XL Center? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

XL Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Easy answer as to why you go to all the FB games and very few BB games. Attending a football game is much more of an experience than a BB game. Every game means more with the shorter season. It can be an all day thing if you want it to be. And the ticket prices are virtually the same.

I agreed with your response 100%, then I re-read it. Take the ND football game off the table and 9 of my top 10 UConn sport experiences are basketball games. They may not have included tailgating, per se, but back in the day a UConn MBB game was THE experience. We made it an all day thing so it's more of an apples to apples comparison than you think.

A UConn hoops game was a privilege back then. Now it seems we've become a complacent, elitist fan base and I'm guilty as charged. Then again, maybe it's an age thing because my buddies and I went to 15-20 Yankee games a year in the early 90's and had our choice of seats. Then we won in 96'and it became less and less fun to fight the bandwagon fans. I've been to 2 games in the new stadium and neither one made me feel like it used to. We went because we loved the "experience" and not because everyone told us it should be one.

Reaction Score
I have an idea, every time we play at x
xL someone make a thread about how playing on campus is better.

Wait on second thought, STOP!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have an idea, every time we play at x
xL someone make a thread about how playing on campus is better.

Wait on second thought, STOP!

I don't post on the BB boards much so sorry if this post is repetitive. However, it seems like no one really knows the answer.

Do you have an opinion or do you just like to bitch?

Reaction Score
UConn basketball isn't fashionable anymore. It'll take the right mix of players, results and story lines to get the sellout crowds back.

The alternative is marketing, but that is an area the UConn Athletic Department refuses to go.

If it's marketing, then lets take a page out of the Jackie Moon playbook. PP and GDL tag team to wrestle a grizzlie bear after the game. "spomoni!"

Reaction Score
I don't post on the BB boards much so sorry if this post is repetitive. However, it seems like no one really knows the answer.

I have an opinion. The small crowds at XL would be small on campus, funny how people don't bitch after 16k pack XL for a BE game in February rock the place. I have seasons at XL and didn't go tonight because there is a lot going on. Besides the obvious, work is busy for a lot of people this time of year and maybe some people wanted to relax at home rather than being out for three hours at the start of what will be a busy couple weeks for a lot of people.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have an opinion. The small crowds at XL would be small on campus, funny how people don't bitch after 16k pack XL for a BE game in February rock the place. I have seasons at XL and didn't go tonight because there is a lot going on. Besides the obvious, work is busy for a lot of people this time of year and maybe some people wanted to relax at home rather than being out for three hours at the start of what will be a busy couple weeks for a lot of people.

I see a lot of merit in your opinion, thanks for sharing. However, my OP has morphed into the question of why BOTH venues have been empty recently.

Can I ask how old you are? I only ask because you use the argument that no one bitched about a BE sellout back in February. I'm 42yo and my main point is that we wouldn't even be having this conversation 10-20 years ago because we had an entire State that wished they could "rock the place" on any given night. We'd be bitching about a lack of tickets and not a surplus of them.

Reaction Score
Definitely prefer the XL. Have XL season tix. First of all its 1/2 hour closer than Gampel. I attend every weekend game regardless of the opponent. Weekday games require a day off from work due to employer inflexability. So better games take priority. With weaker future conference games these cupcake games will hopefully be upgraded.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I see a lot of merit in your opinion, thanks for sharing. However, my OP has morphed into the question of why BOTH venues have been empty recently.

Can I ask how old you are? I only ask because you use the argument that no one bitched about a BE sellout back in February. I'm 42yo and my main point is that we wouldn't even be having this conversation 10-20 years ago because we had an entire State that wished they could "rock the place" on any given night. We'd be bitching about a lack of tickets and not a surplus of them.

I think there is a pretty simple answer. There is more competition for our time and entertainment dollar in 2012 than there was in 1992 or 2002. High-def TV's with 500 stations, Netflix, social media and video games are just some examples. Attendance is down in college basketball - of course there are some Louisville's and Indiana's - but it's tough to get people most places in the seats without a big matchup.

The perfect example is the NFL and how people consume Red Zone, Fantasy and Gambling versus the past where they were fans of a team. I used to love going to 3-4 Giants games a year. I've been to 1 in the past few seasons - I quite prefer Red Zone and gambling to the sum total of effort it takes to go to New Jersey for a game that may suck.

People have become custom to big events, here and elsewhere. This is why Syracuse at Gample last year had people buying tickets for hundreds but you'd be lucky to scalp the entire XL package for $100 this year.

Last night's UConn game provided zero entertainment value. It was a glorified pick up game. The only reason to attend would be a sense of obligation. In the past I have attended these games for that very reason. Now I have competing obligations, and UMES is just too pointless and boring to worry about. I wouldn't have gone to that game if they paid me $50.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the point. This year, this non-national TV game should not have been scheduled for a Monday night during winter break.

It should have been on Saturday afternoon at the XL or earlier at Gampel prior to finals.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Yes, move all the games to Gampel. Sure it only costs you a lot of the money that people donate for XL seats, you can sell many fewer tickets and it cuts off the program from the population base. But 5k at Gampel is so much better than 8k at the XL Center for Maryland Eastern Shore.

These games are garbage - there is too much competition for people's attention to think you can get people to pay to watch Maryland Eastern Shore play basketball. This game is terrible.
I have been saying this for years. Until the Civic Center/XL Center has it's roof fall in again, Uconn is going to be cursed with playing games there. Deal with it. There is no way............................NO WAY, it is ever going to change. The excuses about the economy, the shootings, the weather all are secondary. Playing in the Hellhole that is Hartford is a main reason. Yes, all the games should be moved to Gampel. However, that is never going to happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know most of you complaining about the XL Center v. Gampel don't go to games and don't know what you are talking about. This issue isn't about the location of games. The Stony Brook game was played the day after Thanksgiving and was totally dead. There were Stony Brook fans sitting in the UConn student section. I never saw that before. Anyone thinks last night's game would have better in Storrs with the students gone for the semester break is crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The answer is money. The revenues are much higher playing a split schedule. They are so much higher that it's ridiculous to even talk about not playing in Hartford.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think there is a pretty simple answer. There is more competition for our time and entertainment dollar in 2012 than there was in 1992 or 2002. High-def TV's with 500 stations, Netflix, social media and video games are just some examples. Attendance is down in college basketball - of course there are some Louisville's and Indiana's - but it's tough to get people most places in the seats without a big matchup.

The perfect example is the NFL and how people consume Red Zone, Fantasy and Gambling versus the past where they were fans of a team. I used to love going to 3-4 Giants games a year. I've been to 1 in the past few seasons - I quite prefer Red Zone and gambling to the sum total of effort it takes to go to New Jersey for a game that may suck.

People have become custom to big events, here and elsewhere. This is why Syracuse at Gample last year had people buying tickets for hundreds but you'd be lucky to scalp the entire XL package for $100 this year.

Last night's UConn game provided zero entertainment value. It was a glorified pick up game. The only reason to attend would be a sense of obligation. In the past I have attended these games for that very reason. Now I have competing obligations, and UMES is just too pointless and boring to worry about. I wouldn't have gone to that game if they paid me $50.

You've discussed the concepts competition for fans attention and alternative ways of viewing the same venue which are easier and in many ways more comfortable to view games as reasons for drops in attendance. This is a really well thought out an in depth post! A lot of this has merit imo.

There are a couple of other points I would like to offer. One is saturation based on the biological concept of accommodation (reduced awareness of a stimuli). At some point the excitement level gets reduced when things are overexposed. If someone has the opportunity to eat hamburgers every day, ultimately most people take the hamburger for granted, and will consume the meat without paying much attention to it. But the first few times they tasted it, it occupied their awareness strongly. Take the same individual that has become accommodated to the experience, put him in an environment where hamburgers are not readily available, reintroduce him back to his original environment, and that individual will desire the hamburger once again, experiencing it in the same pleasurable manner that occurred when he was first introduced to the hamburger.

People are overexposed to sports. So the degree of pleasure, excitement, newness gets reduced with ever larger number of events. This is part of the process. But not everyone watches a wide body of sports or even a wide selection within one sport. If people isolate themselves to one team, and that team is successful over long periods of time, the luster wears off with each successful event. Certainly people prefer winning to losing. But accommodation kicks in. That is part of the process that has occurred with UConn bb. Only the most exciting venues are able to bring fans to personally view games. The weaker match ups are the quickest to become accommodated.

One other factor that is important. There is a bell shaped curve regarding accommodation and that bell shaped curve will be different for each one of us depending on the stimuli we are discussing. Certain people will never get tired of hamburger. They will eat it with the same passion whether it is their first or their 1000th. This group is smaller in numbers but it exists. The same applies for fans of a particular sport. These are your rabid fans. They are a subsegment of your entire population of fans. They are the fans who will go to see a Cubs game even though it is overcast and drizzling. They will get seasons tickets to Whalers games even though they are likely to be in the bottom of the league.

They are the heart and soul of every team. It is my contention that the policy of increasing the $$ amounts to gain access to better seats, helped the university revenue stream at the expense of pushing the rabid fan out of the arenas and into their homes. It was a trade off with short term economic benefits at the expense of keeping arenas well attended. We are seeing the effects of that policy. Attendance at arenas is very important to create an atmosphere of excitement which has the advantage of giving teams a home field advantage and attracting better players to want to play for that team. Certainly the attendance would decrease anyways because of the points you made and the affect accommodation has on attendance. But imo, the UConn leaders accelerated the problem with this policy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... These are your rabid fans. They are a subsegment of your entire population of fans. They are the fans who will go to see a Cubs game even though it is overcast and drizzling. They will get seasons tickets to Whalers games even though they are likely to be in the bottom of the league.

They are the heart and soul of every team. It is my contention that the policy of increasing the $$ amounts to gain access to better seats, helped the university revenue stream at the expense of pushing the rabid fan out of the arenas and into their homes. .... But imo, the UConn leaders accelerated the problem with this policy.

No doubt this has happened. There still is a large fanbase, didn't we just read an article about SNY ratings going up? A big chunk of rabid fans still exist that go to games. You see them in Gampel in the 200 level side without the chairbacks and at the XL in the 200 level. During non-prime games, those sections always have the highest density. But huge numbers of longtime fans stopped going to games when they kept getting pushed into higher seats and the AD wouldn't return their calls. I don't think these guys are ever coming back.

The question is, what do you do now to fill the building?

Reaction Score
It would be nice if our "rock star" AD did something to market these games.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if our "rock star" AD did something to market these games.

Tickets aren't readily available. People just aren't going. I'm in Buffalo and will be going with family to the Washington game at the XL, but when I looked at ticket availability, there was very little out there. Same for UMES. We had to buy tix in the aftermarket.

So, I'm not sure what marketing would do since the tickets are sold. Maybe a campaign that says, "You bought the tix, now get your butts in the seats, OR ELSE!!"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No doubt this has happened. There still is a large fanbase, didn't we just read an article about SNY ratings going up? A big chunk of rabid fans still exist that go to games. You see them in Gampel in the 200 level side without the chairbacks and at the XL in the 200 level. During non-prime games, those sections always have the highest density. But huge numbers of longtime fans stopped going to games when they kept getting pushed into higher seats and the AD wouldn't return their calls. I don't think these guys are ever coming back.

The question is, what do you do now to fill the building?
Modify the policy a little at a time. You still need the revenue stream, now more than ever with the predicament UConn is in from CR, but the school has to reintroduce a rabid fan base back to the arenas.

One idea might be to take sections of all the venues (XL, Gampel and Rentschler Field) at the lower level and offer it to either UConn students or high school students. Start with 5 or 10% and work it up over the years until it is a blend of the two models. I'm an old dude. I still have lots of passion. But it is no wheres near the level I had when I was younger. I wish I did, but the reality is we are more passionate, for good and bad, when we are younger. So that is why I would like to introduce these lower levels to younger people.

Furthermore they will be your future fan base. The passion goes well into our forties for males. If anyone watches the SEC football games you will notice that most of the fans at the stadium are thirty or younger. USC has large numbers of alumni living and working in and around Columbia. These people go to games partially because they graduated from the school, but also because it is a community event. Everyone helps each other get excited to attend.

Introducing high school kids to UConn games begins the process of generating regional excitement starting at an early age. I read threads like the Yankee Conference thread started by mau, which you were a major contributor, and I recognize the beauty of being introduced to the sport at a young age. I didn't have the opportunity. My exposure was limited. I can only imagine how much my interest towards UConn would have been if the opportunity was available.

UConn could set up a lottery system for all the high schools in CT, perhaps southern Mass, RI, and Eastern NY, offering the school free tickets for their high school seniors if the schools are interested in taking the effort to transport the kids to the venues. Maybe the schools use the opportunity to get kids motivated to do better in class. Anyways some schools will be unable to attend or believe it is inappropriate. There are enough schools that will accept. And the buzz will begin. Initially the numbers of loyal fans coming from this group will be small. Lots of kids will go just to do something new. And one time events do not provide the loyalty that repeated exposure creates. But kids will talk with one another about the experience and they will view UConn favorably for the opportunity it provided them to have the unique experience. And that will generate more in depth attention to the events over time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tickets aren't readily available. People just aren't going. I'm in Buffalo and will be going with family to the Washington game at the XL, but when I looked at ticket availability, there was very little out there. Same for UMES. We had to buy tix in the aftermarket.

So, I'm not sure what marketing would do since the tickets are sold. Maybe a campaign that says, "You bought the tix, now get your butts in the seats, OR ELSE!!"

A building that seats 16,000 had 8,800 tickets distributed for UMES and your contention is there was little ticket availability. There was a single person who wanted to go to the UMES game but couldn't get a ticket? This is what you think?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For Washington I just punched in 8 tickets and they came together for $15 a head on ticketmaster. Where does this insanity come from?

Fordham the entire row of 215 T is available for $15.

Yep so little availability.

Reaction Score
A building that seats 16,000 had 8,800 tickets distributed for UMES and your contention is there was little ticket availability. There was a single person who wanted to go to the UMES game but couldn't get a ticket? This is what you think?

I went through Ticketmaster. I asked for best tickets. The best seats available were on upper rows in upper levels behind the basket. That tells me the arena is nearly full. Unless by your warped imagination you think these are good seats. When the worst seats are the best available, the place is typically near a sell out. This is obvious to anyone that doesn't want to twist things like you do.

Reaction Score
Don't know how you got 215s, I just went back and tried for seats again. It sent me to 232. Unless Ticketmaster assumes that upper level everywhere is equal, the 215s should be considered better and more valuable than the 232s.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I went through Ticketmaster. I asked for best tickets. The best seats available were on upper rows in upper levels behind the basket. That tells me the arena is nearly full. Unless by your warped imagination you think these are good seats. When the worst seats are the best available, the place is typically near a sell out. This is obvious to anyone that doesn't want to twist things like you do.

It might be. They are also holding seats to sell in packages that are unsold as of yet. High attendance requires people to sit in non-premium seats you know - your post talks about ticket availability, not the quality of tickets available.

Am I twisting your mention of UMES ticket availability since that is the game we are discussing?

I'll give you credit, didn't think you could come up with something that tops your usual stuff. - the idea that attendance is low because tickets aren't available is going to be tough for you to beat. They barely distributed tickets for half the building last night but tickets are unavailable. Ha.

Reaction Score
It might be. They are also holding seats to sell in packages that are unsold as of yet. High attendance requires people to sit in non-premium seats you know - your post talks about ticket availability, not the quality of tickets available.

Am I twisting your mention of UMES ticket availability since that is the game we are discussing?

I'll give you credit, didn't think you could come up with something that tops your usual stuff. - the idea that attendance is low because tickets aren't available is going to be tough for you to beat. They barely distributed tickets for half the building last night but tickets are unavailable. Ha.

Has it ever occurred to you that this could all be up to differences with Ticketmaster? As usual, you're one of the worst posters on the board. If I acted like you, I'd be saying something like, "You lied about tix available in 215! You're a liar, you're making it up." And the support would be on my side because my experience is reproducible (i.e. section 232 as the best available) while yours isn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Has it ever occurred to you that this could all be up to differences with Ticketmaster? As usual, you're one of the worst posters on the board. If I acted like you, I'd be saying something like, "You lied about tix available in 215! You're a liar, you're making it up." And the support would be on my side because my experience is reproducible (i.e. section 232 as the best available) while yours isn't.

I think it's just you can't read. It's Fordham where 215 is available not Washington.

I never said anything great is available for Washington - your original post on the matter said tickets aren't available and you had to go to the secondary market. Other than the fact that is 100% wrong knock yourself out.

Are you standing by the fact that the UMES attendance was low because tickets aren't available or are you stepping back from that gem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom