WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You put chili on my spaghetti and my grandmother will rise from the grave and smack every human within arms distance with a wooden spoon. And deservedly so.

You must come from an Italian family, too. Wooden spoon stories are legendary in our family as well.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Chili, onions and cheese. I'm not embarrassed to say I love me some Skyline chili.

Her name's Geraldine, she's about 5'1" with a short perm. Watch your back bro. She brings the ruckus.

4554504714_450358d2d6_z.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Skyline Chili is unique in that it is not chili con carne, the meat dish that originated in (and is the state dish of) Texas. Instead, Cincinnati-style chili is a sauce usually used over spaghetti or hot dogs, containing a unique spice blend that gives it a very distinct taste."

Their blasphemy against chili is more than enough reason to keep them out of the Big 12. IMHO.

(Oh and I once heard someone at BYU say they hate Texas. Just thought you'd want to know.)

Thanks for this post.
As for BYU hating Texas, I can't say I am surprised.

The Big 12 is BYU's only hope of getting into a power conference and we won't let them in. No other power conference will have them either.

Also, Texas gets blamed for everything. We are used to it by now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chili with cinnamon in it. Nothing more. It's like crack to those tri-state hillbillies though.
Last time I had the world famous chili dogs at Capitol Lunch in New Britain I swear I tasted cinnamon (or cardamom). Makes sense now, it was a unique tasting chili.

pj

Reaction Score
Sorry for having derailed the discussion on this thread.

Getting back to the OP's post, what are your impressions of what was discussed in that interview. Could this be an indication of where the Big 12 is going?

I will be honest and I am sorry if I step on any toes here, but from my perspective, I am not a fan of Cincinnati in the Big 12. I don't see that school bringing much to the conference. Maybe you guys could enlighten me on what Cincy has to offer (other than being a school close to WVU).

Cincy doesn't bring nearly as much as UConn, but if you have to have 12, they are the best of the rest.

UCF and USF are all potential, not reality. Cincy as the #2 public school in a state of 11.6 million arguably brings as much potential as UCF or USF, #3 and #4 public schools in a state of 19.9 million, and more of it has been realized. Florida also has a marquee (in foootball) private school, U of Miami; Ohio has no such competition. Cincy is way ahead of Memphis, and Houston would be fine if Houston were not in Texas which the B12 already has. BYU problematic. Who else is there?

Reaction Score
Cincy doesn't bring nearly as much as UConn, but if you have to have 12, they are the best of the rest.

UCF and USF are all potential, not reality. Cincy as the #2 public school in a state of 11.6 million arguably brings as much potential as UCF or USF, #3 and #4 public schools in a state of 19.9 million, and more of it has been realized. Florida also has a marquee (in foootball) private school, U of Miami; Ohio has no such competition. Cincy is way ahead of Memphis, and Houston would be fine if Houston were not in Texas which the B12 already has. BYU problematic. Who else is there?

Thanks

Reaction Score
Over spaghetti too. I had a different brand of the same thing at the Cincinnati airport recently, wasn't anything to write home about.

I finally get it now. There are some parts of Italy that heavily spice their ragu with nutmeg. This must be the origin. I've eaten spaghetti where you could taste the nutmeg and other spices. Around Calabria.

Reaction Score
You put chili on my spaghetti and my grandmother will rise from the grave and smack every human within arms distance with a wooden spoon. And deservedly so.

What is Bolognese if not a kind of chili?

Reaction Score
I hate to sound stupid, but what is skyline chili? I must be missing something here.
Nope, really not missing anything at all. When I visited this girl in Ohio, just a couple years out of college, and the second day she asked me if I wanted to go out for a 3-way, I was pretty stoked... thinking to myself "best, trip, ever". And then we pulled into a Skyline Chili and ordered a 3-way, which is spaghetti covered with chili, topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese. Then I thought "worst, trip, ever"
Just to clarify, a 4-way is a 3-Way with onions or beans, and a 5-way is a 3-Way with onions and beans.

Reaction Score
Nope, really not missing anything at all. When I visited this girl in Ohio, just a couple years out of college, and the second day she asked me if I wanted to go out for a 3-way, I was pretty stoked... thinking to myself "best, trip, ever". And then we pulled into a Skyline Chili and ordered a 3-way, which is spaghetti covered with chili, topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese. Then I thought "worst, trip, ever"
Just to clarify, a 4-way is a 3-Way with onions or beans, and a 5-way is a 3-Way with onions and beans.

This reminds me of the Who movie, "Tommy."

Reaction Score
Because Cincy and UConn are head and shoulders above any other AD not already in a P5.(BYU too but the baggage of an entire religion really sucks balls.) We both won titles in multiple sports in what was then a power conference. This is why I HATE how we have people discussing do we have what it takes to be a Big Boy...We were and we had what it took and neither schools did anything to be relegated.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I love chili. I make a mean batch of it, if I may say so. My absolute favorite tailgates are for Noon games when I can have chili poured over scrambled eggs for breakfast and a few hours later, eat a few chili dogs and chili burgers. I'm amazed I can stay awake enough for the game (especially in the 2013-14 seasons)!

Reaction Score
To me CT has logistic advantages over almost any area of the Country
If you wanted to see your team play in Ct you can arrange transportation to a great number of different airports depending on what else you want to do besides attend the game.
You could simply fly into Hartford rent a car an take in some of the scenic fall foliage and historical little towns.
You could fly into NYC were the list of things to do is endless and still see the game
You could have the same experience using Boston as a base
You could fly into Providence go to the beach or Newport and still see the game
Later in the year you could ski .
The compact nature of the Northeast makes it unique something I miss as an AZ resident. (I drive over an hour to get to the West side of Phoenix. )
There is something for every taste within a couple hour radius.
Having entertained many people from the Midwest ,fresh seafood and the ocean were always high on the list.

Reaction Score
I made Cincinnati chili for a tailgate. I really nailed it and had all the "ways" available. No one ate it.

For some reason I find this as depressing as that BC kids post game pressed yesterday.

Reaction Score
I made Cincinnati chili for a tailgate. I really nailed it and had all the "ways" available. No one ate it.
Cincinnati Chili is definitely an acquired taste......My wife is from Central Pennsylvania, she could not stand the stuff when she first came out to Cincinnati. Ten years later, she loves it! A 5-way with hot sauce & oyster crackers, and 2 cheese coneys with onions and mustard.... "IS MONEY'' They even provide you with a bib, so that you don't get the stuff all over your shirt. It's a Cincy thing.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati Chili is definitely an acquired taste.My wife is from Central Pennsylvania, she could not stand the stuff when she first came out to Cincinnati. Ten years later, she loves it! A 5-way with hot sauce & oyster crackers, and 2 cheese coneys with onions and mustard.... "IS MONEY'' They even provide you with a bib, so that you don't get the stuff all over your shirt. It's a Cincy thing.
I prefer Texas Chili!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Cincinnati Chili is definitely an acquired taste.My wife is from Central Pennsylvania, she could not stand the stuff when she first came out to Cincinnati. Ten years later, she loves it! A 5-way with hot sauce & oyster crackers, and 2 cheese coneys with onions and mustard.... "IS MONEY'' They even provide you with a bib, so that you don't get the stuff all over your shirt. It's a Cincy thing.
Yeah, it's really not that bad IMO. My sister was an undergrad at Miami U. back during the Roethlisberger era, and I occasionally had some Skyline chili when I visited her out there. As fast food goes, which it basically is, it's more than acceptable. The problem is that the term "chili" is somewhat of a misnomer; it's more like a chiliesque spaghetti sauce, so there's no real point in comparing it to actual Texas chili. I could be wrong, but I don't think people typically eat an entire bowl of Skyline chili.

As an aside (or back to the main subject, depending on your point of view), I want to take a second to thank all the UConn fans who frequently post on this board. I don't really ever post over here but I read the threads often and greatly appreciate the specialized knowledge and insight that you all bring regarding the whole CR situation. You perform a great and valuable service for other UConn fans who are less aware of what's going on and why. So thanks.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't know, I don't buy the fact that BYU is not likely to get in cause they are a "Pain in the butt."

That's annoying, but if they bring in the money there is no way Big 12 leadership won't suck it in and invite them. Money talks.

So if BYU is not getting in, there has to be something more there than just them being awful to work with. Perhaps their footprint is being exaggerated or something else, but I don't buy for a second that the Big 12 will say no because they are obnoxious.

I just think the whole mormon thing is over stated. People keep pointing to ND as if they are similar... There are 70 million Catholics in the United States... There a 6.1 mormons. It's not even close to being the same thing. Not to mention they are spread out outside of Utah and bits of Nevada... it's hard to monitize. PLUS they are a pain in the ass. I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
You can't monetize BYU fans not in areas with heavy Mormon populations. Cablevision can't carry the Big XII Network and bill only mormons in New Jersey for the coveraga. A BYU Network, that is paid for individually, can charge for it.

I think BYU's advantage is it has a bigger fanbase and more histrical success for football than either UConn or Cincy. But if that didn't get them in before -- when conference networks weren't the driving force in expansion -- I don't see how it's going to get them in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom