Wow - that was some crap there | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wow - that was some crap there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not going to make excuses for ko, but it must be tough to game plan when your dealing with personal issues.
Please tell me you meant to say 'personnel' issues, as in players. Every coach and player in the country has personal issues, so I am giving you the benefit of a typo.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
What a bunch of crap. I've been watching UConn for a long time, and when Calhoun was coaching, they won games all year long. This idea that we've always been some sort of shadow team that only shows up for the NCAA tournament is absolute nonsense, and it's completely downplaying how good this team used to be.
You get so caught up in trying to be a realist that you come off as a reactionary. And we have more than enough of those around here.

Reaction Score
How can you be so hyperbolic this early in the morning.

No part of my post was hyperbolic. You might want to make sure that you know what that word means.

Has anyone written on this board that UConn was a loser team in the past?

No, and this isn't what I said. You, like many others here, have handwaved away this team's poor play, insinuating that UConn always plays poorly for much of the year before turning it on at the tail end of the season, which isn't true.

And how long have you been a UConn fan?

As long as I've been a sports fan, dating back to when I was 6, the 89-90 season.

You honestly were unaware that Calhoun's teams peaked in February and carried it through? Really?

Please provide evidence that this is the case. Some month-by-month records for Calhoun-era teams would be a good start.

AND, furthermore, CBasketball is right about Calhoun sitting on the bench and not saying much in a fit of pique. HE DID DO THAT.

Has nothing to do with my point.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Isn't Ollie going through a divorce?

Maybe his mind was thinking about the lawyer bills! !

Reaction Score
No part of my post was hyperbolic. You might want to make sure that you know what that word means.

No, and this isn't what I said. You, like many others here, have handwaved away this team's poor play, insinuating that UConn always plays poorly for much of the year before turning it on at the tail end of the season, which isn't true.

As long as I've been a sports fan, dating back to when I was 6, the 89-90 season.

Please provide evidence that this is the case. Some month-by-month records for Calhoun-era teams would be a good start.

Has nothing to do with my point.

hy·per·bol·ic
ˌhīpərˈbälik/
adjective
  1. (of language) exaggerated; hyperbolical
You, like many others here, have handwaved away this team's poor play, insinuating that UConn always plays poorly for much of the year before turning it on at the tail end of the season, which isn't true.

HUGE exaggeration.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

LOL - I literally probably have underwear, definetly fatigues older than that!!

Love these wipper snappers these days that know it all...

Reaction Score
hy·per·bol·ic
ˌhīpərˈbälik/
adjective
  1. (of language) exaggerated; hyperbolical

HUGE exaggeration.

That's not hyperbole. Are you sure you know what insinuating means?

Reaction Score
What a bunch of crap. I've been watching UConn for a long time, and when Calhoun was coaching, they won games all year long. This idea that we've always been some sort of shadow team that only shows up for the NCAA tournament is absolute nonsense, and it's completely downplaying how good this team used to be.

how long have you been a fan? to me, UConn has had an identity of playing down to early season competition almost all the time. There are exceptions like the truly stacked taems, but even then, go back and check the results, I'm sure there were a few clunker losses there. Its why I never get upset and worried when we have those losses to Houston last year, or when we'd lose to Providence often even when they sucked and we were much better.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
how long have you been a fan?

When I was first a fan you had to walk uphill both ways to get to the game...

When I was first a fan it was called the Hartford Civic Center and there was NO BLUE colors on the BB floor...

When I was first a fan Perno was the coach and was selling insurance in the offseason...

When I first was a fan the speed limit was 70...

Any I missed that are about to come down the pike...

Reaction Score
how long have you been a fan? to me, UConn has had an identity of playing down to early season competition almost all the time. There are exceptions like the truly stacked taems, but even then, go back and check the results, I'm sure there were a few clunker losses there. Its why I never get upset and worried when we have those losses to Houston last year, or when we'd lose to Providence often even when they sucked and we were much better.

I just did look at the results. Under Calhoun, February was UConn's worst-performing month, with a .625 winning percentage. His teams were generally stronger in January (.654), and obviously even better in November(.888)/December(.874). March was in the middle (.673), and April was great (.800), but given the fact that those were tournament-heavy months, I'm not sure how to consider that, since you're going to play very few games in the years you stink and a lot more games in the years you're great.

Reaction Score
That's not hyperbole. Are you sure you know what insinuating means?

Exaggeration isn't hyperbole? You're exaggerating. no one on this board stated that UConn used to lose a lot of games early. NO ONE.

A few of us said that the team often had January funks and came out of it in February under Calhoun. We also said Calhoun would sometimes sit on the bench like Ollie did last night. In fact, last year's team had quite a funk in the American in January, as you might recall.

Reaction Score
Exaggeration isn't hyperbole? You're exaggerating. no one on this board stated that UConn used to lose a lot of games early. NO ONE.

A few of us said that the team often had January funks and came out of it in February under Calhoun. We also said Calhoun would sometimes sit on the bench like Ollie did last night. In fact, last year's team had quite a funk in the American in January, as you might recall.

Bizarre semantic argument aside, you're still wrong. UConn teams under Calhoun won more often in January than they did in February.

Reaction Score
I just did look at the results. Under Calhoun, February was UConn's worst-performing month, with a .625 winning percentage. His teams were generally stronger in January (.654), and obviously even better in November(.888)/December(.874). March was in the middle (.673), and April was great (.800), but given the fact that those were tournament-heavy months, I'm not sure how to consider that, since you're going to play very few games in the years you stink and a lot more games in the years you're great.

You have to take into account that Calhoun was at UConn almost a decade before he had consistent results. The Dream Season was an outlier in his first 9 years. It wasn't until 1995 that the team started having regular success going to Final 8s. I'd love to see the breakdown of February versus January from 1995 on, because 1987 to 1994 was a very different beast.

Reaction Score
Bizarre semantic argument aside, you're still wrong. UConn teams under Calhoun won more often in January than they did in February.

I'm just saying, calm down and stop exaggerating. No one here said UConn used to be a school that lost lots of games in January.

Reaction Score
You have to take into account that Calhoun was at UConn almost a decade before he had consistent results. The Dream Season was an outlier in his first 9 years. It wasn't until 1995 that the team started having regular success going to Final 8s. I'd love to see the breakdown of February versus January from 1995 on, because 1987 to 1994 was a very different beast.

Done and done: still better in January, though it's closer. From 95-96 through 11-12, UConn was 108-51 (.679) in January and 95-46 in February (.674). You're still wrong.

I'm just saying, calm down and stop exaggerating. No one here said UConn used to be a school that lost lots of games in January.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm very calm. Several posters have implied that early-season losses aren't worth worrying about because UConn is a team that has always excelled in the postseason regardless of regular-season results. I don't believe that to be the case. I don't feel that I'm exaggerating at all.

Reaction Score

I'm not going to make claims that under calhoun or ollie we were specifically better or worse in different months, just that as a program, we've always been prone to some odd losses, where we show up and just don't look ready to play that day. Its because of this that no matter how awful a loss, it never makes me question the team's skills on the whole, it happens. Also, I'm sure this is how most teams feel, since its how it goes "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose"

Reaction Score
Didn't know everyone handles things the same way. Thank you for that excellent assessment.

Yes, that was exactly the point I was making that everyone handles divorce the same way.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to make claims that under calhoun or ollie we were specifically better or worse in different months, just that as a program, we've always been prone to some odd losses, where we show up and just don't look ready to play that day. Its because of this that no matter how awful a loss, it never makes me question the team's skills on the whole, it happens. Also, I'm sure this is how most teams feel, since its how it goes "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose"

Sure, but everyone loses weird games sometimes. Duke just lost consecutive games to NC State and Miami. I don't think that even the juggernaut UConn teams were unusual in their propensity to lose regular-season games, particularly to conference foes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom