Reaction Score
with all that KML was doing Bria's performance got lost in the discussion

go Ms Hartley

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
with all that KML was doing Bria's performance got lost in the discussion

go Ms Hartley

If that's the Bria we see in most games, this team will be very tough to beat.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
At one point in the first half John A. tweeted that Geno had called time out to yell at Bria. I guess it worked.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
At one point in the first half John A. tweeted that Geno had called time out to yell at Bria. I guess it worked.

Yeah, even though KML made the bad pass Geno didn't like the way Bria initiated the offense. Like I said in the other thread, everything that goes wrong is her fault.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Ya know, DC, that's not a bad comparison at all.

My recollection is that Geno hardly ever yelled at Kesha. Anybody remember if that's correct and if so why?

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Geno hardly ever yelled at Kesha. Anybody remember if that's correct and if so why?
Yep, Kesha was called "Precious" by the rest of the team

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Couple possibilities:

-Geno legitimately felt the main problem with the play was Bria passing into a corner in a way that was going to cause KML to be double teamed.

-Geno knows Bria can take it and maybe also knows that KML is the type who will feel bad seeing someone get yelled at for something she could have prevented. That's utter speculation on my part, but certainly Geno is exceptional about knowing what buttons to push.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Couple possibilities:

-Geno legitimately felt the main problem with the play was Bria passing into a corner in a way that was going to cause KML to be double teamed.

-Geno knows Bria can take it and maybe also knows that KML is the type who will feel bad seeing someone get yelled at for something she could have prevented. That's utter speculation on my part, but certainly Geno is exceptional about knowing what buttons to push.

I think you are correct on point #1 -- Bria should have read the defense and anticipated the double team coming. It was pretty clear that nothing good was going to come from making that pass to KML as she really had no good options but to immediately pass the ball back.

Geno's comments on his last couple of shows tell me that Bria is taking the brunt of his criticisms. He did once tell Sue Bird
that as long as she understood that everything that goes wrong on the court is her fault, she'll become a decent point guard. I do think Bria is getting the same treatment from Geno because the team needs her to make great decisions with the ball and because he sees just how good she can be.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Geno's comments on his last couple of shows tell me that Bria is taking the brunt of his criticisms. He did once tell Sue Bird
that as long as she understood that everything that goes wrong on the court is her fault, she'll become a decent point guard. I do think Bria is getting the same treatment from Geno because the team needs her to make great decisions with the ball and because he sees just how good she can be.

That is the bottom line, I think. He sees the immense talent; it seems to be a lot of people don't fully appreciate it because she's got lots of rough edges still, and Geno thinks there is a chance it can be polished to its brightest. Bria seems to have the rare ability to stand tallest when the stakes are greatest.

HGN

Reaction Score
Speedo, i think some kids can take Geno's yelling, digest it, correct their error , and move on....Others may really withdraw and go into a shell. I think Geno evaluates who can take the public criticisms and who may go into a shell and he coaches them accordingly. Bria may can take it and move on. KML on the otherhand, may withdraw into a shell, be scared to shoot , or don't shoot with confidence......... I think Geno knows what he's doing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Speedo, i think some kids can take Geno's yelling, digest it, correct their error , and move on....Others may really withdraw and go into a shell. I think Geno evaluates who can take the public criticisms and who may go into a shell and he coaches them accordingly. Bria may can take it and move on. KML on the otherhand, may withdraw into a shell, be scared to shoot , or don't shoot with confidence......... I think Geno knows what he's doing.
thats why I dont buy that "its Bria fault that KML got trapped in the corner thats why Geno yelled at".

He was in Bria's face but KML heard him loud and clear

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
thats why I dont buy that "its Bria fault that KML got trapped in the corner thats why Geno yelled at".

He was in Bria's face but KML heard him loud and clear
A two-fer! Very economical of Geno. :)

Reaction Score
Yup, this is definitely Sue's "everything bad that happens on the court is your fault." My favorite was when she was on the bench, and she still got yelled at.

He's said on his show, "We expect everything Bria does to be great, and if it's not, I yell at her." She's a young player, she's got some rough edges like any other young player. But I personally think she's talented enough to leave the school as Uconn's best PG ever.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno said in his post-game presser last night that he goes to practice every day looking for something to criticize in Bria's play. He talked about how much she has to learn but also how much she's improved over last year and how she gets better every day. I don't know that she'll surpass Sue or Jen as the schools best pg, but she'll leave as a terrific player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yup, this is definitely Sue's "everything bad that happens on the court is your fault." My favorite was when she was on the bench, and she still got yelled at.

He's said on his show, "We expect everything Bria does to be great, and if it's not, I yell at her." She's a young player, she's got some rough edges like any other young player. But I personally think she's talented enough to leave the school as Uconn's best PG ever.
Maybe it was Geno's way of letting Sue--she was in attendance--know that he has not mellowed. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno said in his post-game presser last night that he goes to practice every day looking for something to criticize in Bria's play. He talked about how much she has to learn but also how much she's improved over last year and how she gets better every day. I don't know that she'll surpass Sue or Jen as the schools best pg, but she'll leave as a terrific player.
He has high expectations of her and will push her. She definitely could get her name on a certain wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom