Xavier’s Desmond Claude enters the transfer portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier’s Desmond Claude enters the transfer portal

Reaction Score
if any of the talk about his family pushing him to leave for $$$ and/or a position change is true, he's not a fit here.

as it is, i would rather get shooting at the position in mcneeley or brea. we don't need a team full of high-usage mercenaries to win. we already proved that twice.

Reaction Score
Hard pass here, he can play but this would more than likely lead to unhappy returning players

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tough hit for the Big East. He’s going to get a bag somewhere.

If Sean Miller doesn’t have his own big bags of cash after 3 years in Cincinnati, then he isn’t as effective a scumbag coach as we all thought he was. Either Claude was demanding an outrageous amount (likely) or/and had a completely unrealistic assessment of his own ability (also likely).

Reaction Score
also, this sucks for xavier and the big east (assuming he leaves the conference and doesn't just end up at georgetown or sju)

Reaction Score
If Sean Miller doesn’t have his own big bags of cash after 3 years in Cincinnati, then he isn’t as effective a scumbag coach as we all thought he was. Either Claude was demanding an outrageous amount (likely) or/and had a completely unrealistic assessment of his own ability (also likely).

They return McKnight, just picked up Dante Maddox and are the favorite for Ryan Conwell. Their backcourt is in very good shape, even without Claude.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Word from X fans is that his family is extremely involved and want their son to play PG.
If this is true, it could be a red flag if his parents are not trusting the coaches and wanting to micromanage. That wouldn't work here.

Reaction Score
would more than likely lead to unhappy returning players

To be honest this is a loser mentality. Way too much of this on this board, too much worry about hurt feelings. I know it is a consideration, but it can't be the primary consideration. These are now professional ballplayers getting paid big money to compete and win games. If they don't want to compete find another team.

Reaction Score
I've said since I first saw him play, he's one I'd love to have at UConn. The second best CT born player in college after DC.

Reaction Score
To be honest this is a loser mentality. Way too much of this on this board, too much worry about hurt feelings. I know it is a consideration, but it can't be the primary consideration.
It's not about hurt feelings, it's about bringing in talented players who also fit with the current roster. And he's not a good fit when you're expecting a big jump and lots of minutes for Solo Ball.

I have no problem recruiting over guys with transfers, but I don't think that's a smart move in this specific case. Notice how I didn't say the same thing in the threads about Traore or Hausen or Brea or Reed or McNeely

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To be honest this is a loser mentality. Way too much of this on this board, too much worry about hurt feelings. I know it is a consideration, but it can't be the primary consideration. These are now professional ballplayers getting paid big money to compete and win games. If they don't want to compete find another team.
I can't agree. It seems like Duke is taking that approach and now they have over half the team in the portal. Meanwhile, I still remember tough guys here calling Hurley "weak" because he didn't run Whaley off the team. But Dan's way has built trust. Team-builders ignore feelings at their own risk.

Reaction Score
another broke church league team getting their best returning player poached.
Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train
And yet they will still beat Cincy next year as usual….go figure

Reaction Score
I can say first hand the money being thrown around by aome programs is staggering. He will get a bag and it will be for more than we thought possible.

I know a starting pg at a P6 school who wasn’t even in the portal just get poached by another P6 school offering 3x the amount he currently is receiving. Claude is better than this kid and has two more years of eligibility. Go figure.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Would you rather have Brea, Claude, Boogie Fland or Hausen in the back court if you could choose one?

Reaction Score
1) Even as a questionable shooter, he can fit in the Andre Jackson/Steph Castle role. But that role is a secondary ballhandler role and we don't really have the Cam Spencer/Jordan Hawkins shooter yet needed to make it work (maybe Ball can shoot as well as coach says, but I doubt as effectively off the move). And we have a ton of returning talent at his size already with potentially McNeeley on the way as well (though there may be room if Karaban leaves and Stewart plays the 4). If he wants to play primary "PG" and run a ton of pick and rolls or whatever, that won't work with how our offense operates.

2) Our offense had a lot of really well-rounded scorers and passers that have gone. Getting a guy with a big hole in his game is probably not what the offense needs since our other returnees are a bit more flawed than Spencer/Newton/Clingan/potentially Karaban were. Ball's decision making and ball skills need to improve. Diarra had 1 good shooting and finishing year, but will he regress? Can Stewart score in the flow of the offense and how is his off ball IQ? You can fit in a flawed piece if you have diamonds around it, but we have a lot of unpolished gems so far.
No trying to be funny here, but what were your thoughts on Diarra before he got here?
Diarra spent 2 years coming off the bench at UConn until he learned how to shoot. I don't think Claude wants to come off the bench, from all the talk he wants to actually be The Man.

Reaction Score
I can't agree. It seems like Duke is taking that approach and now they have over half the team in the portal. Meanwhile, I still remember tough guys here calling Hurley "weak" because he didn't run Whaley off the team. But Dan's way has built trust. Team-builders ignore feelings at their own risk.

and to be clear I posted many messages supporting Hurley when many were down on him on this board. You can't find an anti Hurley post from me. I trust Hurley to make the right calls on building the roster, and I highly doubt hurt feelings are his primary concern. My guess is that he will attempt to put together a roster that can compete for another final four run next year. I bet he laughs at the idea of hurt feelings. I think he has stated that the money the players now get gives him the right and confidence to push them harder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He’s not a good shooter. He’s had 2 years to work on it and hasn’t improved (in fact he’s gotten worse with more volume). We’ve gotten away with two non shooters on the floor before but those guys have been elite level defenders which Claude isn’t.

I’m sure we’d see him get better here but I just don’t see us trying to make it work given his limitations.
Agree, they tried to blame it on needing elbow surgery this year, but he didn't shoot well his first year either. He's a talented big ball handler and finisher, but not a long range consistent player. That said, I think that is Sean Miller's 8th player in the portal. Not a good look. They are basically playing a year to year game which isn't sustainable at their level. His Arizona recruiting was influenced heavily by bending the rules which now he can't due to his advantage like the old days. Gonna have to find some consistent kids who want to put a few years in and see if he can develop guys.

Reaction Score
“We’re in construction, the architecture of trying to put together all the right pieces and another great team,” Hurley said. “We’re not looking to put together an all-star team. We’d like to retain as many players as we can, that would make sense for us, so we can carry over a lot of our culture. But we’ll be strategic and smart. We won’t add a lot because we feel like we’ve got a lot coming back, even though we’re probably going to lose more.”

“It’s the growth, the development, the situations you find yourself in with players where they mature before your eyes,” Hurley said. “It’s an ongoing process. You see them come in as young players, and then the men they’re blossoming into. Great character. Championship makeup. That’s what it’s all about.”

Alternate access

Dan Hurley, NCAA champion UConn men's basketball team honored at State Capitol on 'Husky Day'

Reaction Score
If it’s true that his parents are crazy involved then it obviously won’t be a fit

Reaction Score
He’s a super fun player to watch, and a 6’6 junior PG that could put up close to 20 a game if he wanted could be interesting on NBA draft boards

Don’t think it’s a fit here (even at SG because we need a shooter), but excited to see what he can do next year wherever he lands

Reaction Score
For some reason when we play them and the announcers mention Claude I think of Aunt Edna saying "Do you enjoy throwing up every five minutes Claude?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom