XL Center renovation | Page 10 | The Boneyard

XL Center renovation

Reaction Score
I stand corrected and amend my statement. Anyone who has attended games in the same season against comparable opponents since 2003 would say Gampel has a better game day atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, the Civic Center had some amazing crowds, and at the absolute peak it might have beaten Gampel in a few isolated instances. I theorize, though, that this was the case simply because we had more rowdy fans than Gampel could hold. Therefore, of course Hartford was more raucous given the larger capacity. Sadly, it has been a long time since we had enough passionate fans to fill Gampel, let alone Hartford.
We sucked the last few years. College attendance is down all over in recent years but we sellout when we play someone good. CT. fans are fairweather like many fans, if the team is good they will play to sellouts.

Reaction Score
Looking at places like Wintrust Arena and Peterson Events Center. They could probably build a brand new facility in Hartford for under $250 million if they don't include hockey. Maybe it makes sense to build smaller specialized buildings rather than a large civic center.

Why not build a new arena next to the Rent in East Hartford?

Reaction Score
XL Center as a fan experience is a train wreck. Went there again for Raw. Bathrooms smelled. The seats are old, Not enough room.

everything from parking, to entrance, to food is awful. It hasn’t changed since 1989. Still the same stale experience.

That said. Covering the team, when the xl center is sold out, it is an absolute electric atmosphere. It is a big building though and has to be sold out.

As far as gampel? Bleachers are terrible.
The seats at the XL Center are actually not that old. They are not original to the arena since they replaced the old red seats with the blue seats they have now around 2000? Yes, that was about 20 years ago now, but the seats at the XL are probably the least of its issues.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've probably been to around 60-70 arenas. It's the worst out of them all.
It's better than Worcester and Albany. Those are the only two I've been to recently. When you keep lying it hurts your case.

Reaction Score
Gampel does not have better seat room than the XL and the XL is not the worst place in the 70 he's visited.
I've probably been to around 60-70 arenas. It's the worst out of them all.
It's better than Worcester and Albany. Those are the only two I've been to recently. When you keep lying it hurts your case.
In the post you replied to he didn't say anything about seat room at Gampel v. XL Center and didn't say anything about any arenas in Albany or Worcester.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the post you replied to he didn't say anything about seat room at Gampel v. XL Center and didn't say anything about any arenas in Albany or Worcester.
I was talking about a body of work in the entire debate. But I admit my credibility is damaged with my new XL seat research.

Reaction Score
Truthfully I’m more familiar with NCAA stdiums from going to bowl games. The worst one was l3gion Field in. Birmingham. It is disgusting but they call the stadium “historic”. So antiquated.
The Michigan Stadium was next on my disgusting list, even though they just renovated it, ie made the bench seats smaller to get more people in and put a new brick facade on in one area, which they seemed so p4oud of. WOW,
Charlotte Stadium and Phoenix were ok.,the nicest was the stadium in Toronto. Don’t bother giving me a hard time about knowing the names of the stadiums cause I don’t care.

I have only been to bb games in Ct. Mohegan Sun both are great. E joyed them.

C

Chief00

It’s a poorly run building and this idea to overlay premium seating over your one major tenant already charging seat donations is just plain silly. It exhibits a total lack of coordination and professionalism. Until the political hacks at CRDA get shown the door things won’t improve.

Reaction Score
Gampel really isn't that much better than xl overall. I think the gampel purists are missing this point. About half the seats in gampel are great, the other half suck. The bathroom situation at a big game is comparable in both venues. IMO, both venues have major issues with them. I love the gampel atmosphere narrative in 2020. Gampel has had some of the worst crowds in recent memory. The glory days for both buildings are gone. Both need major improvements.

Reaction Score
Gampel really isn't that much better than xl overall. I think the gampel purists are missing this point. About half the seats in gampel are great, the other half suck. The bathroom situation at a big game is comparable in both venues. IMO, both venues have major issues with them. I love the gampel atmosphere narrative in 2020. Gampel has had some of the worst crowds in recent memory. The glory days for both buildings are gone. Both need major improvements.

The crowds have been bad because the games have been bad. When the games are good (Florida) or even average (Witchita State last year) the crwods have been good.

Gampel has nothing in terms of amenities or bells and whistles but it is on campus, its built for basketball, and it captures a big part of what makes college basketball great with a big student section right on top of the court. If you're looking to take you're family, get food for everyone, and have lots of stuff to do besides the game Gampel isn't very good. If you are looking to simply watch a big game that you care about it is awesome

Reaction Score
Then don't sit on the bleachers. They have do have chairback seats at Gampel that have more leg room and wider than Hartford.
I stand virtually all day with one of those varidesk things rather than sit and kill my back. Always struck me strange that people would rather sit at basketball games than stand and cheer.

Reaction Score
I don't get the on campus argument. Once inside the arena, you can't see the campus. You sit (or stand) in/by your seat and watch the game. There are so many needy people that can't just enjoy a game.

Reaction Score
So here's the ugliest college arena around. It's concrete and metal, and you can see where the bleachers are from the outside. To me it seems they should be able to renovate the place for far less $$$ than everyone throws around. If they can't make it happen, abandon it and play on campus until a better solution is forthcoming.

1577917774062.png

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've been to a number of arenas and the XL center is the worse, period. The parking is terrible, the seats are below average and the site lines unless your in the lower bowl are terrible.

Reaction Score
Gampel is not all bleachers. Just saying.
True but one whole side is. I like my seats at XL in the 200s. It’s more about the on court product. I used to try to get to Gampel once a year but it’s just not worth it right now. I look forward to every game but it’s not fun getting blown out. Next year will be even tougher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom