Xavier post game thread. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Xavier post game thread.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
i am guessing that laphonso ellis has some west african friends or family, because i believe that the traditional west african way of pronouncing the name is with a "j" sound:

"Pronunciation guides say it is a French pronunciation of an African name and list the “j” sound with “dj.” They liken the “j” sound to the sound in “Djakarta” and “budget.”"

source

Reaction Score
Win the game. Any coach that speeds up play ahead 14 points with three minutes left is guilty of malpractice.
Yes, win the game. Don't give them a chance to win the game, or worse, play not to lose.

Aggressive doesn't equal speed up. Continue to run your offense, knowing that you don't have to score(=be smart), if a layup isn't there, keep running your offense for 30 seconds. Watching us dribbling around lazily and then turning it over or someone chucking up a shot with 2 seconds to go almost cost us the game.

Reaction Score
i am guessing that laphonso ellis has some west african friends or family, because i believe that the traditional west african way of pronouncing the name is with a "j" sound:

"Pronunciation guides say it is a French pronunciation of an African name and list the “j” sound with “dj.” They liken the “j” sound to the sound in “Djakarta” and “budget.”"

source
I appreciate your response. Hurley says "Di-arra", but however you pronounce it he played great!
As far as LaPhonso called the game I thought he was more critical of UCONN, ie Karaban hooking call, Karaban elbow to the head, Castle getting choked and pulled to the ground, etc.

Reaction Score
Missing the foul shots nearly lost us the game. Even so, the plan worked perfectly, we ate the clock, we won. We got exactly what we wanted but even Spenser missed from the line.

I expect Hurley to do the exact same thing up 14 with 3 minutes to go. However, he mentioned in the post game he was not pleased our execution at the end.
At least let someone else hoist 3s at the shot clock.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do people really think we can't complain about the refs lying about they don't know why Karraban is bleeding?

Or the different standards applied to end of game out of bounds calls?

Blatant inconsistencies, AFTER VIDEO REVIEWS.

So James Breeding like. The same man who tossed Hurley for inciting on riot when he asked the crowd to get loud vs Nova two years ago

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm still shocked they didn't call a flagrant 1 when Karraban was elbowed in the head. I don't buy their statement that they "don't know why he's bleeding". I still remember officials calling a Flagrant 1 on Vital and changing the outcome of a game when he was merely elevating and shooting

I was also surprised they didn't give us the ball after it went out of bounds off of X near the end if the game. The announcers joked they missed a foul and that's an old time call. I guess they didn't see the end of the Kansas game and what they did to Diarra
Someone else on the BY alluded to AD Benedict's job as talking to the the League office about officiating. He has the numbers and the videos. Time to do a Powerpoint Presentation. "Exhibit A your highness: Here is Alex Karaban getting nearly decapitated and bleeding profusely. The refs said
"We didn't see it" "

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Someone else on the BY alluded to AD Benedict's job as talking to the the League office about officiating. He has the numbers and the videos. Time to do a Powerpoint Presentation. "Exhibit A your highness: Here is Alex Karaban getting nearly decapitated and bleeding profusely. The refs said
"We didn't see it" "
OK, but I'm still going to come here and complain about officiating malpractice

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, win the game. Don't give them a chance to win the game, or worse, play not to lose.

Aggressive doesn't equal speed up. Continue to run your offense, knowing that you don't have to score(=be smart), if a layup isn't there, keep running your offense for 30 seconds. Watching us dribbling around lazily and then turning it over or someone chucking up a shot with 2 seconds to go almost cost us the game.

This is a valid point. Much like an NFL team needs a 2-minute offense to close out a game bleeding down the clock, I would much appreciate if Hurley and staff were able to get the players to bleed down 20 seconds but have a 10 second offensive set they can run well.

It's possible to run down the clock and still run a coherent set that gets a good shot off near the end of the clock.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
In the last 7 games, Samson has had 4 fouls SIX TIMES. His inability to defend without fouling is becoming problematic. He also has 2 total assists.

He wasn't supposed to be the starter, but he's shown he's better than this. More than capable of being a more consistent defender IMO.
I also think part of the problem is that Samson is decidedly a 4 playing as a 5. You see it when Karaban gets put at the 5 as well. I do think Samson has some tendencies he needs to nip in the bud, but we’re asking a kid who came up as a long, stretch-4 to now play primarily in the post. With Clingan back I think we see improvements from Johnson.

Reaction Score
Strategies, like should a team slow down the game with a 14 point lead (they probably should), etc, must take into account the location of where games are played. It is clear that playing on the road will have different challenges than playing at home. The foul discrepancy in last nights game should have been a clue. The horrible FT shooting all night long by UConn. AK gnash over the eye, viewed as a basketball play (i think it was, actually, but called differently based on locale) are all clues. Having said that, we should all be glad DH is the coach and not some message board poster.

Reaction Score
Where does this “parallel arms” or “incidental contact” stuff come from? What’s the actual language of the rule? Last night goes against everything I’ve come to understand about flagrant fouls in basketball these days.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still don't get the no call on the shot to Karaban's head.
I'm amazed they were able to get him back in the game. Karaban showed a lot of heart getting back into the game after that. Here's some footage of the trainer working on him in the locker room:

Reaction Score
I also think part of the problem is that Samson is decidedly a 4 playing as a 5. You see it when Karaban gets put at the 5 as well. I do think Samson has some tendencies he needs to nip in the bud, but we’re asking a kid who came up as a long, stretch-4 to now play primarily in the post. With Clingan back I think we see improvements from Johnson.

Samson is not a 4. He never was--he was just sharing the court with Adama in high school. The second Adama left, he went right back into the post. We're asking him to play in the post because he's freakishly athletic, long, tall, has enough weight now... and has absolutely 0 perimeter skills worth mentioning.

He has more than enough size and post-skill to be a successful high-major big. He's not going to average 17/10 like Donovan could, but there's a 10/6 player in there who doesn't get in foul trouble 50% of the time. It's the IQ and feel for the game stuff that is preventing him from being better right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn’t know the parallel/angled rule, but by that rule it wasn’t a flagrant.
A flagrant 1 foul involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders".

So, I guess the refs decided that the contact wasn't "excessive or severe." I don't think it was intentional, but the the rule doesn't require that it be intentional. Arguably, if you split somebody's head open causing about an inch and a half gash on their forehead, the contact is severe.

Reaction Score
Where does this “parallel arms” or “incidental contact” stuff come from? What’s the actual language of the rule? Last night goes against everything I’ve come to understand about flagrant fouls in basketball these days.
I think they were doing a really poor job of conveying some mixture of these 2 rules

IMG_6248.jpeg

IMG_6249.jpeg

Reaction Score

They did continue to run the offense. They ran it poorly. That's according to Hurley.

You absolutely bleed the clock in that circumstance. And if by "almost cost us the game," you mean we won. You're right.

Reaction Score
I think they were doing a really poor job of conveying some mixture of these 2 rules

View attachment 95015
View attachment 95016

I’m obviously biased but I am struggling to think of another instance where a play like that was not called a flagrant. I was stunned that they actually went to the monitor and didn’t do it. Seems completely inconsistent with the way they want the games called these days.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95015
View attachment 95016
Was wondering why I hadn’t heard of that rule. Either way in hindsight and out of the stresses of the game, I don’t think it’s a flagrant. Seemed to be a very natural move just that AK and X’s man’s elbow ended up in the same area. But, I know intent isn’t all of the rule, so who knows.

Reaction Score
They did continue to run the offense. They ran it poorly. That's according to Hurley.

You absolutely bleed the clock in that circumstance. And if by "almost cost us the game," you mean we won. You're right.
Yeah, we really have to do a better job of finding open space in that scenario. The plays are the same as they always are, they just start about 10 seconds later in the clock. Instead of running offense as usual, everyone just stood around waiting for Newton to take an impossible shot. And, of course a couple times he ran the clock down to 2 seconds and handed Castle the grenade.
I'm sure the guys will spend some time on this in film study for the next few practices.

Reaction Score
I’m obviously biased but I am struggling to think of another instance where a play like that was not called a flagrant. I was stunned that they actually went to the monitor and didn’t do it. Seems completely inconsistent with the way they want the games called these days.
Most of them are, especially NBA, pretty much any head contact is a flagrant at this point. I remember in the playoffs last year D’angelo Russell went for a block on someone and grazed his head, and they called it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom