Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
There are 10 scholarship players who need minutes. Don’t hold your breath waiting for her to play the rest of the season. Saylor is getting her minutes.
This is the standard BY answer to why Geno doesn’t put someone in with a huge lead along with the walk on knew what she was getting into. I was not implying that minutes should be taken from Saylor, Plath or Mir. I doubt that the last minute or two of the game was that instrumental to Nika’s development that Autumn couldn’t have taken her place.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika didn’t hide how pissed she was that an Xavier player tried to harass her when she was just trying to dribble out. You know where you are with this girl. She brings an energy to the game as injured Anna’s replacement even if she lacks Anna’s judgment and shooting. If Anna heals, the two could really complement each other.
Nika was on the phone with the league after the game complaining. Still has to learn that she is allowed to take shots other than 3s. Great presence.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

-the most significant play of the game for me was Olivia driving to the basket from the outside...wonderful.
Stewie was incomparable at that...I always wanted Kiah to develop that; never did.
If Olivia and Aaliyah put that regularly into their rep, the will be unstoppable.

-Consider...a big, early problem was that Olivia, Aaliyah, and Nika all were regularly in foul trouble...no more

-A few times, maybe more than a few...one extra pass; still pretty effective.

-QB Bueckers to wide receiver Williams for two TD's the 2nd in the face of good D......maybe these guys are playing the wrong game.

- Aaliyah has a wonderful sense of timing in rolling in

-I thought for the first 5 or 10 minutes, that was the best Olivia played all season: passing, rebounding, shootingshots she could make and defending w/o fouling.

- Williams is finally playing consistent, winning BB on both sides of the floor.

- And lets not forget Mamma and Nika...not enough scoring but all other aspects...wowsa

PS: one further observation...If you have a physical problem like a bad knee or a turned ankle, it effects your timing and the manner in which you shoot...It was great to have Paige back in the game, but her 2nd half accuracy was lessened...and for a few weeks now, E has not shot particularly well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Got to wonder when you have the Xavier team having problems all year with Covid, why in h___ they open their arena to fans and cheerleaders.

Nice they kept rotating balls when they came into contact with fans, but the refs handled the 'contaminated ball and the new ball so if there was any virus on one ball the ref immediately transferred it to the new ball - oops!

Sorry, but I worry about our team and while they can control their own environment, they depend on others when they are on the road.

Reaction Score
This is the standard BY answer to why Geno doesn’t put someone in with a huge lead along with the walk on knew what she was getting into. I was not implying that minutes should be taken from Saylor, Plath or Mir. I doubt that the last minute or two of the game was that instrumental to Nika’s development that Autumn couldn’t have taken her place.
That may be so, but who would you like to have the ball in the last few seconds when the defender is harassing the point guard?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nika was on the phone with the league after the game complaining. Still has to learn that she is allowed to take shots other than 3s. Great presence.
After the game, Geno said he was impressed with Nika's ball handling when that girl was harassing her. Geno said Nika got a "little pissy" about it. I would not want Nika angry with me! There is no telling what Nika told that kid concerning her health moving forward. :eek:

Reaction Score
1. Just love Nika's efforts on the court. Defense wins championships. She will be the big factor in the tournament.
2. Another good game for CW.
3. Too risky to put Paige back to court with injury, it's not a critical game. I dont like it.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Paige, wasn't herself after she rolled her ankle. I would love to know what she said to Geno (that Geno says he can't repeat) when he asked her if she will be ready for the NCAA tournament in May. After she missed I think it was three shots, it was apparent that Paige was trying to feed her teammates after the ankle incident and wasn't looking for her shot. I think that made her play a little more one dimensional and gave the defense (since they figured out she wasn't going to shoot) an opportunity create difficulties for her by getting into the passing lanes. Maybe something didn't feel right when she took shots.

Williams and Ododa need to continue to build off these games...the defense is going to continue to give Ododa the foul line jumper...she needs to be consistent in knocking that shot down. Williams is best slashing and driving the basket...she is inconsistent from the outside.

Muhl is a warrior...she in there grabbing rebound, stealing the ball but she needs to be able to knock down threes as she will find herself open in the UConn offense.

Aubrey...where art thou Aubrey...I know you are capable of a double - double on just about any night. Aaliyah Edwards seems to have picked up where Aubrey left off last season. This leads me to think that Aubrey is hurt...and is playing through an injury.

Anne please get better...having an extra three point shooter in the line-up or coming off the bench is a plus and will be needed in the later rounds of the NCAAs.

Westbrook has become a stat stuffer and is fulfilling a different role on UConn than she did when she played for Tennessee. It is interesting to see the all around player she is becoming.

Poffenbarger, McLean and Gabriele will be bodies if we need extra minutes due to foul trouble or injuries.

Reaction Score
She is a tiger on the court, the fiercest player UConn has had in my memory. I just love her.
Agreed. And I’m guessing you mean “recent memory”.

1613862438344.jpeg

Reaction Score
Patrick Mahomes has nothing on Paige when it came to her passes today. They were money!

Evina may be one of the quietest impact players on any team in the county. When the game is over her fingerprint is all over it.

Great to see CW and Ono have strong games. Now let’s keep it up.

Love Nika’s compete level. Her shot will come around.

AE gets a little lost in the Paige sunlight but she’s been every bit as important to the teams success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom