XRM | The Boneyard

XRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In home visit that was scheduled for tomorrow will be rescheduled to sometime next week.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Quote on bottom of article

Practice begins in a month and signing day is in a little less than two months. One high school player being recruited by UConn expressed surprise at the move.

"To lose a coach as great as coach Calhoun is really going to impact that program. I know he had health problems, but he was a fighter, so I was surprised (about his retirement)," said Xavier Rathan-Mayes of Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, a 6-4 guard rated No. 25 overall in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com and No. 23 by ESPN.

Rathan-Mayes said he talked with Calhoun regularly during a recruiting period this summer.

"He was always telling me that he lost out on another member of our family (Calhoun had recruited his father, Tharon Mayes, who eventually opted for Florida State) so he wasn't going to lose out on another."

Asked if Calhoun's decision will make a difference on his school choice, he said, "It could make a big difference. I don't know who the next coach will be."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie, XRM. Kevin Ollie is the coach.

Reaction Score
XRM was the same guy who said it would be "special" if Ollie were named head coach and that his getting the job would "definitely impact his decision."

Reaction Score
This is not good considering our in home visit was pushed off to next week.

I know he loves Coach Ollie and I think the staff met with his mother on Monday. I could very well be wrong, but this is the kid I think we will land. Unfortunately if the one year deal bothers him we will have to move on. You can't replace a guy like Jim Calhoun over night, but I'm sold on Kevin O after yesterdays speech.

Reaction Score
don't have a good feeling anymore about landing him

Reaction Score
Quote on bottom of article

Practice begins in a month and signing day is in a little less than two months. One high school player being recruited by UConn expressed surprise at the move.

"To lose a coach as great as coach Calhoun is really going to impact that program. I know he had health problems, but he was a fighter, so I was surprised (about his retirement)," said Xavier Rathan-Mayes of Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, a 6-4 guard rated No. 25 overall in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com and No. 23 by ESPN.

Rathan-Mayes said he talked with Calhoun regularly during a recruiting period this summer.

"He was always telling me that he lost out on another member of our family (Calhoun had recruited his father, Tharon Mayes, who eventually opted for Florida State) so he wasn't going to lose out on another."

Asked if Calhoun's decision will make a difference on his school choice, he said, "It could make a big difference. I don't know who the next coach will be."
This along with him cutting his list to 3 before our rescheduled in-home concerns me as well. I was afraid that the impact of not giving KO at least a 3 year deal could have this type of impact on many of the recrutis. The more I think about this, giving KO just this season might paint a worse future than the prior outlook of possibly JC for 2 more years and his successor still in the balance. At least then the recruits had hope that JC would be around when they arrived next fall. Now they know it won't be JC, but also have no idea if KO will be there either.

Let's hope he doesn't drop us and decides KO is worth taking a chance on. Not to cast a negative shadow, but it's one thing to really like someone, it's another thing to put your future in that person's hands. I hope there's enough plusses with KO to overcome the uncertainty of his future and lack of head coaching experience. I really want to see KO land XRM. Landing him would probably earn KO and UConn consummer confidence with some of the other recruits. If he drops us, the impact could be the opposite.

We're all in uncharted waters now, with JC no longer at the wheel. I find this very interesting to see how things play out this year and beyond. I'm not distaught whatsoever. It's the hand our program has been dealt and we just have to see what happens, though it would be nice if the Univerity recognized this issue and would quickly do whatever it takes to offer KO a multi-year contract ASAP. I wondered if the timing of things didn't give them time to do this and that it's still possible, but I don't think that's the case. Hard to believe they aren't aware that any coach, especially ones at the college ranks where recruiting is their lifeline, that only have the current season left on their contract is usually perceived as a lame duck coach. I realize the situation is different for KO than it is for a coach that is in the last year of their contract, but the message of less than full confidence is hard to ignor.

Reaction Score
I have a good feeling that XRM will be Ollie's first recruit as head coach of the UConn basketball team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I like the fact that he has made UConn's visit next week too. I just don't see how we're not in his top 3.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping all of your optimism is correct, I do not like what I read in the quotes from XRM.......seems to be preparing us!!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm hoping all of your optimism is correct, I do not like what I read in the quotes from XRM.......seems to be preparing us!!!

Don't get me thinking. If we need another player in this class it's XRM. He would look so good in a UConn uni. So good.

Reaction Score
Uconn, FSU and Illinois it is. Let's go KO!!

Reaction Score
FSU clearly has a sentimental edge, but no way coach gets out recruited by that Groce guy from IL

Reaction Score
So basically FSU vs UConn. But then again conjecture has pointed to this for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom