Wow, Is there really an ACC curse? | The Boneyard

Wow, Is there really an ACC curse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there really an ACC curse? Maybe yes.

The evidence:
BCU - not only have their football and basketball programs gone into the toilet. They've crashed through the bottom of that toilet and into a larger, stinkier toilet below that in the basement.
Syracuse - Rightly or wrongly, (I say "rightly") The Fine Situation will damage and scar their program for the foreseeable future.
Pitt - In the last few days they lost their football coach and (possibly) their best young BB player.
Miami - Their Football and Basketball programs have been on a somewhat downward trajectory since leaving the Big East. Plus, the Penn St/SU scandals have overshadowed it a bit, but they had their own monstrous scandal this year. Just not of the child abuse variety.
Virginia Tech - Their football situation has been okay. But, didn't they have a stretch of like 3 straight torturous years where they were the last team out of the tournament on Selection Sunday....which resulted in a lot of Seth Greenberg begging and crying?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's the gift of money. The ACC tells the new ADs they can suck with impunity: the Swoffords of the the world will bake their cakes.

All that hustle and striving in the Big East was for naught. They can relax, enjoy the sun, and enjoy their new found professionalism

The ADs can forever remind their University President about how they orchestrated the move together (and testify to that fact before the compensation hearings for the U President) and never face so much as a reprimand for grotesque program mismanagement.

The bills are paid. The money's rolling in. Suck? Let's suck down a Pina Colada at the winter ADs conference!

Reaction Score
CBS reports that Birch is flying home to Toronto....... Thanking Pitt for his time there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It appears the answer is yes.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Durand Scott. He chose to go to the ACC so that his team could go to double overtime against mid-majors.

Reaction Score
I get confused seeing a post/thread like this when the fact of the matter is that UConn wants to get into the ACC very badly. ACC curse and VTech? I fail to see it. You include them because their basketball program -- which was never good -- has failed to make the tournament? Their football program is better than anything the BE has to offer.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I get confused seeing a post/thread like this when the fact of the matter is that UConn wants to get into the ACC very badly. ACC curse and VTech? I fail to see it. You include them because their basketball program -- which was never good -- has failed to make the tournament? Their football program is better than anything the BE has to offer.
You're being too logical.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Seriously? Christ all mighty.....
It certainly can be construed as sick to add this to the "Curse" thread. Personally, I didn't get the impression by adding it to this tongue and cheek thread, that the poster was being disrespectful or undermining the severity of those events at VT. I think he knows how horrific those events were. Putting them in this thread does not reduce that horror, unless we decide that. That is a personal decision about what is tasteful and what isn't and that is very subjective.

Reaction Score

I understand that an ACC offer is something we'd have to accept and I grudgingly hope that it does indeed happen. But that doesn't mean I have to embrace it wholeheartedly and erase everything I don't like about the ACC out of my memory. Frankly, I hope that if we ever get in.....that we burn the sucka down from the inside. :)

As for VaTech,
My overall point was that the overall trajectory of the 5 turncoat teams/schools has been a downwards one. Yes, Hokie football is respectable, but a couple weeks ago I saw some CFB talking heads bring up the prospect of maybe the BCS calculations granting them a birth in the National Title game and there was widespread laughter at the notion. In the Big East, they actually played for national titles and now that thought inspires laughter.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It certainly can be construed as sick to add this to the "Curse" thread. Personally, I didn't get the impression by adding it to this tongue and cheek thread, that the poster was being disrespectful or undermining the severity of those events at VT. I think he knows how horrific those events were. Putting them in this thread does not reduce that horror, unless we decide that. That is a personal decision about what is tasteful and what isn't and that is very subjective.

Any implied tethering of those campus shootings to the consequence of deciding to switch conferences is inappropriate, no matter the intent.

Reaction Score
Do the naysayers in this thread actually believe their fellow Boneyarders are superstitious and believe in curses?

Hmmmm, excuse me while I go out back and make my morning blood sacrifice. The chickens are expecting me.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Do the naysayers in this thread actually believe their fellow Boneyarders are superstitious and believe in curses?

Hmmmm, excuse me while I go out back and make my morning blood sacrifice. The chickens are expecting me.
Chicken blood? Amateur!

Reaction Score
And go get the wings, rolling rock, and haikus ready as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Any implied tethering of those campus shootings to the consequence of deciding to switch conferences is inappropriate, no matter the intent.
I would totally agree with you if the poster chose to laugh at those incidents. If that poster felt that VT deserved their fate because they went to the ACC I would agree with you. I didn't get that impression. Those shootings were a "curse" in my book. Tethering a serious event to humor is certainly going to get criticism, and I'm not against the criticism. I think the reaction to it displays the various ways we view appropriateness and inappropriateness.

A lot of bad things have happened to former BE teams since joining the ACC. That doesn't mean we are seriously implying the ACC is cursed. Nor does any levity regarding this matter reduce the seriousness of the VT incidences. I think what is equally important as the VT incident is how widely different each and every one of us thinks. And some of us respect that and some of us have trouble respecting that. I respect your opinion even as I disagree with it for this particular case based on the merits of the situation and how the poster presented the issue. It is purely subjective for me meaning I don't intend to start a campaign on how anyone should react in this matter.

Reaction Score

thanks fleud. you get where i was coming from. in no way shape or form do i find anything funny or tongue and cheek what happened at that school which there was yet another incident of a similar nature on the campus recently. i just mentioned it because i dont mind calling out the elephant in the room even if it may be a little uncomfortable for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom