WWJCD? (What would Jim Calhoun do?) | The Boneyard

WWJCD? (What would Jim Calhoun do?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shabazz just got twice the amount of rebounds as Alex Oriahki and Andre Drummond combined. :confused:

Reaction Score
What's confusing? There were rebounds to be had, and Bazz had 'em.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just another attribute that SN learned from KW

Reaction Score
Lol, I didn't mean this against Bazz - but seriously, AD and AO should have had more boards. Let's be honest...

Reaction Score
Some players, regardless of position, just have a nose for the ball. Rodman used to study the arc of shots and where they'd go on a miss. Bazz seems to just have a feel. From what I've seen, I would expect him to have double digit rebounds 2-3 more times this year.

Reaction Score
Lol, I didn't mean this against Bazz - but seriously, AD and AO should have had more boards. Let's be honest...

Sure, they should have. But one of my concerns coming into the season was replacing Kemba's ability to grab defensive boards. He grabbed a ton of crucial long rebounds last year. So it's very positive to see Shabazz getting into the mix like that.

Based on last year, I just can't get concerned about AO not getting boards in the easier games. It's frustrating that he doesn't do it all the time, but I believe 100% in him when it truly matters. He's proven himself. As for Drummond, I have very little doubt after watching his athleticism that he too will be there when we need him.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sure, they should have. But one of my concerns coming into the season was replacing Kemba's ability to grab defensive boards. He grabbed a ton of crucial long rebounds last year. So it's very positive to see Shabazz getting into the mix like that.

Based on last year, I just can't get concerned about AO not getting boards in the easier games. It's frustrating that he doesn't do it all the time, but I believe 100% in him when it truly matters. He's proven himself. As for Drummond, I have very little doubt after watching his athleticism that he too will be there when we need him.

I totally agree with this. I've posted similar thoughts in way older threads that Kemba was a great rebounder for a guard and while everyone understood it was going to be hard to replace his leadership, points and late game heroics, it was going to be really important to replace his rebounds.

I was pretty sure Napier was going to be good to really good, but he has surpassed all my expectations. Scoring more than I expected, Rebounding better than I expected, Assisting better than expected, Turning Over less than expected, and Leading just a little more than I expected. Better in all 5 most important areas for a point guard and he's just been studly. The fact that he looks so comfortable doing it is so reassuring.

Reaction Score
Sometimes, you get a game with a lot of long rebounds - or blocked shots (those are rebounds too). Rebound off the rim is advantage big men. Rebound that bounces on the floor is advantage to the little guys. Shabazz got most of the little guy rebounds.

Reaction Score
Sometimes (although I didn't go back and look at Bazz's rebounds to check for this), bigs focus on boxing their man out to the extent that the rebound falls free for another player, such as Shabazz, to grab.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Teams are shooting an average of 26 3pt attempts per game against UConn ... you're going to see a lot of long rebounds going to the guards.

Reaction Score
Shabazz was amazing but he does have a tendency to let his man drive by him knowing the bigs are there. This puts him in good position to rebound

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
he'll probably use that and motivate those two to do some work. after he made the public comment that olander was essentially the only big who knew how to play, AO and AD both had decent games, then combined for and 27 and 22(17) against maine.

ps: bazz actually doubled AO and AD combined rebounding total

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Teams are shooting an average of 26 3pt attempts per game against UConn ... you're going to see a lot of long rebounds going to the guards.
very good point, but theres no question that oriakhi is struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom