomings on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom