Yahoo: UConn wise to be patient evaluating Ollie | The Boneyard

Yahoo: UConn wise to be patient evaluating Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hard to get past these points:
  • Furthermore, Manuel finds himself in a bit of a power struggle with Calhoun. It's fairly obvious Calhoun drew out his retirement until September in part to leave UConn with little choice but to hire Ollie, so Manuel's way of asserting his authority to hire the coach he wants longterm was to only give Ollie a contract running through April.
  • Of course, the problem with this approach is Ollie's chance of succeeding in his trial season are diminished by the problems Calhoun left him. Not only is UConn ineligible for postseason play this season as a result of APR penalties, offseason transfers by Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith left the Huskies without their usual array of frontcourt talent. As a result, it's unlikely UConn can contend in the Big East and motivation could wane in February once it's clear the conference title is no longer a reachable goal.
  • Nonetheless, Manuel is smart to take the next few months to make certain Ollie is his guy, even if it costs the Huskies a recruit or two in the process.
So...it is more important for Manuel t0 assert his authority over JC, even if it will be impossible to tell if Ollie did a good job given the team and the circumstances, and even if we lose a recruit or two in the process.

I'm sure Yahoo would love nothing better than for Manuel to take his sweet time. I guess there's a reason for the phrase "consider the source."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BS, any contract could have been structured with a reasonable buyout and this circus avoided. Appointing KO as interim coach would have caused less turmoil.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Appointing KO as interim coach would have caused less turmoil.

Actually, that is exactly what happened. By definition, Ollie is our interim head coach. And that's exactly how it is perceived.

Reaction Score
We have quite a set of assistants. Notice Wolf is getting playing time. Long overdue. One HUGE advantage in keeping Ollie is he is our only means to keep the Calhoun legacy alive. And he can produce many more results from the Calhoun coaching tree if given the job. Ollie has experience under too many legends.

Reaction Score
Irish L said: "I think he makes some interesting points. I see both sides of the argument and I know I'd have a heck of a time making that decision. "

Sorry but I don't agree. Historically hasn't Yahoo sports been out to sink the UConn flagship along with it's captain and builder (JC). This is simply more of the same, perhaps a bit more subtle... nevertheless more of the same.

What makes the dough-boy from Buffalo/Michigan a better talent evaluator than the guy who who built the program, knows the job and knows Ollie. Come on. Is that the face and presence to represent UConn athletics (insert a few dozen "You Knows") P L E A S E.

And don't give me all the sanctions "it's all JC's fault" crap. NCAA rules (some of which no longer exist) are bogus and enforced selectively.

This Yahoo guy is just a hater in sheep's clothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BS, any contract could have been structured with a reasonable buyout and this circus avoided. Appointing KO as interim coach would have caused less turmoil.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
This.

If it was really a test to see if Ollie could do the job, you give him a contract with a modest salary (done) and you put in a modest buyout clause in the first year. Pretty easy to do. It wasn't done that way as a salve to the AD's ego.

Reaction Score
I have not yet been impressed with and thing ADWM has done or said, period. Underwhelmed!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Whatever Yahoo says, I disagree. It's a matter of principle: Yahoo says it, I disagree. If Yahoo were to write that the Earth is round, I would disagree on the basis that there is probably some hidden agenda.

Reaction Score
What makes the dough-boy from Buffalo/Michigan a better talent evaluator than the guy who who built the program, knows the job and knows Ollie. Come on. Is that the face and presence to represent UConn athletics (insert a few dozen "You Knows") P L E A S E.
I've seen this argument thrown out constantly, and it's ridiculous.

What makes Warde a better talent evaluator of prospective head coaches? How about the fact that he far more objective than Calhoun on the matter? Or that he, not Jim, was hired to make these types of decisions?

Calhoun has said before that he wanted to retire in a similar manner to Dean Smith so that HIS guy could be the one to succeed him...yet he ignores the part about how disastrous things turned out at UNC. UNC struggled for a little while until Roy took over in 2003.

Once again, I'm all aboard the Ollie bandwagon, but I understand the other side of the argument as well. Even if it costs UConn a recruit or two in the short term, I'm glad Warde is taking his time to try to make the right decision regarding the program's long-term success.

Reaction Score
Calhoun left the program, perhaps in ruins is too strong a term, but in a bad way. Tons of negative publicity, on NCAA probation, lost scholarships and with a post season ban. Then to top it off he left in September so Manuel would have little choice in selecting a head coach. Gvien the mess he left behind I have little sympathy for the argument that he had any "right" to select the next head coach. It was purely ego driven. Manuel wanted and got talked out of naming Ollie interim head coach, I have been told. So now the job is Ollie's to lose. And a legitimate part of the evaluation should be seeing how hard the team plays in February when they are 5-8 in the Big East and have no post season chances. Do they quit? Do they go through the motions? You know Calhoun coached teams didn't. Do they upset someone to impact seeding or the bubble? Those are what most evaluators mean when they say a team plays hard. Not that they were pumped in the season opener when everything is exciting and new.

Reaction Score
I've seen this argument thrown out constantly, and it's ridiculous.

What makes Warde a better talent evaluator of prospective head coaches? How about the fact that he far more objective than Calhoun on the matter? Or that he, not Jim, was hired to make these types of decisions?

Calhoun has said before that he wanted to retire in a similar manner to Dean Smith so that HIS guy could be the one to succeed him...yet he ignores the part about how disastrous things turned out at UNC. UNC struggled for a little while until Roy took over in 2003.

Once again, I'm all aboard the Ollie bandwagon, but I understand the other side of the argument as well. Even if it costs UConn a recruit or two in the short term, I'm glad Warde is taking his time to try to make the right decision regarding the program's long-term success.

And a ton of basketball professionals don't agree with you..for what that's worth. So much for seeing the other other side. JC made a good choice is the point as other have stated clearly... better options were available if ADWM had reservations. The choice he made does not serve the best interests of the University of Connecticut. Your position is ridiculous (Pe-tooey).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is the one right decision Manual has made. If and when Ollie gets the nod, he will be in a stronger position. He will have shown he's earned the job as opposed to having had it gifted.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And a ton of basketball professionals don't agree with you..for what that's worth.

It's not worth much. A ton of basketball professional loved Dom Perno. They didn't praise JC nearly as much at the start.

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to bother reading the article, but man, you know you've really screwed something up when Yahoo sports thinks you've done well.

Reaction Score
It's not worth much. A ton of basketball professional loved Dom Perno. They didn't praise JC nearly as much at the start.
that's true. and realistically, when have you ever heard basketball media types say some coach is bad? Seriously...

Reaction Score
It's freakin' Yahoo (the name says it all). Never said anything positive about UConn. They never will.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Were not talkin Dom Perno. And Jay Bilas opinion holds more water than yours. It's really simple.

It's all logrolling. Meaningless fluff.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Reaction Score
Sorry but I don't agree. Historically hasn't Yahoo sports been out to sink the UConn flagship along with it's captain and builder (JC). This is simply more of the same, perhaps a bit more subtle... nevertheless more of the same.

And don't give me all the sanctions "it's all JC's fault" crap. NCAA rules (some of which no longer exist) are bogus and enforced selectively.

This Yahoo guy is just a hater in sheep's clothing.

I honestly didn't get that impression from the article. He had nothing negative to say about the program except that we are banned from the postseason. He implied that UConn should be considering their own interests and felt that Ollie would earn the job in due time. We may hate Yahoo for outing Calhoun's Nate Miles incident, but that doesn't make them evil.

Media companies have a lot of writers, too. Not every writer is going to have the same agenda. This seemed like an unbiased piece of writing to me offering an opinion on what the "smart" thing to do is. I didn't sense an agenda, and I find it comical (and a little conspiracy-heavy) to imply that this is an underhanded way to sink the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom