Yahoo: UConn wise to be patient evaluating Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yahoo: UConn wise to be patient evaluating Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have not yet been impressed with and thing ADWM has done or said, period. Underwhelmed!
Sadly he looks like a genius compared to his predecessor.

Reaction Score
I honestly didn't get that impression from the article. He had nothing negative to say about the program except that we are banned from the postseason. He implied that UConn should be considering their own interests and felt that Ollie would earn the job in due time. We may hate Yahoo for outing Calhoun's Nate Miles incident, but that doesn't make them evil.

Media companies have a lot of writers, too. Not every writer is going to have the same agenda. This seemed like an unbiased piece of writing to me offering an opinion on what the "smart" thing to do is. I didn't sense an agenda, and I find it comical (and a little conspiracy-heavy) to imply that this is an underhanded way to sink the program.

But I beg to differ. I have seen a pattern with Yahoo sports as well as other media companies. Journalists, more often than not, take a position that get hits, sell print, advance their careers. Therefore I'd say bias is more accurate or perhaps self serving than use the word evil, just to clarify. When I read Yahoo don't think fair and balanced, same for Fox MSNBC yada yada Gotlieb, Goodman. There's usually an agenda with some folk.

Nor do I think this "smart" with regard to the way it was handled. Nor (do I think) in the University's best interest which is entirely the point.

I do think there was a better solution that ADWM didn't take. Why? As the new guy he need to distance himself, flex his johnson, assert that he not JC was in charge and that HE new better how to handle the situation. Thus I felt and still feel his actions are more out of self interest than concern for the state of UConn basketball or the University in general. How invested is he at this point. Does he bleed Husky blue? You think? Really?

To state this is "smart" is to deny the obvious (stability/recruiting) and demonstrates a lack of understanding that a contract, with a buyout, would have been a better and truly smarter way to go. Applauding the original decision and/or advocating more of the same (what the author implies) especially after what we have seen with our own eyes and heard from players, recruits, as well as coaches (if you want me to throw out broadcasters).

I view ADWM resistance (to extend) as egocentric . And I read this journalistic drivil, applauding the wait and see as more anti JC anti UConn than advocation of smart prudent stewardship by the AD of a few months. Who wants more than anything to have his cake and eat it too....and come out smelling like a rose which ever way this turns.

OK I'm done Nomar. I've pulverized the horse.

Reaction Score
Irish L said: "I think he makes some interesting points. I see both sides of the argument and I know I'd have a heck of a time making that decision. "

Sorry but I don't agree. Historically hasn't Yahoo sports been out to sink the UConn flagship along with it's captain and builder (JC). This is simply more of the same, perhaps a bit more subtle... nevertheless more of the same.

What makes the dough-boy from Buffalo/Michigan a better talent evaluator than the guy who who built the program, knows the job and knows Ollie. Come on. Is that the face and presence to represent UConn athletics (insert a few dozen "You Knows") P L E A S E.

And don't give me all the sanctions "it's all JC's fault" crap. NCAA rules (some of which no longer exist) are bogus and enforced selectively.

This Yahoo guy is just a hater in sheep's clothing.

I totally agree. Why,in point of fact, do we give a rat's a** about anything that Yahoo has to say about the UConn men's basketball program and coaches past and present. They are struggling to sustain any relevance at all compared to other internet outlets like ESPN,Fox and CBS(who,unfortunately employ, those dueling blowholes Parrish and Goodman), and have been for a long,long time. Only bad things should happen to them!

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE CRIMSON!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is the one right decision Manual has made. If and when Ollie gets the nod, he will be in a stronger position. He will have shown he's earned the job as opposed to having had it gifted.

Agreed. Ollie needs to earn the job. As for recruits...who the hell wants to play for some guy who has never coached before? I think the recruiting was going to fall off no matter what, until Ollie shows he can keep the program on course. JC should have retired after 2010. We'd be a NC team conducting a search. I think Olllie will be a very good coach, and get better over time. I have little doubt that he'll be extended.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I totally agree. Why,in point of fact, do we give a rat's a** about anything that Yahoo has to say about the UConn men's basketball program and coaches past and present. They are struggling to sustain any relevance at all compared to other internet outlets like ESPN,Fox and CBS(who,unfortunately employ, those dueling blowholes Parrish and Goodman), and have been for a long,long time. Only bad things should happen to them!

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE CRIMSON!!!

ESPN gets 62 million unique users a month. Yahoo gets 60. No one else gets more than 17.

Reaction Score
Warde. I don't give a he is an idiot. JC is the reason that WM is getting the salary that he does...and frankly JC took a salary that is a HUGE discount over what the other top coaches in the game get. JC left more money on the table than WM makes in a year each year to stay at UConn year after year.

C

Chief00

The bottom-line is given their front court talent level UC is going to start losing when the Big East iron schedule hits. Then Manuel will have the W/L justification to hire who he wants. It is not fair to Ollie - and we may lose a guy with the potential to be a great coach.

Reaction Score
Another genius.

You really couldn't spoof the level of stupidity on this board.

Looks like he meant 2011 (so we'd be coming off a NC). That's a better point to make than 2010. It has the advantage of hindsight, since we know 2012 unraveled - but on paper we could have repeated (especially if Drummond was more of a polished player).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The bottom-line is given their front court talent level UC is going to start losing when the Big East iron schedule hits. Then Manuel will have the W/L justification to hire who he wants. It is not fair to Ollie - and we may lose a guy with the potential to be a great coach.

This is what I fear. Good post, I agree that its not fair to Olle.

But also, not only is this unfair to Ollie, but the players. A hell of a lot has been put on the kids' plates this season. Not only have they had to deal with a post-season ban because of past players' indiscretions, but I'm sure they also feel the need to try to validate KO for that permanent contract even though KO doesn't want that to be the motivation. They also have to cope with Calhoun's sudden departure (even though his not too far).

I know Warde will do the right thing and extend KO when the new year rolls around. It is clear that, if passed over here, KO would find another solid coaching gig elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I do think there was a better solution that ADWM didn't take. Why? As the new guy he need to distance himself, flex his johnson, assert that he not JC was in charge and that HE new better how to handle the situation. Thus I felt and still feel his actions are more out of self interest than concern for the state of UConn basketball or the University in general. How invested is he at this point. Does he bleed Husky blue? You think? Really?

Warde Manuel's entire livelihood is in the balance with this job. I don't think this is just some ego trip to him. He is trying to make sure the Athletic Department can't just be steamrolled by whatever Calhoun wants. UConn has a vested interest in a strong, independent Athletic Department.

I love Calhoun as much as the next guy, but he's no innocent. He's the one responsible for the mess we're in right now, and the reason we can't play in any postseason tournaments. Whether or not the APR is fair, plenty of other coaches managed to skate by.

So not bowing down to Calhoun and whatever Calhoun wants isn't just important for Warde Manual and his job, but for the entire University in general. I have stated several times that I don't necessarily agree with Manuel's decision regarding Ollie, but if you can look at this and see anything but a very difficult situation for him in which he has been backed into a corner and forced to make some tough choices, then you're just being arrogant.

I don't know about you, but I don't have to do my job on TV in front of millions of alumni, and for that, I'm thankful.

Reaction Score
It's not worth much. A ton of basketball professional loved Dom Perno. They didn't praise JC nearly as much at the start.

Geez no wonder a ton of basketball professionals loved Dom, he was awful enough to keep UConn from forming a team to compete at the BE level......makes sense!!:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geez no wonder a ton of basketball professionals loved Dom, he was awful enough to keep UConn from forming a team to compete at the BE level......makes sense!!:rolleyes:

Exactly! That's why you have to take their words with a grain of salt. These "experts" don't give a rat's ass about UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is what I fear. Good post, I agree that its not fair to Olle.

Not fair to Ollie? He was named head coach of a Top 10 program with zero head coaching experience and only 2 years of any coaching experience. That's unprecedented. Unfair? He's blessed!

Reaction Score
Exactly! That's why you have to take their words with a grain of salt. These "experts" don't give a rat's ass about UConn.

I do. And I don't see how what was said decades ago about Dom Perno is relevant in this discussion.

Different time, different people. And honestly I don't know what was said or by whom and it doesn't matter with KO.

I may very well agree with you on the topic, specifically with regard to Dom, however not this one. It is not so cut and dry with KO.

The negative impact on recruiting reported as fact or opinion seems more than plausible to me it seems logical. When so many former and current players and coaches have gone out of their way in statements of support KO. I consider who says what. I listen and use my healthy grain of salt filter and arrive at my own conclusions. And when we all see players respond to KO, it passes the optics test, it's palpable

Coaches are always evaluated. That's not my beef.

W-Your knee jerk generalization is not even yesterdays news. It's so last century.

Irish-calling someone arrogant that doesn't agree with you is poor form. Don't do it again. If you would like me to take off the gloves I am more than capable. You're obviously don't understand the difference between passion and arrogance. Furthermore your argument is weak. You proved my point in your first sentence "Warde Manuel's entire livelihood is in the balance with this job." This is what is most important to ADWM. Thing is he is in a pickle and he chose the wrong solution. His solution hurts the program. OK he had reservations. I understand that. Give him a 3-year with an entry level salary and a buyout. If it doesn't work your covered if it does you extend and compensate accordingly. Please tell me what's wrong with that and why his solution was better. What, pray tell are the advantages to his plan that counter the negativity that continues.

If ADWM uses W/L to justify firing KO, a collosal storm will follow. More controversy and negative press. Will that be good for UConn or anybody? IMO no it won't. So again IMO and in the opinion of other worthless
nobodies according to the all knowing individuals on this board, KO contract extension is justified and inevidible.

Cause like it or not the old irish street fighter out foxed the Michigan doughnut eating ex football player and ultimately made a very wise choice. Why? because he is invested in the school and program he built and has passion and a sense of family. Does he have flaws...hell yeah plenty. However the guy has a good and big heart. I admire him, warts and all.

So whats the hold

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Not fair to Ollie? He was named head coach of a Top 10 program with zero head coaching experience and only 2 years of any coaching experience. That's unprecedented. Unfair? He's blessed!

No doubt he's blessed, but he's still in an unfair position. Give the guy a 3 year deal with a contract structured so that UConn can get out after 2 or something. He's had to work with his future in doubt and a major recruiting disadvantage. He's not being given a fair shot.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I see this over and over again... but we wont be that bad off in the Big East this year. We play USF twice, DePaul twice, and PC twice. Villanova sucks beyond belief. We get Louisville, Syracuse, and Georgetown at home... our toughest games are at Cincinnati, at Marquette, and at ND. The only way our Big East schedule could have been easier is if they gave us St John's or Seton Hall twice instead of Cinci.

Reaction Score
This is the one right decision Manual has made. If and when Ollie gets the nod, he will be in a stronger position. He will have shown he's earned the job as opposed to having had it gifted.

A stronger position with lesser basketball players.

Whatever that means.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A stronger position with lesser basketball players.

Whatever that means.

Who would be coming to UConn that isn't because of the contract situation?

Reaction Score
Who would be coming to UConn that isn't because of the contract situation?

Possibly Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Brandon Austin. Who knows about Vonleh? I presume not, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom