Xavier courtside observations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier courtside observations

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Coach thought Gaffney would be further along and be a contributer. DH was wrong on this and has pretty much admitted this.
Actually Gaff was the only one I saw that takes it the hoop. He scored right away. He hasn't been playing bad at all. Yes, I watched all the games. He has made bone head turnovers. However he is quick. Left alone he can bury a three. Maybe give him more minutes?

Reaction Score
Having never been to Xavier before, I must say they have a very good basketball arena. Great environment and student section was huge, loud and definitely effected the game. Watching warm ups I was impressed with the length and athleticism of Xavier up close. They seemed bigger then uconn at every position. Once the game started I was equally impressed by uconns physicality on D. In my opinion, we played well, answered every run, but the difference was Nunge. Besides the fact that sanogo sat early, when he came back in, he was bothered by Nunges length, and could not establish any dominance or rhythm. Nothing fell for us most of the night, and fremantle, nudge and Scruggs prevented the offensive board edge we normally enjoy. I was impressed with uconn being able to stay in touch late in the game, but felt the refs started to key on hurley, and the crowd was demanding a T for last 10 minutes. Despite the home crowd tilt and poor shooting from 3 of the 5 starters, we should have won this game. Cole was clutch in the final 5 fighting through triple teams and obvious no calls. But the Jackson T killed all momentum and jacked the crowd to a deafening level, and I saw the defeat in uconns eyes. Tough loss, tough crowd. I will say our boys played very hard and battled like champions, despite the outcome. Our guys love hurleys Fire too and respond to it. Up close, martin is a monster and much leaner and athletic looking then on TV BTW.
this is value add. thanks for the insight.

Reaction Score
We could have really used a decent transfer at guard. Team is obviously a guard short.
This is exactly where Hurley deserves criticism. Our issues now are exactly what most expected them to be. We needed back court depth and a guy who can generate his own shot.

Reaction Score
Seems like every team we've lost to this year was due to an impact transfer having a great game against us...must be nice
Great point. I wish we had someone who was a transfer who was playing at an all conference level.

Seriously, you have to shake your head sometimes. I’m blaming Hurley that I’m going to have to put my IPad down and make my wife and I breakfast now. This happens every Sunday — why hasn’t he fixed it.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the on site look at the Xavier game, good stuff.

A couple things of interest for sure was the pregame back n’forth with Hurley and that particular ref. I mean for those of us watching the game there was a clear lip reading post technical foul of DH looking straight at someone mouthing “F N punk” multiple times. I’m guessing they had a few cold ones after to clear things up?

Prior to the game the announcers mentioned that Xaviers shoot around had some very physical rebounding drills to prepare for our obvious strength coming in. Don’t like Steele at all but he did seem to get through the importance of that part of the game, it worked for sure.

While you were right about Cole making some plays he also made some awful decisions on the break as well as in half court late. His miss of AJ wide open for a dunk on a 3 in 1 was killer and a forced pass to Sanogo to the interior that sailed oobs hurt as well. To be honest the missed lay up that Sanogo tapped in was a force as well Adama bailed him out. Like the kid a lot but he needs to be a better leader in closing games, make much better decisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom