WV transfer: James Okonkwo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WV transfer: James Okonkwo

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but leaving a scholarship open when we have a chance to improve the team is dumb. Pitino is going after player #16 and you seem worried about hurt feelings. I'm glad you are not the coach.
Not worried about hurt feelings.. Following the lead of our coach saying he'll probably leave spot 13 open as he has done in the past.. My original comment was about a player coming onto a team that has a roster that is solid and is ok with how that stands.. It takes an unusual kid.. I think DH/staff think more about roster construction this year and next than you think .. Portal moves can be outliers.. Wouldn't say that Pitino is an example of a coach who is concerned about anyone but himself and his legacy.. Poor example to compare to DH

caw

Reaction Score
We just saw Johnson miss a whole year due to injury. Sanogo missed games in our injury plagued year. How does everyone feel about Clingan missing 3-4 games with a turned ankle? This might not be the guy, but we need 1 more piece in the post. I also think in 3-4 games we might use all 15 fouls with Clingan, Johnson, and Singare.

I do agree having another big would be ideal. If not you are looking at a froncourt of Karaban and two freshmen not named Singare. Even if it's only one game of foul trouble I would prefer having that extra body. I don't know if it is worth it for any player but Okonkwo is quality enough to reach out. Actually he might be ideal. Good enough to have played in the B12 but not good enough to have started last year and probably would be fourth or fifth on the front court depth chart.

Wouldn't mind Wague either.

Reaction Score
Would take a unique mindset and mature player to be ok with occupying the 13th spot on a team constructed like UConn's. Is he that guy? Don't know.. I don't think Danny is in any rush to fill the spot.. if at all. Gotta trust the staff on this one.. Have no problem keeping it open and rolling with who we have.

I don't think this is a 13th guy... I think he's a 10mpg back up center. This is a likely indication the staff isn't sold on Singare or Johnson backing up ClingClong

Reaction Score
I don't think this is a 13th guy... I think he's a 10mpg back up center. This is a likely indication the staff isn't sold on Singare or Johnson backing up ClingClong
If that's what's going on.. I get it.. No argument if true/feasible..

Reaction Score
If that's what's going on.. I get it.. No argument if true/feasible..

Why wouldn't it be? We wouldn't recruit an unknown 13th scholly in the middle of the summer. We already have players who won't see the floor.

Reaction Score
You have to weigh the options of whether bringing in a big man who is going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and may make some current players unhappy is worth the depth in case of injuries.
If he gets minutes ahead of Johnson, who has been on the team two years already, then Johnson being disgrunted and leaving isn't a big deal. Singare, in any event, as a raw big needs to be willing to sit this year if he's not good enough to play, and he already understands that already or we'd have a problem if he was just not playing behind DC and Johnson.

Compared to leaving the spot open, this makes perfect sense to me. And then if he comes here let the three compete for the minutes DC needs to rest.

Reaction Score
Let's see if we make his short list and/or get him on campus first.. Portal stuff happens quickly.. He made himself available in the middle of the summer because he could.. He's going to England soon for a few weeks and we're going to Europe in early August.. No second summer session if he commits?? Doable.. Of course.

His bio clearly suggests he could be of value .. Am surprised that staff has already arrived at the conclusion for need based on how early we are in prep for next year.

Reaction Score

This would be a great addition and I think solidify us as preseason #1, plus he has two years of eligibility, it's easy to project him as a starter his second year. It would stink to have next year's championship run torpedoed because we lacked front court depth.

We will not be preseason #1. We may not be in the top 10 and I can see why. Lots of questions.

Reaction Score
Yeah even though we reached out, I'd sort of be surprised if we get him. Depends what he's looking for but I'd guess it's more likely he goes somewhere with a clearer path to playing time early.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not too long ago there was some discussion about utilizing Stewart or Alex at the five playing small ball if Donovan was in foul trouble and Johnson struggled at the five.

Okonkwo is the ideal piece to shore up a significant weakness. It is not an overstatement to say this team has potential to go far this season.

It was very unlikely we could get an experienced decent player who would be willing to play ten minutes or less at the center. This could be the second time a WV player falls unexpectedly in our lap last minute. Things worked out quite well for us the first time.

Reaction Score
I expect basically nothing from Singare this year, so this guy appears to be a reasonable backup plan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was my first take.

Reaction Score
Just reached out to Ethan Bock, one of WVU's basketball insiders and a recruiting guy at The Portal Report. He was kind enough to share with me and The Boneyard some insights on Okonkwo:

James is a great shot blocker who can meet anybody at the rim on defense. He was originally a class of 2023 kid who reclassified to 2021 so he’s been a project for Huggs. This past season he was raw at the beginning but by B12 play looked more comfortable. He’s reliable to make a paint shot on offense but is trying to expand his range. He does need to improve on the speed of the game still.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

This would be a great addition and I think solidify us as preseason #1, plus he has two years of eligibility, it's easy to project him as a starter his second year. It would stink to have next year's championship run torpedoed because we lacked front court depth.

Why on earth would this move the needle so much that we'd move up 10 spots preseason? What are you even talking about?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Okonkwo would likely be our backup center, not the 13th guy. Nothing wrong with having a freshman sit a year if thats what happens.
I am assuming you are referring to Singare. There might be something wrong with it. Singare could get angry and decide to leave after this year. The question Hurley and staff would ask is are they better off 1) getting Okonkwo to back up Clingan with the risk of alienating Singare or are they better off 2) developing Singare now thinking it will pay greater dividends in the future years and maybe in February and March of this year? I don't know the answer to that, but those things would have to be considered by the coaching staff. Of course this assumes Singare is showing good skills in practices. Minutes have to be earned, not given, of course.

Apologies if other posts before mine stated this as I have not read through this entire thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am assuming you are referring to Singare. There might be something wrong with it. Singare could get angry and decide to leave after this year. The question Hurley and staff would ask is are they better off 1) getting Okonkwo to back up Clingan with the risk of alienating Singare or are they better off 2) developing Singare now thinking it will pay greater dividends in the future years and maybe in February and March of this year? I don't know the answer to that, but those things would have to be considered by the coaching staff.

Apologies if other posts before mine stated this as I have not read through this entire thread.
I bet Hurley and staff have a good idea of what they are doing

Reaction Score
Not too long ago there was some discussion about utilizing Stewart or Alex at the five playing small ball if Donovan was in foul trouble and Johnson struggled at the five.

Okonkwo is the ideal piece to shore up a significant weakness. It is not an overstatement to say this team has potential to go far this season.

It was very unlikely we could get an experienced decent player who would be willing to play ten minutes or less at the center. This could be the second time a WV player falls unexpectedly in our lap last minute. Things worked out quite well for us the first time.
Who was the other WVU player who transfered to UConn. My mind is blank...

Reaction Score
I bet Hurley and staff have a good idea of what they are doing
I am sure they do. They are not collecting talent like some fantasy sports player. They consider how the players fit their roster construction ideals and they have an eye on future years.

Reaction Score
Who was the other WVU player who transfered to UConn. My mind is blank...
All I can think of is Emmet Matthews, briefly a UConn commit, ending up at WV. Not sure about the other way around

Reaction Score

Why on earth would this move the needle so much that we'd move up 10 spots preseason? What are you even talking about?

Preseason rankings tend to be wildly off and are for the most part meaningless as we proved this year.

That said, I find it hard to believe there are 10 teams who deserve to be ranked higher than UConn preseason, we are loaded, our one weakness is proven frontcourt depth, add a guy like this and I don't see any weaknesses.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
What happens to Singare?? I see Samson as getting backup minutes at the 4/5 with Singare earning some PT through practice/scrimmages productivity. If you're saying DH already knows neither will perform as advertised.. And Okonkwo(or someone like him) is a necessary piece to complete the roster.. DH/staff pride themselves on skill development.. I expect Samson/Singare to benefit from that and be productive in the roles they earn.
If Clingan is gone after this year which is almost certain we will definitely need help in that front line. He's got 2 years left so that can help get us over the hurdle with him getting more time in his senior year and who knows for next year. He will also make a great practice player against Clingan and others.
I would like having him and Singare and as mentioned if Samson is going to shine it is likely as a 4. This kid looks like he can play 4-5 and looks like a real menace as a shot blocker and rebounder.

Reaction Score
If Clingan is gone after this year which is almost certain we will definitely need help in that front line. He's got 2 years left so that can help get us over the hurdle with him getting more time in his senior year and who knows for next year. He will also make a great practice player against Clingan and others.
I would like having him and Singare and as mentioned if Samson is going to shine it is likely as a 4. This kid looks like he can play 4-5 and looks like a real menace as a shot blocker and rebounder.
Add Pat N and you've got a solid group.. Not to mention Stewart and possibly AK (if he doesn't leave for NBA) as 4s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom