Would you trade the streak for the ntl title? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you trade the streak for the ntl title?

Reaction Score
If I'm being selfish, yes, I'd trade the streak for another title.

However, I think both the streak and someone new winning the title (one team with the highest attendance, one that's never been to the Final Four the two possibilities) are good the NCAA women's basketball. So for the good of the game, I'm glad it worked out this way.
It's also good that the new US coach just won the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Saying you want a National Title instead of the streak is the PC thing to say. You are supposed to want to win a title. The thing though is that the streak will probably be remembered more than a Nattty. Everyone expected them to win the NC so it really would have meant little. To have a streak that long requires far more than winning a National Championship. To win a Natty you basically have to put together two weeks of really good basketball. ( the first two games should be gimmies ). To have a streak of 111 games over multiple season requires far more. Hey look how many different teams have won a Natty and compare that to the ones that have a streak coming even close to the last two Uconn accomplished. None!

With a good team you can win a Natty with a bit of luck. You need more than just a good team and luck to get a streak of 111 games.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Saying you want a National Title instead of the streak is the PC thing to say. You are supposed to want to win a title. The thing though is that the streak will probably be remembered more than a Nattty. Everyone expected them to win the NC so it really would have meant little. To have a streak that long requires far more than winning a National Championship. To win a Natty you basically have to put together two weeks of really good basketball. ( the first two games should be gimmies ). To have a streak of 111 games over multiple season requires far more. Hey look how many different teams have won a Natty and compare that to the ones that have a streak coming even close to the last two Uconn accomplished. None!

With a good team you can win a Natty with a bit of luck. You need more than just a good team and luck to get a streak of 111 games.

The 111 game streak was more difficult than a single championship. I agree. But that wasn't the original question.

I'm not sure everyone expected them to win the NC, but it certainly would not have meant little.
Remember we're talking about the 111 game streak; if we had a lost a game prior to the NCAAs, the streak would have been anywhere from 74 to 107. UConn also already owns the then leading 90 game streak prior.

So, the question really is:

A. 90-game streak, and 74-107 game streak and 12 overall NCs (with 5 straight NCs and the potential for more)
vs.
B. 90-game streak, 111-game streak (currently 0); 11 overall NCs

B is reality, but I would prefer A.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'd rather have extended the streak of NCs to five at the expense of the winning streak ending. I wouldn't have cared if it ended vs. Florida State if it meant winning the NC this season. About half the games during the streak were against AAC nobodies with zero chance of beating us. It's a great accomplishment, but people will knock it because we play in a pathetic conference for WCBB.

Reaction Score
You can't win every game either, so I don't get your point.
We have another shot for title #12. You guys want another 111 game streak?

Knock it? I wouldn't say so. We beat ranked teams. It's not as if UCLA played all powerhouses during their 88 game winning streak. That streak was ended by Notre Dame, who has yet to win a title in men's basketball.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The thing though is that the streak will probably be remembered more than a Nattty. Everyone expected them to win the NC so it really would have meant little.

D'Oh? Expectations in October for this team were to win the national championship? Really?

Would have meant little? No, I don't think so. It would've been one of Geno's greater jobs of coaching.

Reaction Score
The question is a very provocative one. And I like many of the arguments on both sides. The reason why I cannot commit to either is because the two choices leave me equally so very far from what we all hoped for and anticipated with each passing victory: an undefeated season, a 5th consecutive title, AND an ongoing 113 consecutive game winning streak. All dashed to smithereens in a single shot with no time on the clock.

We witnessed history in that game because, truth is, it is inconceivable that any basketball team will ever be in that position again.

Reaction Score
If I was a UConn fan I would want the title. It would be a 5th straight and who know when that streak would have ended. But I supposed it's moot.

Reaction Score
The NC. You can lose 2 or 3 games along the way during the season but there's only one national championship. The loses get forgotten. The championship lives on forever. Besides it would have been great if Saniya and Tierney had won a NC as seniors.

Reaction Score
The 111 game streak was more difficult than a single championship. I agree. But that wasn't the original question.

I'm not sure everyone expected them to win the NC, but it certainly would not have meant little.
Remember we're talking about the 111 game streak; if we had a lost a game prior to the NCAAs, the streak would have been anywhere from 74 to 107. UConn also already owns the then leading 90 game streak prior.

So, the question really is:

A. 90-game streak, and 74-107 game streak and 12 overall NCs (with 5 straight NCs and the potential for more)
vs.
B. 90-game streak, 111-game streak (currently 0); 11 overall NCs

B is reality, but I would prefer A.
Actually you are bringing in Qualifiers that were not part of the original question. The question was if one would prefer a 111 game winning streak to a National Championship. You forget that a 111 game winning streak would have to include two or more National Championships. The assumption was this last championship would be traded for the 111 streak. You are creating a scenario that would favor the Championship while still having a long streak but that was nor really the question. I mean I could do the same thing by creating a scenario where losing the streak also meant losing past championships. The choice was simple the 111 game winning streak vs the 2017 National Championship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Mississippi State game showed that nothing is certain. Though I like our chances, there is no guarantee that we get to NC #12 next year. Or ever. I'd like to see Geno have 15 or 16 when he retires, but it's possible that he will still have (only) 11.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Actually you are bringing in Qualifiers that were not part of the original question. The question was if one would prefer a 111 game winning streak to a National Championship. You forget that a 111 game winning streak would have to include two or more National Championships. The assumption was this last championship would be traded for the 111 streak. You are creating a scenario that would favor the Championship while still having a long streak but that was nor really the question. I mean I could do the same thing by creating a scenario where losing the streak also meant losing past championships. The choice was simple the 111 game winning streak vs the 2017 National Championship.

The qualifier implied in the original post was the streak this year. The OP @socal613ws gave the example of losing to FSU in the first game of the season. Obviously my opinion would be different with your choice.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt the NC is what it is all about every year. That is why UCONN doesn't cut down the nets after the elite eight victory, there is still unfinished business. Practically, the current team win streak was 36.

Reaction Score
I would trade the last 11 wins for a NC, but I really wanted them to get to 100 so ... tough choice if you are saying lose game #90.

I suggest that the 111 WINNING STREAK is much more memorable than a single NC. Miss St, a flawed team with losses, won the NC.
I takes STAYING power to accumulate 111 wins without a loss.
It's not that just any one can get to the NC---but apparently anyone in the top 10 can---how many could or will exceed 100 wins in a row? The 111 was and is a much more significant accomplishment than any SINGLE NC.
Having said that--a 5th NC--is equally exceptional --but isn't 4 NC 's unheard of in the hall of Women's or Men's Basketball
If UConn had to lose one of them--let it be the NC.
I agree UMiami ---100 was a nice outstanding record-- an the NC would have set Uconn so far from any other Men or Women's team ---it would be the first thing in the record books.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt the NC is what it is all about every year. That is why UCONN doesn't cut down the nets after the elite eight victory, there is still unfinished business. Practically, the current team win streak was 36.
Did you ever think-----to accumulate more than 39 wins a team must win the NC also???

Reaction Score
"Different" doesn't necessarily mean better mindset. Youth and inexperience are being thrown out for the MSU loss, a young inexperienced team losing the first game of the season could also easily have spiraled the entire season out of control and nobody would have been talking about the streak. This team build on that close call at FSU into a win over Baylor, into a wins @ND, @ MD, & SC =undefeated regular season.

These 2016/17 Uconn kids did what they could--what Geno could pull from them--they had nothing more to give--. If they played Miss St a week later--different story I think--no one truly knows how or why Uconn couldn't make shots they normally made--

I agree any loss along the way could have ---changed the rest of the season--with young/inexperienced kids--there is no prediction of what they will do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom