Wow, 2 mid-season transfers from Clemson | The Boneyard

Wow, 2 mid-season transfers from Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Granted, they're a bad team (2-7, with losses to Presbyterian, Montana St, SIU Edwardsville, & SoCar St), but still pretty unusual to have 2 mid-season transfers from a school.

[URL='https://twitter.com/ASGR1995']Bret McCormick@ASGR1995[/URL]
Chelsea Lindsay 5-7 Sophomore PG is leaving Clemson. She is from Hillside HS NC. AAU team Triangle Lady Knights.Has two & a half years left.

Expand

Bret McCormick@ASGR1995
Danaejah Grant 5-8 Freshman guard from Clemson is transferring at the semester. She is from Piscataway NJ. Played AAU for the Gauchos.

Expand

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They've been beyond horrible. Coach was a grad, and has done nothing.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I wonder if Rutgers will go after Grant. I believe she was on our radar for a period of time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
wow... and this was a year that Clemson was gonna get out of the basement of the ACC. Guess it wont happen now.... the coach was a star at Clemson.... i wonder if they will keep her around after this season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Clemson used to be near the bottom in ACC Football and now it can be argued they're the best team in the ACC or at least 2nd best after Florida State. If they can accomplish that in football it seems with the right resources and coach they should be able to build a respectable WBB program. If Clemson can somehow get the elite talent that comes out of South Carolina on an annual basis, it would only take 3 or 4 years to get to the upper levels in the ACC. They wouldn't be the best team, but at least they'd be respectable.

Reaction Score
Clemson used to be near the bottom in ACC Football and now it can be argued they're the best team in the ACC or at least 2nd best after Florida State. If they can accomplish that in football it seems with the right resources and coach they should be able to build a respectable WBB program. If Clemson can somehow get the elite talent that comes out of South Carolina on an annual basis, it would only take 3 or 4 years to get to the upper levels in the ACC. They wouldn't be the best team, but at least they'd be respectable.

When were they near the bottom in FB? I recall them winning the NC in the early 80s.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Tommy West era: 1993–1998

Tommy West replaced Ken Hatfield at the end of the 1993 season, coaching the Tigers to a 14-13 victory in the 1993 Peach Bowl against Kentucky. West had a 31–28 record during his five seasons at Clemson and led the Tigers to three bowl games but no ACC championships. West was fired after a dismal 1998 campaign which saw Clemson go 3-8 and finish last in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that was a rare bad year. Clemson football generally has been very good - unlike its women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Tommy West era: 1993–1998

Tommy West replaced Ken Hatfield at the end of the 1993 season, coaching the Tigers to a 14-13 victory in the 1993 Peach Bowl against Kentucky. West had a 31–28 record during his five seasons at Clemson and led the Tigers to three bowl games but no ACC championships. West was fired after a dismal 1998 campaign which saw Clemson go 3-8 and finish last in the ACC.

One year.
In 21 of the last 25 years, they've gone to a bowl game. And none of the 4 bad years were consecutive.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think a more apt comparison would be their men's basketball program. They were never competitive, but hired Rick Barnes out of Providence and had a great run, knocking off Duke and UNC, and were ranked #1 in the country at one point.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think a more apt comparison would be their men's basketball program. They were never competitive, but hired Rick Barnes out of Providence and had a great run, knocking off Duke and UNC, and were ranked #1 in the country at one point.

Actually they won the ACC regular season (back when the ACC was a really good conference) in 1990. They were also pretty good back in 1987 as well. Powerful front lines..... average at best backcourts

Reaction Score
Actually they won the ACC regular season (back when the ACC was a really good conference) in 1990. They were also pretty good back in 1987 as well. Powerful front lines..... average at best backcourts

Ah yes, Clemson Men's BBall in 1990. They had a dramatic end to their season. One or two UConn fans might recall it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ah yes, Clemson Men's BBall in 1990. They had a dramatic end to their season. One or two UConn fans might recall it.

:( :(:( I was hoping for a Clemson-Duke Regional Final that year.

Reaction Score
Granted, they're a bad team (2-7, with losses to Presbyterian, Montana St, SIU Edwardsville, & SoCar St), but still pretty unusual to have 2 mid-season transfers from a school.

[URL='https://twitter.com/ASGR1995']Bret McCormick@ASGR1995[/URL]
Chelsea Lindsay 5-7 Sophomore PG is leaving Clemson. She is from Hillside HS NC. AAU team Triangle Lady Knights.Has two & a half years left.

Expand
Bret McCormick@ASGR1995
Danaejah Grant 5-8 Freshman guard from Clemson is transferring at the semester. She is from Piscataway NJ. Played AAU for the Gauchos.

Expand

To belabor a point, the young lady, having appeared in at least one game in her freshman and sophmore seasons has, at most, two full seasons of eligibility remaining; Provided, she transfers and sits out the entire 2013-2014. She can, of course, opt to return as soon as she is eligible which will be about this time next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They picked up an AA recruit, Jonquel Jones from Riverdale Baptist. I though things were looking up.

Reaction Score
Clemson is taking a nose dive. Likely home for Jones is George Washington

Reaction Score
Apparently they've got a transfer from Louisville eligible in a few days, so that should help with numbers. But, I've never ever heard of 3 mid-year transfers!

At the bottom of the article linked above, there is a Clemson message board and someone who claims the team is playing better without these freshman and maybe the newbies werent ready for college. But 3 just seems like an awful lot.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Apparently they've got a transfer from Louisville eligible in a few days, so that should help with numbers. But, I've never ever heard of 3 mid-year transfers!

At the bottom of the article linked above, there is a Clemson message board and someone who claims the team is playing better without these freshman and maybe the newbies werent ready for college. But 3 just seems like an awful lot.

Grant was their leading scorer. And some of her comments are quite telling to me.

“When I committed there I thought that I had players around me who thought the same way I did, but things changed during that process,” Grant said. “Everybody doesn’t have the same aspirations or outlook on basketball. I couldn’t be too upset, but I felt like for myself and the player I am I had to remove myself from the situation instead of being upset with everybody else.”

Reaction Score
Clemson beat Providence 62-47 last night with 5 guards and 2 center-forwards. Everybody got at least 19 minutes. It may be too early in the season for freshmen to expect substantial minutes in this situation. Leaving at semester break is awkward because you wind up finishing your career somewhere just as conference play starts.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Clemson beat Providence 62-47 last night with 5 guards and 2 center-forwards. Everybody got at least 19 minutes. It may be too early in the season for freshmen to expect substantial minutes in this situation. Leaving at semester break is awkward because you wind up finishing your career somewhere just as conference play starts.
It doesn't work quite like that. If I understand correctly, if you are now a soph you either start at your next year in mid-season and play one more year, or wait and play 2 full. You don't end in the middle of the season.

On a separate note, I agree that Itoro (Umoh) Coleman has done little as Clemson coach, but this is only her 3rd season. If her team wasn't apparently self distructing, I would think she might have had another season.

Incidently, Clemson was not completely horrible in WBB about 15 years ago, but the coach whose name escapes me (balding gentleman) turned out not to be a gentleman at all and got fired. After that things went south.

Reaction Score
It doesn't work quite like that. If I understand correctly, if you are now a soph you either start at your next year in mid-season and play one more year, or wait and play 2 full. You don't end in the middle of the season.

Correct. There is no such thing as a 1/2 year of eligibility. Any player who transfers mid-season has used up 1 year. If she chooses to play the second semester next season, that's another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom