Yahoo Sports Boo Hoo | The Boneyard

Yahoo Sports Boo Hoo

Reaction Score
They have a feature article about Sabrina I. They put her in a class with DT and some other greats. They are getting ahead of themselves. Her impact remains to be seen. Against UCONN she was very good, but not DT. We will see.

As Geno said, in her senior year, Taurasi carried her team to a national championship basically on her own. (no, this is not a put down of her teammates - I loved them all)
Even he was surprised.

I have never seen ANY player raise the level of her teammates the way D did.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why are so many people on message boards so obsessed with Ionescu? It's mostly UConn and Oregon St. fans, but why keep dragging it up over and over again?

Reaction Score
sabrina had an amazing college career. I only saw her play once, in Bridgeport.
I think she had 10 turnovers in the first half.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabrina is a fantastic player. Yes, in the pantheon of players who almost single handedly won NC's, DT is beyond reach but Sabrina deserves a boat load of accolades and I will be front and center at Liberty games to see her carry it into the pro's

Reaction Score
I won't mind being proven wrong about it but have serious doubts that she's going to make any more of a splash than Plum made. Accolades and cheering section aside, she was very slow of foot when she played UConn the first time and if memory serves whenever they played better teams who put a good stopper on her she, well, got stopped.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I won't mind being proven wrong about it but have serious doubts that she's going to make any more of a splash than Plum made. Accolades and cheering section aside, she was very slow of foot when she played UConn the first time and if memory serves whenever they played better teams who put a good stopper on her she, well, got stopped.

Plum is settling in and Sabrina is better in many ways. I agree she will not be an all star right away but she will figure it out.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why do you care? We’re bored, not much else to talk about
This is why I think Ionescu is great for women's basketball. Love her or hate her (and there seems to be plenty of both), she gets folks' attention, including a lot of folks who are not regularly interested in WBB. I hope she does great things for the Liberty because the NYC market should be big enough to support the product if there's enough excitement/interest, and there's so much media in NYC that Ionescu + a rising Liberty team could penetrate past the usual back pages of the sports section. (When we're playing sports again, that is...)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is why I think Ionescu is great for women's basketball. Love her or hate her (and there seems to be plenty of both), she gets folks' attention, including a lot of folks who are not regularly interested in WBB. I hope she does great things for the Liberty because the NYC market should be big enough to support the product if there's enough excitement/interest, and there's so much media in NYC that Ionescu + a rising Liberty team could penetrate past the usual back pages of the sports section. (When we're playing sports again, that is...)

Not sure there is much "hate" for her. Just some normal saber rattling from other fan bases who might have wanted her to play for their team. Hardly an Arike on the incendiary index

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why are so many people on message boards so obsessed with Ionescu? It's mostly UConn and Oregon St. fans, but why keep dragging it up over and over again?

nwhoops, you and I can't control the thoughts or opinions of others. This is an "open" forum that allows WCBB fans/sports fans to express their thoughts, ideas and concerns. People from all over the country, and from all walks of life. People with varying degrees of education, perception and intellect. I embrace those posts.

There is a real good chance that we are not going to agree with some, many or any of them. There's nothing we can or should do about it. You and I don't control this forum. We have input, but no control. People are not going to change or modify their comments (or thinking) to satisfy you and me.

People are going to comment and post on items of interest to them, not us. Remember, it's not about us. The owner and managers (moderators) of this thread encourage everyone to come to the yard and express their thoughts, opinions and concerns. We can't get upset with what they post as long as it's not disrespectful or threatening to anyone, and is done in good taste, and it passes the test.

Don't forget the "ignore" button on the top right corner of every thread. If you're not interested in a particular thread, click on that button and it will no longer be displayed on your thread line up. Problem solved. Out of sight, out of mind.

I read a lot more posts than I write. When I come across one that I'm not interested in, I move on. I don't give it a second thought. If someone is "obsessed with the idea that Ionescu is better than Dee, that's not my concern. Nor is it my duty to try and correct them if I think they need to be. I recognize the fact that everyone that comes here has the right to their opinion, even if it doesn't jibe with yours or mine.

The older I get, the more apathetic I become. With age comes wisdom, and in some cases tolerance. I'm concerned about things now that I wasn't 20-30 years ago and vice versa. This Coronavirus pandemic has definitely got my attention. :eek:

I can only speak for myself when I say I couldn't care less what others think of Tauarsi or Ionescu. Personally I'm not a fan of "comparisons". Most comparisons are not fair or equal anyway. Different eras, different talent of supporting players around them, different level of competition, different coaches and what the coaches wanted/asked them to do. I know what I think of them. To me, that's all that matters.

Remember the many comparisons between Dangerfield and the just departed Moriah Jefferson during Crystal's freshman year? I was not interested in those comparisons. What difference did it make? Mo was gone. Why not take the approach of: "Hey Crystal, let's see how good you can be. Don't worry about trying to emulate Mo Jeff, or fill her shoes. Be the best Crystal Dangerfield you can be. We'll support you 100%." She already had enough pressure on her without being compared to Mo. But that's what fans do. They like to compare players against one another. Now that Crystal has completed her 4 years, one can compare them.........if one must. :rolleyes:

For example, compare Natalie Butler's play when she was at Georgetown (BE freshman of the year) and George Mason (I believe she led the nation in rebounds) versus when she was with UConn. Different levels of competition. She dominated play her senior year at George Mason.

Some folks including UConn fans don't think Breanna Stewart deserves one of the 4 spots on UConn's all time Mount Rushmore. :eek:

1586672618579.png

I do!! Her career stats (#2 on UConn's career scoring list, her 4 NCAA Tourny MVP's, something no other UConn female player has) and her 4 national championships (which none of the other candidates for the mount has) say she does! If you're going to use "stats" to support your nomination for a player deserving to be on the mount, Stewie's stats match or exceed those of anyone you nominate.

Tomorrow is not promised my friend. Many yarders are between the age of 50-80. We know and realize that there are more days behind us than in front of us. Let's not concern ourselves with the thoughts and cares of the world, but of the safety, welfare and love for our family.

Let's enjoy the rest of the ride however long it may be, and not worry about the small stuff, i.e., things we can't control. Remember the serenity prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference." I live by this.

Another thought/concept I live by is something Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry character once said: "A man has got to know his limitations". Belief and adoption of those two concepts have served me well the last 50 years. Because I take that approach, life is good. :)

I will say this about Ionescu, she's a very talented player that I think will do very well at the next level. The Liberty is one of the four WNBA teams I like and follow. I'm elated she's going to NY. The local fan interest/support should improve (and will if/when they begin to win). I predict she will "quickly" become a leader on that team just like she did at Oregon.

Players will like playing with her. She makes plays and she shares the ball. She’s responsible, dependable and no nonsense. Oh yeah, she hates losing. The fans will love her. She will be a fan favorite!! She likes to interact with them, take pictures and sign autographs. That alone will win them over.

The Liberty are going to sell a lot of her jerseys in the coming months/years. Carnac predicts she will become the face of the franchise before the end of her 3rd season. That’s not a reach because cream always rises to the top. ;)

Post edit - With the trade of Tina Charles to Washington, ESPN's Holly Rowe suggested during an interview with Sabrina following her selection, that she is already the face of the franchise. Humph, I was off by 2.5 years. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having seen Sabrina in a few games, there's very little question in my mind that she is up there with players of Taurasi's caliber at the college level. It also helps her case that, like Taurasi, she played with some really fine teammates over the course of her college career.

Whether she will equal Taurasi's accomplishments over a whole college+pro career remains to be seen. A lot, of course, depends on things no one can control, like COVID, and on health. Assuming she stays healthy, though, I would bet she is up there among the best of the best at the end. And I'm a UConn fan saying this.

Reaction Score
Not sure there is much "hate" for her. Just some normal saber rattling from other fan bases who might have wanted her to play for their team. Hardly an Arike on the incendiary index
I don't see anymore hate on Sabrina than the massive hate for Geno by other fan bases on their own boards. Some of the things posted about Geno are 5 times worse. Who cares. Just like things that happen on the East Coast don't effect those on the west coast and vice versa.

Reaction Score
It's not so much about Ionescu, who is a great player, it's more about ESPN transforming into the Everything Sabrina Propaganda Network
ESPN is bored and they need something to talk about. I like Sabrina, no reason not to, but I am not sure she makes UCONN's top 5 team. DT, Maya, Breanna, Sue, and Tina is my team. Not sure she displaces any of them. But I think she will have a nice career in the W.

Reaction Score
IMO she is a tier below players I saw-- DT, Maya, Stewie, Holdsclaw, Parker and Griner. (I didn't see EDD play in college other than a few minutes).

Four of the 5 players for at least one year didn't let their teams lose vs weaker teams.

Not Sabrina's fault for not winning it all this year-- but imo she needed to go through a gauntlet and win it all once or be incredibly great going down in defeat. This year's team losing two games sure it can happen. But five of them above for at least one year refused to let it happen. Losing to Az State with her team? It would've been wiped away though with a championship.

Reaction Score
How can anyone (like ESPN, BY’ers or even Charlie Crème :rolleyes: ) judge or make a statement about an individual, since each one plays with a different ‘supporting cast’ (team) and against totally different teams with different strengths and weaknesses (not to mention a different mindset when your winning compared to losing). If we could take players and interchange them with the same people against the same powerhouse teams, we could actually begin to see who’s who under the same situations………….but we can’t :oops: That being said, no one beats Maya Moore :p

Reaction Score
How can anyone (like ESPN, BY’ers or even Charlie Crème :rolleyes: ) judge or make a statement about an individual, since each one plays with a different ‘supporting cast’ (team) and against totally different teams with different strengths and weaknesses (not to mention a different mindset when your winning compared to losing). If we could take players and interchange them with the same people against the same powerhouse teams, we could actually begin to see who’s who under the same situations………….but we can’t :oops: That being said, no one beats Maya Moore :p

It's an opinion. Just as it's an opinion to say that Maya is greater than someone like Collier. I think it to be a fact but that's my opinion. :)

Reaction Score
It's an opinion. Just as it's an opinion to say that Maya is greater than someone like Collier. I think it to be a fact but that's my opinion. :)
Exactly! I was just being facetious. :cool:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
nwhoops, you and I can't control the thoughts or opinions of others. This is an "open" forum that allows WCBB fans/sports fans to express their thoughts, ideas and concerns. People form all over the country, and from all walks of life. People with varying degrees of education, perception and intellect. There is a real good chance that we are not going to agree with some, many or any of them. There's nothing we can or should do about it. You and I don't control this forum. We have input, but no control. People are not going to change or modify their comments (or thinking) to satisfy you and me.

People are going to comment and post on items of interest to them, not us. Remember, it's not about us. The owner and managers (moderators) of this thread encourage everyone to come to the yard and express their thoughts, opinions and concerns. We can't get upset with what they post as long as it's not disrespectful or threatening to anyone, and is done in good taste, and it passes the test. Don't forget the "ignore" button on the top right corner of every thread. If you're not interested in a particular thread, click on that button and it will no longer be displayed on your thread line up. Problem solved. Out of sight, out of mind.

I read a lot more posts than I write. When I come across one that I'm not interested in, I move on. I don't give it a second thought. If someone is "obsessed with the idea that Ionescu is better than Dee, that's not my concern. Nor is it my duty to try and correct them if I think they need to be. I recognize the fact that everyone that comes here has the right to their opinion, even if it doesn't jibe with yours or mine. The older I get, the more apathetic I become. With age comes wisdom, and in some cases tolerance. I'm concerned about things now that I wasn't 20-30 years ago. This Coronavirus has definitely got my attention. :eek:

I can only speak for myself when I say I couldn't care less what others think of Tauarsi or Ionescu. Personally I'm not a fan of "comparisons". Most comparisons are not fair or equal anyway. Different eras, different talent of supporting players around them, different level of competition, different coaches and what the coaches wanted/asked them to do. I know what I think of them. To me, that's all that matters. Remember the comparisons between Dangerfield and Moriah Jefferson during Crystal's freshman year? I was not interested in those comparisons. What difference did it make? Mo was gone. But those comparisons didn't upset me. Now that Crystal has completed her 4 years, one can compare them.........if one must. :rolleyes:

For example, compare Natalie Butler's play when she was at Georgetown (BE freshman of the year) and George Mason versus when she was with UConn. Different levels of competition. She dominated play her senior year at George Mason.

Some folks don't think Breanna Stewart deserves to be on UConn's all time Mount Rushmore. :eek: I do!!

View attachment 52982

Her career stats (#2 on the career scoring list, her 4 NCAA Tourny MVP's, something no other UConn female player has) and her 4 national championships (which none of the other candidates for the mount has) say she does!

Tomorrow is not promised my friend. Let's not concern ourselves with the thoughts and cares of the world, but of the safety and welfare of our family. Let's enjoy the rest of the ride however long it may be, and not worry about the small stuff, i.e., things we can't control. Remember the serenity prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
I live by this.

Another thought I live by is something Clint Eastwood's character once said in one of his "Dirty Harry" movies: "A man has got to know his limitations". Belief and adoption of those two concepts have served me well the last 40 years. Because I take that approach, life is good. :)

I will say this about Ionescu, she's a very talented player that I think will do very well at the next level. The Liberty is one of the four WNBA teams I like and follow. I'm elated she's going to NY. The local fan interest/support should improve (and will if/when they begin to win). I predict she will "quickly" become a leader on that team just like she did at Oregon.

Players will like playing with her. She makes plays and she shares the ball. The fans will love her. She will be a fan favorite!! She likes to interact with them, take pictures and sign autographs. The Liberty are going to sell a lot of her jerseys in the coming months/years.
1,000,000,000 LIKES, one of the best oratorically posts I've seen in my two plus years here on the BY, and very true. Great post Carnac!:)

Reaction Score
If they thought it would help their ratings ESPN would show domestic disturbances. They are, as a group, the most hypocritical group of "talking heads" on television. On one hand they say they abhor violence against women but on the next program they are demeaning women. Today they are castigating coaches or players for their behavior and tomorrow that coach or player is behind a microphone telling you something you have known for the past twenty years. Today they are criticizing the Oklahoma coach Mike Gundy for his stupid remarks about the corona virus. Tomorrow he will be next to a couple of players explaining where you should line up eleven players.

Reaction Score
nwhoops, you and I can't control the thoughts or opinions of others. This is an "open" forum that allows WCBB fans/sports fans to express their thoughts, ideas and concerns. People form all over the country, and from all walks of life. People with varying degrees of education, perception and intellect.

There is a real good chance that we are not going to agree with some, many or any of them. There's nothing we can or should do about it. You and I don't control this forum. We have input, but no control. People are not going to change or modify their comments (or thinking) to satisfy you and me.

People are going to comment and post on items of interest to them, not us. Remember, it's not about us. The owner and managers (moderators) of this thread encourage everyone to come to the yard and express their thoughts, opinions and concerns. We can't get upset with what they post as long as it's not disrespectful or threatening to anyone, and is done in good taste, and it passes the test.

Don't forget the "ignore" button on the top right corner of every thread. If you're not interested in a particular thread, click on that button and it will no longer be displayed on your thread line up. Problem solved. Out of sight, out of mind.

I read a lot more posts than I write. When I come across one that I'm not interested in, I move on. I don't give it a second thought. If someone is "obsessed with the idea that Ionescu is better than Dee, that's not my concern. Nor is it my duty to try and correct them if I think they need to be. I recognize the fact that everyone that comes here has the right to their opinion, even if it doesn't jibe with yours or mine.

The older I get, the more apathetic I become. With age comes wisdom, and in some cases tolerance. I'm concerned about things now that I wasn't 20-30 years ago. This Coronavirus pandemic has definitely got my attention. :eek:

I can only speak for myself when I say I couldn't care less what others think of Tauarsi or Ionescu. Personally I'm not a fan of "comparisons". Most comparisons are not fair or equal anyway. Different eras, different talent of supporting players around them, different level of competition, different coaches and what the coaches wanted/asked them to do. I know what I think of them. To me, that's all that matters.

Remember the comparisons between Dangerfield and Moriah Jefferson during Crystal's freshman year? I was not interested in those comparisons. What difference did it make? Mo was gone. But those comparisons didn't upset me. Now that Crystal has completed her 4 years, one can compare them.........if one must. :rolleyes:

For example, compare Natalie Butler's play when she was at Georgetown (BE freshman of the year) and George Mason versus when she was with UConn. Different levels of competition. She dominated play her senior year at George Mason.

Some folks don't think Breanna Stewart deserves to be on UConn's all time Mount Rushmore. :eek: I do!!

View attachment 52982

Her career stats (#2 on the career scoring list, her 4 NCAA Tourny MVP's, something no other UConn female player has) and her 4 national championships (which none of the other candidates for the mount has) say she does!

Tomorrow is not promised my friend. Many yarders are between the age of 50-80. We know and realize that there are more days behind us than in front of us. Let's not concern ourselves with the thoughts and cares of the world, but of the safety and welfare and love for our family.

Let's enjoy the rest of the ride however long it may be, and not worry about the small stuff, i.e., things we can't control. Remember the serenity prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
I live by this.

Another thought I live by is something Clint Eastwood's character once said in one of his "Dirty Harry" movies: "A man has got to know his limitations". Belief and adoption of those two concepts have served me well the last 40 years. Because I take that approach, life is good. :)

Players will like playing with her. She makes plays and she shares the ball. She’s responsible, dependable and no nonsense. The fans will love her. She will be a fan favorite!! She likes to interact with them, take pictures and sign autographs. The Liberty are going to sell a lot of her jerseys in the coming months/years.
Carnac, as a lover of the English language allow me to express my admiration for the way you utilize the wording.

Reaction Score
For example, compare Natalie Butler's play when she was at Georgetown (BE freshman of the year) and George Mason (I believe she led the nation in rebounds) versus when she was with UConn. Different levels of competition. She dominated play her senior year at George Mason.

Don't forget Natalie led the UCONN team both years she played in rebounds per 40. She just didn't have the minutes to get her stat numbers up. So it was not an anomaly that she not only led the nation her year at George Mason in rebounding, she broke the record and still holds that record today. She also broke Maya Moore's BE freshman rebounding record her freshman year at Georgetown and is currently number 5 on the all time NCAA freshmen list of rebound in a single season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom