WSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WSU

Reaction Score
Would like to see our primary group be Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Wilson and Akok. Can go to Whaley/Carlton when Wilson/Akok need a blow or foul out. Adams/Gaffney when one of the other guys screws up.

Reaction Score
Don't really agree "we" lost game. Sure we a very imperfect team and we took lots of free throws but does that mean WSU didn't constantly foul us?

When it mattered the officials made 2 very bad calls in OT's (CV out if bounds & AG charge) that if either were called correctly we win. In real time it was obvious to broadcasters that CV saved the ball to AG and he wasn't out. If that call is correct we win probably don't you think?

So the narrative becomes what an amazing all-time comeback, not we lost because of AG turnovers.
[/QUOTE
The call is one most refs miss. I think it was 2014 when this was a point of emphasis for the year. The defender has to be established before the player takes off... not at contact.
There was also the time out instead of the jump ball and about a dozen other calls.

Also, I still don't understand this blow to the head junk.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Not reliably enough yet. Hitting a few shots now and then doesn’t make you a shooter. Being a guy who the other team dreads leaving open, ever, that makes you a shooter.
adams is not a 'shooter.' he is, however, developing an ability to 'score,' which is a very nice development in his second season here. more to come.

Reaction Score
Thanks Chief. Enjoyed the game. The fans chanted the truth. btw, CBS really thought what they were doing was a good idea? I got a headache, and think I got a cavity..

Reaction Score
Chief, good write up. A couple observations that I think will continue to hold us back.

1.) Our 6'11" center can't jump.

2.) We dont run any plays, or so it seems, for Bouk or Akok. To much Gilbert and Vital penetrate/turnover action, still.

C

Chief00

Great read Chief. But I still don't understand the save Vital made but the ball was awarded to WS?
I don’t either, there were two reviews that appeared from the XL video scoreboard as obvious over turn the calls items but the refs inexplicitly stuck to their original call. I don’t think they overturned any of their calls today. See a pattern? Stubborn, in denial of reality?

C

Chief00

Would like to see our primary group be Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Wilson and Akok. Can go to Whaley/Carlton when Wilson/Akok need a blow or foul out. Adams/Gaffney when one of the other guys screws up.
Agree, I would like to roll the dice on that and see if Akok gets overpowered or not?

C

Chief00

Chief, good write up. A couple observations that I think will continue to hold us back.

1.) Our 6'11" center can't jump.

2.) We dont run any plays, or so it seems, for Bouk or Akok. To much Gilbert and Vital penetrate/turnover action, still.
Your Number 2 in my opinion lost the game for us - although Vital seemed more under control. Gilbert really got jittery the second half - over penetrating and then throwing fast balls below the waist when guys are looking up for offensive rebounds. I thought he played great on the ball defense though.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Story of the game for me was missed 3 point shots. In one sequence early second half we took a 3 on 7 out of 8 possessions (6 in a row) and missed them all. What happened to Bouknight’s shot? Also could have won this game at the FT line. Missed way too many.

I have continued to believe that Sid is a guy who doesn’t respond to the critical, hard coaching style. Some guys do. Sid needs a coach who has confidence in him to play well. He put up a solid effort today on both ends. Something to build on.

Wichita State is so well coached. You simply do not go on runs against these guys. They make a play, a stop, a clutch hoop, something to halt that momentum. So fundamentally sound. They never let the last possession impact the other end or the next one. Unlike our guys who get emotional and do dumb things.
That last paragraph about WSU was so true - the press was the only thing that seemed to catch them a bit off guard. When you are so fundamentally sound it’s hard to go on a run against or shut them down for awhile.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Your Number 2 in my opinion lost the game for us - although Vital seemed more under control. Gilbert really got jittery the second half - over penetrating and then throwing fast balls below the waist when guys are looking up for offensive rebounds. I thought he played great on the ball defense though.
oh, so someone actually noticed the Nolan ryan fastball he threw at josh on that play? add it to the list of many other obvious things, both good and bad, that seem to get unnoticed here. my only real complaint about everything is why, for a good stretch now, do both cv and al consistently deflate us with, at least, a turnover each in the last few minutes? that's just weird. not hatin, just statin.

Reaction Score
I don’t either, there were two reviews that appeared from the XL video scoreboard as obvious over turn the calls items but the refs inexplicitly stuck to their original call. I don’t think they overturned any of their calls today. See a pattern? Stubborn, in denial of reality?

I agree that it was an awful call. It's just not reviewable. My question is, why were they reviewing a play that they were not allowed to overturn? I was at the game, so I don't know if the announcers gave any explanation.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree that it was an awful call. It's just not reviewable. My question is, why were they reviewing a play that they were not allowed to overturn? I was at the game, so I don't know if the announcers gave any explanation.

I was in the car and the announcers said that when they call someone out of bounds and it should have been a live ball had the call been overturned, they go to the possession arrow to determine who gets the ball. So they determined that CV wasn't out of bounds, but since it would've been a live ball they go by the arrow. It's a weird rule and I'm not sure the announcers had it right now but that was actually what I thought might happen when I heard they were reviewing it, so I'm assuming it's happened to us in the past.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing as did Lappas and Gillen. One of those two said they got word through one of the officials that they were checking the monitor for time. Personally I call BS. If you go back to the replay Danny was screaming for them to go to the monitor and was satisfied when they did. They spent a long time at the monitor even going back to check a couple of times for what was fairly obvious a blown call. At some point (perhaps when Gregg Marshall told them) they realized it wasn't reviewable because it did not involve more than one person going for the ball? I guess it is in the Stripes Handbook

Reaction Score
They couldn't review it because he went out of bounds by himself. If he went out fighting for it with a Wichita player they could have reviewed it. They were reviewing the clock they said.

That was the explanation the announcers gave, but it doesn't make any sense. The ball never went out of bounds so why should a rule apply concerning review of who touched it last, nobody did. It would seem to me that it was unreviewable because the rule does not apply to determining if a ball or player was in fact out of bounds, only who should get possession of an out of bounds ball.

Reaction Score
That was the explanation the announcers gave, but it doesn't make any sense. The ball never went out of bounds so why should a rule apply concerning review of who touched it last, nobody did. It would seem to me that it was unreviewable because the rule does not apply to determining if a ball or player was in fact out of bounds, only who should get possession of an out of bounds ball.

Exactly, it was unreviewable. So they used determining the clock as a reason. They messed up when they went to review it. The shouldn't have.

Reaction Score
Exactly, it was unreviewable. So they used determining the clock as a reason. They messed up when they went to review it. The shouldn't have.
How about holding the referee accountable for the call? These guys get paid big $ and to blow such an obvious call sucks. And the guy was standing right there. We deserve an apology from the league.

Reaction Score
How about holding the referee accountable for the call? These guys get paid big $ and to blow such an obvious call sucks. And the guy was standing right there. We deserve an apology from the league.

Sure, but that was not the original question. They blew the call. But, by rules, that can't check replay.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
adams is not a 'shooter.' he is, however, developing an ability to 'score,' which is a very nice development in his second season here. more to come.
scorers have a nose for the ball, and a brain to understand game opportunities. shooters have either a natural or highly developed talent to stroke the ball. either skill alone can be a recipe for success. often, there are stars who have both going on, and many end up in the nba. I firmly believe that young James is building a resume with both skills. yesterday, two plays are on example; the o board put back and foul (grit, brain reading the missed shot), and then his foul line handle d breakdown, followed by a 'sweet stroke' j. I have real expectations that mr gaffney may be heading in this direction, too. enjoy the ride, it's gonna be a fun one.

C

Chief00

Given everything since last season, Hurley is going to be extra tough on Sidney. Sidney will have to consistently prove to Danny that he had bought in to everything on a daily basis. While game performance is very important, Chief believes it has to be a wholistic buy/in and attitude on and off the court. This might seem unfair but I think Danny sincerely believes that’s in both Sidney’s and the team’s best interest. The raw talent is definitely there, but it needs to be refined and mature on and off the court.

Reaction Score

I know HS better than NCAA rules, but I'm pretty sure the refs can't.overturn that. They can check to see if WSU hit it out, but not if CV was actually in when he tapped it in.

If I'm that blatantly wrong, I'd probably just say WSU hit it. That old short ref was AWFUL.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Given everything since last season, Hurley is going to be extra tough on Sidney. Sidney will have to consistently prove to Danny that he had bought in to everything on a daily basis. While game performance is very important, Chief believes it has to be a wholistic buy/in and attitude on and off the court. This might seem unfair but I think Danny sincerely believes that’s in both Sidney’s and the team’s best interest. The raw talent is definitely there, but it needs to be refined and mature on and off the court.
in his second season, sid has demonstrated 'on the court' improvement. for example, his shot has a bit more arc and softness. take the grammar school kid for example. some have spent their entire lives bricking a layup, then, for some, the light bulb goes off and they suddenly get 'the hang of it.' I like mr wilsons capacity to grow and look forward to his continued development, especially since his minutes are necessarily going up. with years of time left to show all, and teach a few spines along the way to stiffen up, he's gonna show akok how to get nasty. sid's a playa.

Reaction Score
Agree, I would like to roll the dice on that and see if Akok gets overpowered or not?
Yep, gotta assume even if Akok is getting overpowered it can't get any worse. Despite his size Carlton just isn't effective guarding anyone in the post that can run and chew gum. I hate saying that because you can see that the effort is there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom