Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno's offensive scheme requires a LOT of moving, precision, shooting accuracy. It works well when you have the talent and they are reasonably healthy and rested. However, you are seeing the "dark side" of using this scheme. It breaks down badly when players are tired, hurt, not focused, have to play physical, and have players playing who shouldnt be... Unfort., the offensive woes of the last 6 weeks is starting to seep into our defense, which has left perimeter shooters open, getting consistently beat 1-on-1, etc.

I think Geno has big decisions to make going forward. Does he simplify the offensive scheme given the move towards more physical play in wcbb. Does he recruit different types of players.
You know that, other than Aaliyah and Lou, Geno is playing players that had been expected to come off the bench, right?

I makes me crazy that we raved over our fabulous players until they wore down at the end of the season. Now Geno needs to recruit better players? :mad:

Reaction Score
Well said, and I agree on all points. I know some might not want to see what many of our eyes see, or write what we really, really feel. Long time fans (and yes, we are fanatics) who partake in the Boneyard are quite knowledgeable and have a very good handle of the women's game in general. The Huskies have had an unprecedented long time run at a level maybe never seen again, but I believe there is more than a grain of truth in what @CONNCAN has to say. I am not giving up on this team, and I'm confident most are not. Get healthy, get Azzi, and as the Beatles tell you "Get Together", and this team has a shot!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the distress over lost chemistry vs Xavier overlooks the fact that Dorka was off the court, with only one day for the team to adjust after a road game. Caroline's still working her way back in, not yet in her "game" condition. As the team has worn down over a short-handed season and other teams have become rougher, injuries have increased. Hopefully, a little rest before the BE tournament and the possible return of a solid player (albeit for short stints) will give us back the game we're used to watching.

Reaction Score
Reserves (and some deep reserves) are playing major minutes and it shows after a long season. The combinations used today were a bit bizarre but maybe that is all GA had with the injuries.

For example, if PB, CD and Azzi were healthy, where do the 40 minutes each to NM, Lou and AG go? They all play much less and possibly in the biggest games, PB and Azzi are playing close to 40 minutes. Then we can spot play some others, even for longer stretches and wear teams down. We could even go three guards with NM, PB and Azzi for stretches. Now we are the ones wearing down. We didn't even have Dorka this game, so no big man in the high post to make passes inside. AE tried and she is a really good player, but her passing skills are pretty poor. Players playing out of position in this game as well.

Anyway, we won and despite what GA said (he is using his motivation by defamation technique again), I am very confident we play 3 games in the tourney and also that we take it all, but the third game could be one too many. But we will be there.

sun

Reaction Score
Besides a few shots by Edwards from inside of the arc, I still don't see much of any mid-range game.
Geno said that sometimes the team won't listen to him and IDK what that's about.
It's great that they all want to drive to the basket now, but every BB player should be able to make a mid-range shot when driving in for a layup isn't the best option.
Luckily UConn was able to make enough 3's to win.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The second season will start on Saturday. We will have our rest. We will have Caroline and Azzi back and most likely coming off the bench. How many teams would like Caroline and Azzi coming off the bench????? We gonna be a different team with rest, time to regroup, and two more prolific scorers. Do you think we will have a problem scoring over 70pts???? I dont. With 4 days at home gives us time to rest, and rest our minds. It gives us time to get back on track. We havent had this in over 2 months. We're gonna have to work hard over the next couple of days to get our game back to where it was and we will because Caroline and Azzi will be back. Maybe with limited minutes and thats fine. Just their presence on the floor will make a huge difference and you wont have to tell them to shoot the ball. They both can create their own shot and will look to do that. Stop looking in the rear view mirror at what has happened in the past. We will be rested and a deeper team. The chemistry, continuity, and confidence will be back and joined with the grit and fire that got us here.

Reaction Score
would be an interesting exercise for someone with way way too much time on their hands to go through the top 25 and list the injuries for each, maybe in terms of both games lost and number of players. Would this exist already somewhere?
I did a quick summary of the top dozen or so in a post a week or so ago. Notre Dame has lost one player for the rest of the season with Miles' status unknown. Indiana lost Berger for eight games. One other team I failed to note had one regular player out for three games. No one else had any regular players (starters or bench logging lots of minutes) miss more than 2 games. It's hard to be sure with some teams whether bench players missed games or just didn't get put in a game. The team by team stats also don't list anyone lost before the season started (like Bueckers or Brady).

Connecticut is now up to 47 games missed by their core seven (discounting Bueckers and Brady). Notre Dame is at 15 and counting. No one else I checked was in double figures. Oklahoma is at zero for their top eight players in minutes and has not changed their starting lineup since the season started.

Reaction Score
I did a quick summary of the top dozen or so in a post a week or so ago. Notre Dame has lost one player for the rest of the season with Miles' status unknown. Indiana lost Berger for eight games. One other team I failed to note had one regular player out for three games. No one else had any regular players (starters or bench logging lots of minutes) miss more than 2 games. It's hard to be sure with some teams whether bench players missed games or just didn't get put in a game. The team by team stats also don't list anyone lost before the season started (like Bueckers or Brady).

Connecticut is now up to 47 games missed by their core seven (discounting Bueckers and Brady). Notre Dame is at 15 and counting. No one else I checked was in double figures. Oklahoma is at zero for their top eight players in minutes and has not changed their starting lineup since the season started.
thanks

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You know that, other than Aaliyah and Lou, Geno is playing players that had been expected to come off the bench, right?

I makes me crazy that we raved over our fabulous players until they wore down at the end of the season. Now Geno needs to recruit better players? :mad:
It's always really, really great to hear your voice of reason here!!!

Reaction Score
But isn't it hard to coach better when half the players (possibly more) are suffering from injuries?
As Geno said, when Lou (or any of the better players) is making her shots, it covers up many of the issues. Coaches earn their money when things are not perfect but they still manage the team to a win.

Reaction Score
Geno's offensive scheme requires a LOT of moving, precision, shooting accuracy. It works well when you have the talent and they are reasonably healthy and rested. However, you are seeing the "dark side" of using this scheme. It breaks down badly when players are tired, hurt, not focused, have to play physical, and have players playing who shouldnt be... Unfort., the offensive woes of the last 6 weeks is starting to seep into our defense, which has left perimeter shooters open, getting consistently beat 1-on-1, etc.

I think Geno has big decisions to make going forward. Does he simplify the offensive scheme given the move towards more physical play in wcbb. Does he recruit different types of players.
Not sure I understand your point(s). Next year, and for several years after, UConn will have one of the fastest, better passing teams in school history. While I would gladly take another big in the Edwards or Dolson mode, it will be difficult for other teams to catch up with them, much less get physical.

Reaction Score
I just watched a replay of the game. I had read the comments in this thread before I actually saw the game and I was expecting to be really disappointed in the game. I actually thought the team did really well for much of the game. I saw that Xavier worked really hard and did not play like a team without a win in the conference. I disagree with the point of view that the team is in disarray and is disappointing. I saw a UCONN team that played well in the first quarter until Edwards went out with her second foul. They were already trying to adapt to yet another injury to the starters. Then, Aubrey hurt her wrist. Then Edwards banged knees. Then Lou lost her temper and sat on the bench for awhile. Then Aubrey was out with her elbow being taped. Then Muhl was hit in the face, I believe, by a teammate. Lots of different lineups to adjust to. Great UCONN teams of the past could play great defense and offense, because they knew what each player would do during each play. I was reminded of how UCONN only defeated Tulane by two points in the 101st game of the 111 game win streak after Kia Nurse couldn't play due to a sprained ankle. This current team can't be sure who is playing at any time.

So I think this group of women deserve our praise and respect for playing really good basketball through a very difficult and challenging season. I hope they can play well in both the coming tournaments.

Reaction Score
All of this seems like trying to explain a poem, or the feeling you get when you hold a newborn, or when you see the rain slowly come toward you across a field, or when you take the car out for the first time by yourself, or when they hand you the diploma, or when the results come back and you're in remission.
Sometimes explanations don't add anything.

Reaction Score
Lol he does act like an entitled fan sometimes There is some truth to the post. I over-analyze all of the time but when he was screaming at Caroline after a timeout sometime in the second half I was thinking….Did you forget who you are screaming at and what her experience has been like for the past 2seasons? The missed practice time, the rehab, the pain and sacrifice, and the risk coming back again this year. Seemed like bad timing to me.

Reaction Score
Lol he does act like an entitled fan sometimes There is some truth to the post. I over-analyze all of the time but when he was screaming at Caroline after a timeout sometime in the second half I was thinking….Did you forget who you are screaming at and what her experience has been like for the past 2seasons? The missed practice time, the rehab, the pain and sacrifice, and the risk coming back again this year. Seemed like bad timing to me.
I too was screaming at CD at home for some egregious defensive lapses. I’m not sure while why you thin Ducharme should be treated with kid gloves. She came back because she wants to and loves playing basketball- it’s doesn’t exempt her from criticism for the rest of the season? What a strange notion.

Reaction Score
Congrats on the regular season title.
That one hurt the eyes.
Hope Dorka will be ok.
Our bench looks totally lost out there.
Of course they do. They don't see enough of it to acclimate themselves.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Geno has screamed at players who were legends. Diana, Jennifer, Rebecca, and more than you and I can count. The only thing that has changed for Geno is that he is basically playing a starting team with two or three players who would normally be sitting on the bench. I can guarantee you that if South Carolina were playing without Boston and two other starters that they would not be undefeated. To quote the old adage, "How quickly people forger."

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
"Teams are catching UCONN with bad D switching or no communication on the switch."
Sad to say, that's too true, and it costs us dearly.

Reaction Score
Watched the game again, that that old saying, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of very good" applies. UConn in the 1st and 3rd quarters had double digit leads that were expanding before putting in subs. While lead vanished quickly, you never got the idea that UConn was not in control.

Reaction Score
About that technical foul . . .

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the entire game yet, but I did watch the 3rd Q sequence surrounding the technical. The announcers seemed totally clueless as to what was happening, even after watching the replay. After the refs huddled to watch the replay, and called an offensive PF on the Xavier player and the tech on Lou, the announcers were still in the dark, thinking that Lou had been whistled for being too physical in retaliation, which was not the case. I think the tech was for what Lou SAID, not DID. (She was actually whistled after she pointed at the Xavier player in a threatening way.) But that was never explained . . . at least not during that sequence. At one point, after the refs made their decision, one of them apparently came across the floor to the announcers' table (there was no camera on them, but we could hear the ref's voice, so he was evidently explaining their decision to the broadcasters). But the explanation was only in broad terms, i.e., personal foul (still non-shooting) on the Xavier player, and the technical on Lou, but THERE WAS NEVER ANY EXPLANATION OF WHY THE TECH WAS CALLED.

Here's my problem. Broadcast announcers rarely get a chance to converse with officials during a game. But here was one of those rare exceptions -- the ref had come across the floor to the table specifically to explain their decision. These announcers are (or should be) trained as reporters, and it should have been incumbent on them, at that moment, to ask the ref the reason for the technical foul, so they could explain it to their listening audience. They missed that golden opportunity, and so it probably wasn't until the game was over that we realized Lou was whistled for foul language.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom