WV transfer: James Okonkwo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WV transfer: James Okonkwo

Reaction Score
Yeah even though we reached out, I'd sort of be surprised if we get him. Depends what he's looking for but I'd guess it's more likely he goes somewhere with a clearer path to playing time early.
Based on how we used DC and AS last year, Okonkwo may see himself in the role DC played last year............and see himself being able to develop in that role as DC did.
Plus, Okonkwo has less experience playing the game than AS did and looked how that worked out for AS under the tutelage of this group of coaches!

Reaction Score
Plus, Okonkwo has less experience playing the game than AS did and looked how that worked out for AS under the tutelage of this group of coaches!

Yup Okonkwo doesn't turn 20 until October. There is plenty of untapped upside there.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If he gets minutes ahead of Johnson, who has been on the team two years already, then Johnson being disgrunted and leaving isn't a big deal. Singare, in any event, as a raw big needs to be willing to sit this year if he's not good enough to play, and he already understands that already or we'd have a problem if he was just not playing behind DC and Johnson.

Compared to leaving the spot open, this makes perfect sense to me. And then if he comes here let the three compete for the minutes DC needs to rest.
Agree. There's nothing better to bring out the best than competition in practice. Especially in a position that requires aggression and the savvy to be teachable. I like depth chart sense in case of injury as well. Samson has yet to prove he has the physicality to play against our schedule of opponents without sustaining injuries.

Reaction Score
This team desperately needs a backup center and post player. Getting Okonkwo for 2 years is key to repeating and is a nice transition as DC is most likely gone after this season.

Reaction Score
We will not be preseason #1. We may not be in the top 10 and I can see why. Lots of questions.
We're going to be top 10. We have as many answers as questions and the pieces still fit really well together. We're huge with incredible rim protection, 2+ elite floor spacers, multiple guys who can attack the rim, and very good offensive and defensive schemes.

Reaction Score
This team desperately needs a backup center and post player. Getting Okonkwo for 2 years is key to repeating and is a nice transition as DC is most likely gone after this season.

Getting this kid from West Virginia who no one’s heard of is the key to repeating? Do you even believe this stuff when you post it? Why would getting him for 2 years be the key to repeating next year? That doesn’t even make sense.

Reaction Score
Agree. There's nothing better to bring out the best than competition in practice. Especially in a position that requires aggression and the savvy to be teachable. I like depth chart sense in case of injury as well. Samson has yet to prove he has the physicality to play against our schedule of opponents without sustaining injuries.

Lol…Although I do agree that he’s still unproven vs. BE comp, Samsons foot injury had nothing to do with not being able to handle the physicality of our opponents.

Reaction Score
They’re tough over there at WVU, so despite the lack of stats and minutes I’d always be willing to take a player from there especially given our unproven frontcourt depth

But I feel like the staff would be honest with him that his role would be insurance policy unless otherwise earned, and if I was him that wouldn’t sound appealing to me

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Getting this kid from West Virginia who no one’s heard of is the key to repeating? Do you even believe this stuff when you post it? Why would getting him for 2 years be the key to repeating next year? That doesn’t even make sense.

I trust the staff to evaluate.

Ask yourself this question - do we win the title without Joey C? Probably, but maybe not? Use that line of thinking to evaluate late transfers

Reaction Score

Granted would be a luxury addition but let’s not go as far as saying this transaction would be the key. We have enough talent in that roster now for someone to jump out and be an unexpected key. Hell it may be Sangare.

Reaction Score
Appreciate you making me smile & laugh this morning- so spot on lol.

Reaction Score
I think it's time to move on...

Yeah, this ain't happening nor do we want it to. The Kid should show a lot more urgency as most players are already on campus working out together. Is he just going to show up with the rest of campus on orientation day?

Reaction Score
Yeah, this ain't happening nor do we want it to. The Kid should show a lot more urgency as most players are already on campus working out together. Is he just going to show up with the rest of campus on orientation day?

The kid didn’t know his coach was going to get a DUI and have to retire. Give him some time to make a decision that could potentially impact his future?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Granted would be a luxury addition but let’s not go as far as saying this transaction would be the key.
Agreed. And let's turn it around, where is this guy going to go that will be a better fit for him? If he goes somewhere where he'll get more PT, chances are that team isn't going to the Dance. If comes here and does his job, he'll be a hero.

Reaction Score

IMO, a weird fit.

Bacot returns, they've added power forwards Jae'lyn Withers and Harrison Ingram already on the portal, plus they have young bigs Jalen Washington (#41 of '22) and Zayden High (#54 of '23) coming in.

caw

Reaction Score

So that’s five transfers in and seven out. Pretty crazy year for UNC fans. It’s an upgrade overall, especially with Cadeau coming in but it’s going to come down to seeing if Davis can actually coach, or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom