Wow! This puts the UNC scandal in perspective. | The Boneyard

Wow! This puts the UNC scandal in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is an incredible article. Rather than just put it on another thread, it deserves to be read and absorbed as the best piece on the UNC scandal to date. It provides something rarely seen in the press, context.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...al-wainstein-report-investigation-ncaa-102214

Here's a taste.

Minnesota’s men’s basketball program a one-year postseason ban, reduced scholarships and vacated a Final Four appearance because a secretary for longtime coach Clem Haskins had written papers (with his knowledge) for at least 18 players over a five-year period. In its report, the committee described the violations as “among the most serious academic fraud violations to come before it in the past 20 years. The violations were significant, widespread and intentional. More than that, their nature — academic fraud — undermined the bedrock foundation of a university and the operation of its intercollegiate athletics program.”

On Wednesday, Kenneth L. Wainstein released the results of an independent investigation into academic fraud at the University of North Carolina so massive in scope that the word serious hardly does it justice. If three rogue employees and 18 cheating basketball players over a five-year period at Minnesota merited those strong words, what will the NCAA eventually say about a bogus-class scheme in Chapel Hill that Wainstein found to involve more than 3,100 students — 47.4 percent of them athletes — over 18 years?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What will the NCAA do? Nothing - UNC will let them pass with self-imposed penalties.

Reaction Score
At first I was thinking nothing will happen, but I now believe that the ncaa will need to act, but it will be minor.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
At first I was thinking nothing will happen, but I now believe that the ncaa will need to act, but it will be minor.

This is getting out to the mainstream media. The NCAA will have the support of the P5 to do something severe.

However, in a year, the penalties will be reduced - ala Penn St - because of all the great progress at UNC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The key difference in the Minnesota example is the knowledge of the Head Coach. It's why the Wainstein report takes precautions to exclude the coaches from any wrong doing despite the circumstantial evidence that someone was directing athletes into the program.

This fact coupled with non students taking the classes shifts the issue to one of overall institutional academic integrity vs. an explicit act of the athletic program. It's the built in back door and one that's already been cited by the NCAA. The only thing that's changed from the first dismissal to this one is the severity and longevity of the issue. The excuse remains the same.

While the NCAA considers it a dangerous precedent to have to define what is or is not a course, the area where they have teeth here is to say that in the event there is a plainly evident "sham class" AND that sham class is dis-proportionally attended by major sports student athletes relative to their % of the student body than that is enough implicit evidence to find the Athletic Programs at fault.

If you do not do this the consequence is the other side of the precedent has been set. A fool proof model on how funnel athlete's through your academic program without educating them or risking penalty from the side the NCAA does enforce that we know all too well. Make the class available to all, decouple academic advising from the head coaches and you have plausible deniability and an area outside of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

I doubt the NCAA does the right thing here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And here comes Wetzel....

"Multi-sport postseason bans? Fines? Scholarship reductions? Death penalty? It all should be on the table. Here’s the chance for the enforcement process to be strong, authoritative and actually applauded. A school gave up on educating its students in pursuit of athletic glory. They didn’t … have to stay awake.
Because if the NCAA doesn’t stand up to that, then why would it and its president stand at all anymore?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-th...-emmert-s-chance-at-redemption-160034290.html

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA will try the NFL's playbook, but because this isn't a hotbutton issue, it should work.

They'll toss the weakest punishment out there that they think the public will stomach and hope that satisfies everyone.

Reaction Score
This is easily worse than SMU. Only Penn State exceeds it.

and Penn State has already gotten off easy after a couple of years... so my prediction in another post will probably be correct in UNC's punishment...

Reaction Score
and Penn State has already gotten off easy after a couple of years... so my prediction in another post will probably be correct in UNC's punishment...

What's not mentioned much because people are so sportscentric is that PSU for some reason shelled out $60m to the NCAA and thereby put a huge hurting on its yearly institutional budget, of which $200 million was fungible.

You know of any large entities that are dealing with a 10% reduction in budget in each of the last two years and into next? Yes, they did get off lightly on the football side. At the time I thought no football at all for a few years, but the B1G's TV contract wouldn't have allowed that.Plus the B1G wanted to take all of PSU's TV money and divvy it up.

Reaction Score
The key difference in the Minnesota example is the knowledge of the Head Coach. It's why the Wainstein report takes precautions to exclude the coaches from any wrong doing despite the circumstantial evidence that someone was directing athletes into the program.

This fact coupled with non students taking the classes shifts the issue to one of overall institutional academic integrity vs. an explicit act of the athletic program. It's the built in back door and one that's already been cited by the NCAA. The only thing that's changed from the first dismissal to this one is the severity and longevity of the issue. The excuse remains the same.

While the NCAA considers it a dangerous precedent to have to define what is or is not a course, the area where they have teeth here is to say that in the event there is a plainly evident "sham class" AND that sham class is dis-proportionally attended by major sports student athletes relative to their % of the student body than that is enough implicit evidence to find the Athletic Programs at fault.

If you do not do this the consequence is the other side of the precedent has been set. A fool proof model on how funnel athlete's through your academic program without educating them or risking penalty from the side the NCAA does enforce that we know all too well. Make the class available to all, decouple academic advising from the head coaches and you have plausible deniability and an area outside of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

I doubt the NCAA does the right thing here.

In the Minnestoa case, it was stated the coach didn't know but should have known.

The counselors made a presentation to the UNC coaches about Crowder's influence. What coaches?

Reaction Score
And here comes Wetzel....

"Multi-sport postseason bans? Fines? Scholarship reductions? Death penalty? It all should be on the table. Here’s the chance for the enforcement process to be strong, authoritative and actually applauded. A school gave up on educating its students in pursuit of athletic glory. They didn’t … have to stay awake.
Because if the NCAA doesn’t stand up to that, then why would it and its president stand at all anymore?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-th...-emmert-s-chance-at-redemption-160034290.html
I wonder if this was about the Kentucky basketball team whether Wetzel would write this article.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So, if they give University of Nothingbut Cheating the death penalty, does this men UConn has a chance to join the All Cheating Conference (ACC).
My bet is that Clem Haskins papers were all copied straight from the text. Oh wait, there were no texts.
Roy Williams should have stayed in Kansas where they get rid of whistle blowers "In
Cold Blood."

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
ESPN is a joke. Their segment on Sportscenter on this was literally like a minute long. This should have been their lead story.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this was about the Kentucky basketball team whether Wetzel would write this article.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I have my doubts. The guy writes well though, I'll give him that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The secret at unc is to take courses that the athletes tend to take and hope you are in the same classroom so when the prof gives a free pass to all you win. It was a great con game to disguise preferential treatment. I doubt a death penalty will even be close.

Reaction Score
I feel we need to throw Baylor in here. A player murdered another player and the coach tried to plant drugs with the victim to make it look like a drug crime.

I mean, if you're going to plant drugs on your player's corpse and then not even be mentioned among the worst of the worst, what's the point? I fear that Penn State has ruined things for future scum by setting the bar too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom