WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors | The Boneyard

WVU's Play by Play Guy on Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Link took me to WVU Defensive coordinator discussion. Nothing at 7 minute mark.

Reaction Score
So then it must not be him and it must be safe to listen.
No it's actually the WVU play-by-play guy. It's really good....gives a perspective from the B-12 play-by-play announcers. Also gives a interesting different view on the bad side of BYU.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
No it's actually the WVU play-by-play guy. It's really good....gives a perspective from the B-12 play-by-play announcers. Also gives a interesting different view on the bad side of BYU.

Yeah it was a good listen. Nice and encouraging.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I don't buy the fact that BYU is not likely to get in cause they are a "Pain in the butt."

That's annoying, but if they bring in the money there is no way Big 12 leadership won't suck it in and invite them. Money talks.

So if BYU is not getting in, there has to be something more there than just them being awful to work with. Perhaps their footprint is being exaggerated or something else, but I don't buy for a second that the Big 12 will say no because they are obnoxious.

Reaction Score
Got more info from those guys then all of the CT media combined. But we all know the reputation of WV guys.....

Reaction Score
I don't know, I don't buy the fact that BYU is not likely to get in cause they are a "Pain in the butt."

That's annoying, but if they bring in the money there is no way Big 12 leadership won't suck it in and invite them. Money talks.

So if BYU is not getting in, there has to be something more there than just them being awful to work with. Perhaps their footprint is being exaggerated or something else, but I don't buy for a second that the Big 12 will say no because they are obnoxious.

I can absolutely see the heavy hitters in the B12 being unwilling to make concessions to a team they're adding, and BYU would require some concessions. Rescheduling of tournaments, etc.

Reaction Score

The problem (as I see it) with BYU is that while they do bring interest due to the LDS members, what MARKET do they bring?

For a conference network, you have to bring a market so you can charge in-market rates for the network.

BYU may have national appeal, but if you can't monetize that fanbase, it's worthless.

Also, are advertisers going to line up to advertise to the BYU fanbase? To me, that's another issue. I'm pretty sure the church frowns upon liquor and tobacco use.

Reaction Score

BYU would have received an invitation to the Big 12 before TCU did, but obviously BYU wanted the conference to make concessions, concessions that would have put some of the other members at a disadvantage. ESPN found BYU and its lawyers very difficult to work with and in the end, it recommended the conference not consider BYU for membership. It is not likely the conference will revisit talks with BYU, especially after the decision was made to invite WVU as the 10th member.

Big 12's television partners said no to BYU - The Salt Lake Tribune

BYU learned the hard way that it isn't the Notre Dame of the West (like some of the its fans like to consider themselves).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BYU would have received an invitation to the Big 12 before TCU did, but obviously BYU wanted the conference to make concessions, concessions that would have put some of the other members at a disadvantage. ESPN found BYU and its lawyers very difficult to work with and in the end, it recommended the conference not consider BYU for membership. It is not likely the conference will revisit talks with BYU, especially after the decision was made to invite WVU as the 10th member.

Big 12's television partners said no to BYU - The Salt Lake Tribune

BYU learned the hard way that it isn't the Notre Dame of the West (like some of the its fans like to consider themselves).

Ok now THIS makes sense. It's not just that they are a pain in the butt, but that there hardheadedness was going to cost the conference money.

Reaction Score
Ok now THIS makes sense. It's not just that they are a pain in the butt, but that there hardheadedness was going to cost the conference money.

No one is talking "causing the conference money" here. The Big 12, as a 10-school league (with TCU and WVU), was still getting paid as if it still had 12 schools in the conference. ESPN/FOX did not have to renegotiate the Big 12's media contract for a lesser amount just because BYU was not invited. And hey, when ESPN is paying the bills, you listen.

BYU wanted to play by its own set of rules and the conference was not going to allow that to happen.

Reaction Score
No one is talking "causing the conference money" here. The Big 12, as a 10-school league (with TCU and WVU), was still getting paid as if it still had 12 schools in the conference. ESPN/FOX did not have to renegotiate the Big 12's media contract for a lesser amount.

BYU wanted to play by its own set of rules and the conference was not going to allow that to happen.

If ESPN says no and the Big 12 tells them to pound sand and invites BYU anyway, you don't think that's going to hurt them moving forward?

You don't piss off your TV partners. Just ask John Marinatto.

Reaction Score
If ESPN says no and the Big 12 tells them to pound sand and invites BYU anyway, you don't think that's going to hurt them moving forward?

You don't piss off your TV partners. Just ask John Marinatto.

How is what you are saying, different from what I said in my posts?

Reaction Score
How is what you are saying, different from what I said in my posts?

I suppose its not, but then why were you refuting my claim that BYU admission wasn't costing the conference money?

Reaction Score
I suppose its not, but then why were you refuting my claim that BYU admission wasn't costing the conference money?

The Big 12 (as a 10 school league before Texas A&M and Missouri departed) already had a negotiated contract with ESPN and Fox. Thanks to the former Big 12 commissioner, ESPN and Fox were agreeable to paying the conference the same as if it still had 12 schools.

When Texas A&M left, the conference was obligated to find a suitable replacement quickly that would keep the Big 12 from breaching that contract. BYU would have been a suitable replacement in the minds of the top brass at ESPN and Fox, but that fell through after BYU made its unreasonable requests. The media partners then approved TCU as a suitable replacement for A&M.

This scenario repeated itself when Missouri left and West Virginia was invited. WVU had to sue its way out of the Big East (with $10 million financial backing from the Big 12) in order to join the Big 12 for the 2012 season. Had that not happened, the conference would have been in serious trouble with the media partners.

So to go back to your argument, there is no way BYU was costing the conference money just because it wasn't invited. That still holds true to this day.

It's funny that BYU's coach Mendenhall had to go public with begging the Big 12 for membership.

BYU’s Mendenhall welcomes a Big 12 invite, if only it would be extended – CollegeFootballTalk

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 (as a 10 school league before Texas A&M and Missouri departed) already had a negotiated contract with ESPN and Fox. Thanks to the former Big 12 commissioner, ESPN and Fox were agreeable to paying the conference the same as if it still had 12 schools.

When Texas A&M left, the conference was obligated to find a suitable replacement quickly that would keep the Big 12 from breaching that contract. BYU would have been a suitable replacement in the minds of the top brass at ESPN and Fox, but that fell through after BYU made its unreasonable requests. The media partners then approved TCU as a suitable replacement for A&M.

This scenario repeated itself when Missouri left and West Virginia was invited. WVU had to sue its way out of the Big East (with $10 million financial backing from the Big 12) in order to join the Big 12 for the 2012 season. Had that not happened, the conference would have been in breach its contract.

So to go back to your argument, there is no way BYU was costing the conference money just because it wasn't invited. That still holds true to this day.

He is saying that in the long run, inviting BYU would cost the conference money, as they would irritate the networks.

Reaction Score

When Texas A&M left, the conference was obligated to find a suitable replacement quickly that would not breach that contract. BYU would have been a suitable replacement in the minds of the top brass at ESPN and Fox, but that fell through after BYU made its unreasonable requests. The media partners then approved TCU as a suitable replacement for A&M.

This scenario repeated itself when Missouri left and West Virginia was invited. WVU had to sue its way out of the Big East (with $10 million financial backing from the Big 12) in order to join the Big 12 for the 2012 season. Had that not happened, the conference would have been in breach its contract.

I think the confusion is that my argument isn't that not inviting BYU cost them money, but that inviting them would eventually cost them money.

Yes, under the existing contract they had they BYU entering as team 10 as opposed or in addition to TCU (as 11) they wouldn't of cost the conference any money, but their stubbornness and ESPN/FOX's general dissatisfaction with the school could cost the conference money in the future.

That's all I am getting at.

Reaction Score

This scenario repeated itself when Missouri left and West Virginia was invited. WVU had to sue its way out of the Big East (with $10 million financial backing from the Big 12) in order to join the Big 12 for the 2012 season. Had that not happened, the conference would have been in serious trouble with the media partners.

It's funny that BYU's coach Mendenhall had to go public with begging the Big 12 for membership.

BYU’s Mendenhall welcomes a Big 12 invite, if only it would be extended – CollegeFootballTalk
Then Mendenhall up and left BYU for UVA. That to me was more telling than anything that BYU isn't going to make concessions for any conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom