Xavier | The Boneyard

Xavier

Reaction Score
Don’t know much about them this year. Hopefully we can sort of scout them in this thread

Reaction Score
They play great defense in your face. Every movement is contested. I feel confident in our defense against them, but it will be a real test for our offense. If we play like tonight, eliminate the 4-5 careless fumble turnovers we had, and hit our free throws, I like our chances. Carlton will have a similar player to match up with, (Tyrique Jones from Bloomfield), and I think that works to our advantage. The quick turnaround will test whether we can get ready for such an opponent fast.

Reaction Score
Watched about 10min of the 2nd half vs Towson. Really good ball movement, defense looked active. Will be a tough game but a great win for us if we can find a way

Reaction Score
They are a very physical team. Grown men and Scruggs can get a bucket when they need one. They shoot very well from perimeter so the safe close out defense we played tonight will be needed.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Don’t know much about them this year. Hopefully we can sort of scout them in this thread

My quick impression is that they are a clone of Buffalo with a lot more fans (probably more fans in numbers than we had).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

watched 3/4 of their game in the arena. They are fundamentally very solid. Deep team with some strong guys and good shooters. Marshall #13 looks like a future star. Very slight but long, athletic, good ball handling and very high BBIQ. Plays like a tall PG.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They should control this game and handle us pretty easily. Hopefully we can make it sloppy as I think that plays to our favor.

post/avatar

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This is going to be a tough one. Tougher than Florida. Which doesn’t bode well. We need The freshmen to play outstanding again to have any shot.

Reaction Score
They shoot very well from perimeter so the safe close out defense we played tonight will be needed.

This is not true. We've been an awful shooting team so far. We were shooting 20% from three coming into today's game.

We have a starting lineup of great athletes that play spectacular defense, but on the flip side, they can't shoot. That's resulted in a lot of rock fights so far this year. We're integrating 7 new guys, 5 freshmen and 2 grad transfers. Our highest ranked freshman is hurt and he's probably our best scorer, which hasn't helped. We've had some problems with decision making and taking care of the ball. I expect this to be a battle. The game against Towson is the best we've played all year.

Reaction Score
It looks like their starters are all 6'4"-6'9" and strong. Ty Jones is a 6'9" Sr forward from Bloomfield who looks like their main rebounder along with Naji Marshall, a 6'7" F. Jones is averaging 14 pts/gm so far and hasn't taken a 3, so inside presence. Marshall has gunned up 24 3's so far but only hit 4, so he'll go like 6 for 7 against us. He leads them in scoring so far at 15/gm. Jason Carter is a 6'8" JR forward who starts and does a bit of everything. Paul Scruggs is a 6'4" JR guard. I'd guess he's a 2, but not sure. He's their main perimeter threat based on stats thus far. Small sample, but he's also not hitting 3's well, so he must be scoring on drives, but he barely gets to the line.

They play 3 F, 2 G. It looks like a serious change from Buffalo in that Buffalo was small and quick. Xavier is probably going to stress our bigs more on D. Marshall may be a tough assignment for Akok. AG was going to have a tough time checking their big guards.

Reaction Score
They should control this game and handle us pretty easily. Hopefully we can make it sloppy as I think that plays to our favor.

They are coming off a 3 point win at home vs Missouri State and an OT win at home vs Mizzou where they needed to rally to force OT.

They are strong defensively and athletic but they don't shoot the ball particularly well from outside. They are kinda similar to Florida.

Reaction Score
This is not true. We've been an awful shooting team so far. We were shooting 20% from three coming into today's game.

We have a starting lineup of great athletes that play spectacular defense, but on the flip side, they can't shoot. That's resulted in a lot of rock fights so far this year. We're integrating 7 new guys, 5 freshmen and 2 grad transfers. Our highest ranked freshman is hurt and he's probably our best scorer, which hasn't helped. We've had some problems with decision making and taking care of the ball. I expect this to be a battle. The game against Towson is the best we've played all year.

Thank you for the insight. Will be a fun one and can't wait for the Big East next year.

20% from 3? And yet 2 posters above called them a good shooting team? Talk about a bad scout.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the insight. Will be a fun one and can't wait for the Big East next year.

20% from 3? And yet 2 posters above called them a good shooting team? Talk about a bad scout.
ha, yea. that is the last thing i would say to describe how we've played so far. we're great from inside the arc. jones, freemantle, scruggs, and marshall are all great around the rim and in the lane, but, so far, we couldn't hit water from a boat from 3.

i will say, if that comes around at all like it did tonight against towson, we can be really, really good

Reaction Score
There is no evidence that Xavier will be tougher than Florida. Not saying we win but the defeatism after 2 promising wins is just...bizarre.

ehhhh florida nearly lost to towson, who we just beat like a drum. mizzou is a good team with a top ten defense and missouri state should win the valley this year. they nearly beat miami today. we've been underwhelming, but not as much as florida

Reaction Score
Xavier is a mentally tough team, no doubt about it.
x-men-animated-series-season-5-14-graduation-day-professor-x-xavier.jpg

Reaction Score
I've seen plenty of them.

They're a really, really, really, really bad matchup for us. Unspectacular, but fundamentally sound on offense. Defensively they're high pressure, in your face. They're not going to gift us points like Florida did. And they do a great job of taking care of the ball. We've gotta be on from the off or it's gonna be a long night.

Super encouraged by the last two games, we just match up like crap against these guys. We pull off a win here it'll be a really big win.

Reaction Score
There is no evidence that Xavier will be tougher than Florida. Not saying we win but the defeatism after 2 promising wins is just...bizarre.

They're higher in the polls, computer rankings, are undefeated instead of having had lost at home already, beat their common opponent by a lot more, and the game is neutral instead of home.

But other than that, sure.

Reaction Score
Not a great shooting team but has a good D that’s all I know. Took Missouri to OT

Reaction Score
Not sure what tonite’s outcome will be but after the last two games as a fan it’s great to not have to wait to see them play again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom