WOW | The Boneyard

WOW

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well that settles that. We are averaging over 105 pts in the last 3 games and our shooting percentage is off the charts. Over 56% last nite. I'll tell ya what....this is a team that will be a 1 seed. Charlie Creme was a little premature with his rankings imo. A Classic UConn game. Well the questions we had earlier in the season are being answered. ONO has shown some great improvement as has everybody else. We are playing like a T.E.A.M. Trailing to a red hot shooting SC team and making a come back and blowing SC out shows me a team with not quit. Winners never quit and quitters never win. This team showed me fight and discipline. I thought early on UConn was playing a little bit to fast and rushing their shots which is what I saw when they werent playing well a few weeks ago. They were under control and operating on all cylinders. What a fantastic performance against a very quick SC team. You can say what you want about seedings but I wouldnt want to be in UConns bracket with the way their scoring. Most teams dont play solid defense at every position. The way UConn is scoring it will be very difficult to beat them because most teams cant score with UConn. Im really excited and last nite was a gem . One of the best played games Ive seen. Some may nit pic but you know what...it wasnt a perfect game but it was a terrific game. We are rolling right now and our younger players are playing much better. UConn is going to be a very tuff out for the rest of season and post season.

We are going to the Top....the Very Top

Reaction Score
Well that settles that. We are averaging over 105 pts in the last 3 games and our shooting percentage is off the charts. Over 56% last nite. I'll tell ya what....this is a team that will be a 1 seed. Charlie Creme was a little premature with his rankings imo. A Classic UConn game. Well the questions we had earlier in the season are being answered. ONO has shown some great improvement as has everybody else. We are playing like a T.E.A.M. Trailing to a red hot shooting SC team and making a come back and blowing SC out shows me a team with not quit. Winners never quit and quitters never win. This team showed me fight and discipline. I thought early on UConn was playing a little bit to fast and rushing their shots which is what I saw when they werent playing well a few weeks ago. They were under control and operating on all cylinders. What a fantastic performance against a very quick SC team. You can say what you want about seedings but I wouldnt want to be in UConns bracket with the way their scoring. Most teams dont play solid defense at every position. The way UConn is scoring it will be very difficult to beat them because most teams cant score with UConn. Im really excited and last nite was a gem . One of the best played games Ive seen. Some may nit pic but you know what...it wasnt a perfect game but it was a terrific game. We are rolling right now and our younger players are playing much better. UConn is going to be a very tuff out for the rest of season and post season.

We are going to the Top....the Very Top

1549976212641.png

Reaction Score
I concur with your thoughts. This is nice moment when we can see pretty much 40 minutes of really good basketball played by the UConn women. You are right, they clawed back with a will to win and did not give up.

SC in the first 23 minutes of this game looks like they were playing like UConn with lots of passing, driving to the basket and finding the open player for the three. Looks like Dawn is going the Geno way in her lineup instead of just throwing the ball to one of her bigs on the inside. They will be a formidable team in the future and a hell of a program down the road.

Reaction Score
Right on, Tony.

Very important win. I call this game the “tipping point” for UConn, and things definitely “tipped” their way. Though Lou and 'Pheesa scored a bunch, this was really a team effort. Everyone contributed something. The chemistry, lacking for most of this season, was tremendous: it was pretty to watch and fun for the players. Happy Geno found good use of Liv, whose hands are really excellent. She still doesn't go to the hoop with gusto, but she seems to be trying. Coach was beside himself with praise for his freshman center. Christyn seemed especially happy as she bounced all over the place asserting herself (sometimes too energetically during her fly-bys) nonstop.

The D continues to be a work in progress. While the Huskies banked a load of points in the last three games, two of its opponents scored more than seventy. UConn's defensive underbelly remains soft, so it's fairly easy for the enemy to stop and pop uncontested from around the key. Those baskets are way too easy, whereas teams that shoot successfully from beyond the arc are pretty unstoppable. I hope the dynamic, energetic play of the last handful of games will tamp down opponents' scoring, and that UConn won't have to get into shoot-outs, which are unpredictable.

Well done, Huskies. We may have something to say about the NC after all . . .

Reaction Score
After a scorching start by South Carolina (10 for 11 from the field), UConn slowed them down and held them to 12 points in the third quarter. The defense might not be up to the best UConn teams, but it is not the sieve that some of this board suggest.

Reaction Score
this is a team that will be a 1 seed. Charlie Creme was a little premature with his rankings imo

Creme’s bracketology from 2/11/2019 does, in fact, have UConn as the #1 seed in Albany. The NCAA reveal is not Creme’s bracket...you should also keep in mind that his bracket isn’t really ‘his’...it’s his attempt to forecast what he believes the committee will do and not what he thinks the bracket should look like. Clearly, his latest bracket missed the mark a bit. Remember also, that, though it would be nice to be a #1, there is virtually no difference between UConn as #1 and Mississippi State as #2 in Albany, and the reverse.

Based upon either bracket, NCAA or Creme, it’s hard to how they don’t end up in the regional final.

Reaction Score
If UConn played like the first half, they lose during the regional. If they can play the whole game like the second half they are a FF contender. If CW played like she did and the big 3 played like they did, watch out, UConn peaking at the perfect time!!!

Reaction Score
If the “W” ladies, Williams & Walker, can enhance their confidence for shooting underneath the basket, we’re gonna go a long, long way! Last night was a major step in the right direction!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there and it was just amazing. It really had a NCAA tournament feel to it, the atmosphere was electric. SC couldn`t miss early on, and we were not defending well, the shots were pretty open. Fortunately, the defense tightened up a bit especially in the third quarter, ONO contributed significantly in that regard. The referees were letting them play for the most part, with some notable exceptions, and I think that benefitted UConn. At least we didn`t have to worry about significant foul trouble.

Lou and Pheesa knew they had to come up big and were determined to impose their will on the game. 39 minutes each and totally active and dominant.

I was happy to see that Pheesa took 23 shots, Lou 19 plus 8-8 free throws. SC had no answer to Pheesa inside, she made a number of easy shots inside and a number of amazing, "how did she get that to go in" shots. No one in college basketball finds the blue sky inside like she does. Pheesa kept us close when SC was on the tear to begin the game, and Lou took over to lead the third quarter charge, which was the best basketball they have played all season.

29 points for Lou with only one three pointer, showing off her versatility. SC could not defend the pick and roll, they were not coming out on it and the foul line jumper off the pick was there all night for her. Lou was also running the floor like never before and beat SC down the floor numerous times (once when Cooper came up limping), including Crystal`s amazing behind the back pass. Also posting up well inside against SC`s smaller guards.

CW was playing with a great deal of confidence and the shots are falling for her now. Perhaps the biggest play of the game was at the beginning of the second half when she got two offensive rebounds and a layup on a single possession, increasing the lead to three and setting the tone for the dominant third quarter.

SC will be a tough out in the NCAA Tournament. Cuevas-Moore, Harris and Cooper are really good. MSST plays at SC in early March, last game of the regular season, and then there is the SEC Tournament. It will be interesting to see if SC can hang with or even beat MSST, they gave them a game earlier this year for three quarters. UConn fans will be paying attention, obviously.

This team has found its mojo. The offense looks energized - the spacing is better, the movement crisper, and there seems to be an openness to the floor on offense that leads to layups and open shots. The lane seems more open. All five of the starters seem to be putting the ball on the floor more but that is opening up the passing game, rather than devolving into one on one hero ball.

Against both Temple and SC, we simply gave up too many open threes. I`m sure our coaching staff will be working to correct that. We are not a great defensive team, but when we are on I think we can outscore anybody.

Reaction Score
I temper my remarks by noting my bias of thinking we are always worse than we really are. I watch the game and think SC cannot miss a single shot, this is awful, we can't make a shot. SC went 9 for 10 from three and Lou was 1 for 8. Then I look at the post game actual stats. Oops on me. But it did seem like SC made a lot of 3's and their season stats from there are not that good. and when they missed, it still seemed like they missed open shots. I don't know if we are loose by design to avoid fouls or we are just slow to react to movement. I seem to recall Muffet last year had ND play a little loose on D in the first half of games to keep people out of foul trouble, then if they made it to the half and no one had more than one, or one person maybe had two, then she would have them ratchet it up. Maybe we did the same last night. As for the future, watching the Oregon - Stanford game was scary. As the announcer kept saying, they have at least 4 shooters who hit over 40% from 3. If we play them loose at all I will not want to see it. They were especially hot against Stanford. And I have to admit, much as I love Phee and was pushing her as NPOY and noting she was the only collegian on the national team, Ionesceau was really all she is hyped up to be. Scores, rebounds, defends, plays point, shoots the 3's, I really has to just sit back and be amazed. First time I had seen her this year. Hope this win boosts are RPI a bit. I was looking at RPI on the NCAA women's' page, and other than UCF, all the other teams in the AAC are really dogs. Next one was Cincy, down around 70 something. We can beat everyone in the AAC by 50 and our RPI goes down. Maybe if we beat UCF in regular season and we get them in the AAC finals, it might help a little, but if anyone upsets UCF before the final, then we only have one RPI boosting game left. I am of course assuming we will win out the season, regular, AAC, NCAA. Go Huskies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think UConn is capable of playing like they did in the second half against any other teams with the exception of Baylor and Miss St. IMO they don't match up well with the dominant post players both teams have. It will be more difficult to get points in the paint like they did last night. To beat those teams, they'll have to rely on their outside shooting. With a Good/Great Shooting night, UConn can beat any team out there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I temper my remarks by noting my bias of thinking we are always worse than we really are. I watch the game and think SC cannot miss a single shot, this is awful, we can't make a shot. SC went 9 for 10 from three and Lou was 1 for 8. Then I look at the post game actual stats. Oops on me. But it did seem like SC made a lot of 3's and their season stats from there are not that good. and when they missed, it still seemed like they missed open shots. I don't know if we are loose by design to avoid fouls or we are just slow to react to movement. I seem to recall Muffet last year had ND play a little loose on D in the first half of games to keep people out of foul trouble, then if they made it to the half and no one had more than one, or one person maybe had two, then she would have them ratchet it up. Maybe we did the same last night. As for the future, watching the Oregon - Stanford game was scary. As the announcer kept saying, they have at least 4 shooters who hit over 40% from 3. If we play them loose at all I will not want to see it. They were especially hot against Stanford. And I have to admit, much as I love Phee and was pushing her as NPOY and noting she was the only collegian on the national team, Ionesceau was really all she is hyped up to be. Scores, rebounds, defends, plays point, shoots the 3's, I really has to just sit back and be amazed. First time I had seen her this year. Hope this win boosts are RPI a bit. I was looking at RPI on the NCAA women's' page, and other than UCF, all the other teams in the AAC are really dogs. Next one was Cincy, down around 70 something. We can beat everyone in the AAC by 50 and our RPI goes down. Maybe if we beat UCF in regular season and we get them in the AAC finals, it might help a little, but if anyone upsets UCF before the final, then we only have one RPI boosting game left. I am of course assuming we will win out the season, regular, AAC, NCAA. Go Huskies.
The reason that teams take so many shots that they don’t usually make is because the defense is taking away the shots they DO want to take. Geno’s defensive strategy has always included making the opponent take shots from spots on the court that are uncomfortable for them. Sometimes the opponent makes the Huskies pay, often that’s not the case

Reaction Score
Collier was 0-3 from 3-range & is not a threat from 3. Plus she still is shooting poorly from ft line. Some of you are so quick to point out KLS weaknesses but conveniently ignore Collier's. An absent 3pt threat for a player who is not a big big is a hole in any top player's game in 2019.

Reaction Score
As I have remarked in the past, her 3 point percentage and free throw percentage have gone each year, which seems really unusual. But Lou's 3 percentage is also way down. Maybe it comes from playing more inside for Phee and up front for Lou, you get banged around and beat up more. The big problem I saw for Phee was when she shot against Baylor inside she got blocked a few times and almost quit trying to go inside. Realized it was hopeless. Brown and Cox were too tall, and Cox is really good at timing her jump to block. Could be same issue with T at Miss State, but she at least can occasionally get in foul trouble. It will be tough for us, but fun, I hope.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As I have remarked in the past, her 3 point percentage and free throw percentage have gone each year, which seems really unusual. But Lou's 3 percentage is also way down. Maybe it comes from playing more inside for Phee and up front for Lou, you get banged around and beat up more. The big problem I saw for Phee was when she shot against Baylor inside she got blocked a few times and almost quit trying to go inside. Realized it was hopeless. Brown and Cox were too tall, and Cox is really good at timing her jump to block. Could be same issue with T at Miss State, but she at least can occasionally get in foul trouble. It will be tough for us, but fun, I hope.
Last year Gabby and Kia were guarded carefully but this year Lou and Napheesa are the focus of the opponent’s defense. It follows that it would be harder to get a shot off. That why having Meg and Christyn scoring is so huge for the team- they will have to be guarded as well, freeing up Lou and Pheesa

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom