Xavier post game thread. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Xavier post game thread.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Xavier is not a good team, surprised they smoked Seton Hall. With clingan, this game is not close.
Xavier is actually a good team especially defensively. They don't shoot well (except when they play us).

Reaction Score
Xavier is actually a good team especially defensively. They don't shoot well (except when they play us).
Yeah there's a reason that was a Q1 win. Kenpom had them ranked above Providence going into last night and I'm fairly certain they were top 25 in the country in defensive efficiency.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

To be fair, after that 4-4 stretch to start the 2nd half they were pretty bad from 3 (1 of 8).

Reaction Score
Aparently, the Refs apply the "Slenderman Rules" to Karaban when assessing "Section 39. Verticality" for Alex.

Interestingly, S39, Article 1, Item h is the most ignored/abused rule in all of CBB. The amount of defensive fouls called that are, in fact, contact initiated by the offensive player has to be upwards of 75%, probably even 90%+.
And whenever an offensive player falls to ground when driving to basket, 90% of the time the defense is given a foul- the refs' thinking must be "if player is on floor, they must have been pushed or tripped".

Reaction Score
I think his best position will continue to be the 5, but he has to figure out how to defend without fouling. He's good for about 2 fouls a game that are just unnecessary

The good thing is those fouls are fixable. Ones where he's reaching or going for the block instead of staying straight up. He's only 225lbs, so some big bruisers like Soriano are going to draw some more fouls, but if he can avoid the IQ fouls and play honestly, he'll be alright. Get in the film room!

Reaction Score
Interestingly, S39, Article 1, Item h is the most ignored/abused rule in all of CBB. The amount of defensive fouls called that are, in fact, contact initiated by the offensive player has to be upwards of 75%, probably even 90%+.

They need to rewrite that rule or get some new guidance. The game of basketball would change entirely if that was called consistently and by the book. Initiating contact is something kids are learning to do in middle school.

A good driver is initiating contact on every single possession they can. You control the physicality and take the angle to the rim you want instead of letting the defender take your angle away; makes finishing much easier. Steph is really, really good at that.

Reaction Score

They do some things pretty well but their offense is ugly and it’s getting worse. Not taking anything away from the huskies though, great win.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's my coach.

He's well aware of this forum no doubt. Probably told Cam to miss the first end of the one and one to insure the close win!;)

Reactions: caw

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The other thing that's maddening about the "dribble off 20 seconds at halfcourt" approach to killing clock is that you have a team that's battered, bruised, behind, and on the ropes. You decide your finishing strategy is to let them catch their collective breaths for 20sec, then tell them they have to play concentrated good D for only 10 sec.

Make them work their arses off for the full 30sec...they will be less likely to be able to run their offense at 100% capacity...even if you miss your shot.
Agree 100000000%
Somehow that hasn't sunk in to the coaches.
You can work time off the clock at a rapid pace as well as a slow pace - its called effective ball movement

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thank god for Diarra. He was a one man show on offense and played great D on their guards. Without him I think we might lose with Karaban hurt during that stretch. We need to work on FTs in next practices. The game should never been this close.
I’d guess they always work on FT. Every shot is its own little world. One thing i noticed seeing Newton in person several games ago. He’s a decent foul shooter but shoots a relatively low trajectory shot. If he’s not straight in he has very room for error.

Reaction Score
Love the win but man that was a stressful ending. It wasn’t so much the draining clock on offense that drove me crazy, it was fouling on defense. Time is your friend, the one critical thing you don’t want to do is stop the clock for them and we did that feels like 3-4 times in the last 3 minutes, giving them chances to score without the clock moving.

Reaction Score
Samson is not a 4. He never was--he was just sharing the court with Adama in high school. The second Adama left, he went right back into the post. We're asking him to play in the post because he's freakishly athletic, long, tall, has enough weight now... and has absolutely 0 perimeter skills worth mentioning.

He has more than enough size and post-skill to be a successful high-major big. He's not going to average 17/10 like Donovan could, but there's a 10/6 player in there who doesn't get in foul trouble 50% of the time. It's the IQ and feel for the game stuff that is preventing him from being better right now.
^^^ this… but… another 20# would help him if it didn’t cut into his gifts.

Reaction Score
I don't think this has been mentioned..but...

27 assists on 31 baskets. That's 87%. :D
Genuinely not meant as a gotcha, but if anyone wanted to discuss specifically

Reaction Score
Olivari seems like a good dude. Truth be told, I've always kinda pulled for Xavier over the years.
They were always a strong A-10 team and solid tourney competitor. I respect them. Good crowd and good consistent program. That was a good win for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom