Would you trade the streak for the ntl title? | The Boneyard

Would you trade the streak for the ntl title?

Reaction Score
All hands should be up, there is no doubt imo that if they had lost that 1st game to fsu, they woulda been a different mindset in the year. I just feel the streak being shoved down people's throats every espn segment for the past 1month+ has put all the pressure in the world and it really isn't fair considering most of these players(aside 1) was part of all the streak.

Reaction Score
I recall this topic prior to the season. Most wanted a title, but there were few that wanted the streak as they put it, "it's a once in a lifetime achievement vs a natty which is more *common*"

Reaction Score
The streak made history, a NC would just be #12. Everyone that played during that streak will be there forever.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Would I trade the streak for a national title?

In an instant. UConn already held the record for consecutive victories. UConn doesn't already have title #12 :)

But, the streak is a nice thing, no doubt.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All hands should be up, there is no doubt imo that if they had lost that 1st game to fsu, they woulda been a different mindset in the year. I just feel the streak being shoved down people's throats every espn segment for the past 1month+ has put all the pressure in the world and it really isn't fair considering most of these players(aside 1) was part of all the streak.
"Different" doesn't necessarily mean better mindset. Youth and inexperience are being thrown out for the MSU loss, a young inexperienced team losing the first game of the season could also easily have spiraled the entire season out of control and nobody would have been talking about the streak. This team build on that close call at FSU into a win over Baylor, into a wins @ND, @ MD, & SC =undefeated regular season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would trade the last 11 wins for a NC, but I really wanted them to get to 100 so ... tough choice if you are saying lose game #90.

Reaction Score
The longest win streak is something special. How often have you heard people talk about UCLA's 1995 title. About never, and often do they talk about UCLA's win streak, or Lou Gehrig, or Joe DiMaggio's streaks. Indeed, there has been a lot of talk about our previous streak of 90 wins, not so much of Texas A&M title of that year. We will get the 12th title, but the 111 games is truly special. After we made the record, Geno even talked about how special it was. Before we had the streak, he belittled it, to take the pressure off the team. So yes, I would keep the streak.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't trade the streak for a title. Now if it was title #1; yeah give up the streak. But our girls were going to for title #12 plus 5 Championships in a row. Keep winning. It might sound selfish and unsportsmanlike. But, in the words of Herm Edwards, "you play to win" That winning streak is something special and hard to do. Title #12 will come but will we ever have #111 or #112 game winning streak again? Who knows. But man it was special and fun to watch. I sure that our girls experienced a ton of pressure to keep the streak going.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Where in the trophy case is the trophy for the streak?

For UConn Women's basketball the streak was 111. For this current team, however, (Crystal Dangerfield thru Chong) the streak was only 36. And I (and this team, I'm sure) would rather have a National Championship than a 36-game winning streak that ended in the National Semifinal.

Reaction Score
That's a solid argument. I'm not sure which side of the fence I come down on, but this isn't just a hypothetical scenario. Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Nat, and T have already experienced wining at least one National Championship, and five of those players will have another chance to win a national championship next season that belongs to them. Kia and Gabby played in the first 100 games of the streak, and Gabby played in every game of the streak. This team may not have ownership of the streak before this season, but those two players do. Of course in this moment they would trade the streak for a national championship, but in the long run the streak is going to be the more recognized accomplishment than UConn winning another national championship. Especially if they are able to win the National Championship next season.

For UConn Women's basketball the streak was 111. For this current team, however, (Crystal Dangerfield thru Chong) the streak was only 36. And I (and this team, I'm sure) would rather have a National Championship than a 36-game winning streak that ended in the National Semifinal.

Reaction Score
I don't know. "Different mindset"? It's a long, long season, with hundreds of hours of practice and hundreds of hours of basketball minutes. It is very difficult if not impossible to say with any reasonable justification that the season would have turned out differently had we lost the first game. A free-throw is not missed in the final four because we won the game against FSU. And so on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Ah, but who actually looks in the trophy case, and with Uconn's being ram packed with so many trophies most wouldn't actually notice if they did but rather just be overwhelmed by the number. On the other hand not just any winning streak, but one that dwarfs previous ones is mentioned all the time. The number 90 and Uconn came up frequently as will the number 111, as does 88, and 109, and 56. Can you tell me how many WS Joe won without looking it up? But 56 and Joe are synonymous.

DALTX

Reaction Score
Ah, but who actually looks in the trophy case ....

Pretty much every game, they show the championship banners hanging from the rafters.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, Geno and UConn are going to have a chance to win their 12th championship every year that he remains as coach. In fact 12th, 13th, 14th and on and on. The streak is just too difficult to compile ever again. Frankly the average basketball fan, who are MBB fans, hardly noticed the championships. But many sure did take notice of the streak and UConn BB as well. I say, thank goodness for the streak.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If I'm being selfish, yes, I'd trade the streak for another title.

However, I think both the streak and someone new winning the title (one team with the highest attendance, one that's never been to the Final Four the two possibilities) are good the NCAA women's basketball. So for the good of the game, I'm glad it worked out this way.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
But 56 and Joe are synonymous.

It seems as if the streak is more well-known because it's Joe DiMaggio and not the other way around. Joe's supporters point to it as another reason why Joe is great. I'd rather hit .406 than have the 56-game streak and, likewise, another title over the winning streak.

Streaks are statistical oddities. Titles are the things that teams play for.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Ah, 3but who actually looks in the trophy case, and with Uconn's being ram packed with so many trophies most wouldn't actually notice if they did but rather just be overwhelmed by the number. On the other hand not just any winning streak, but one that dwarfs previous ones is mentioned all the time. The number 90 and Uconn came up frequently as will the number 111, as does 88, and 109, and 56. Can you tell me how many WS Joe won without looking it up? But 56 and Joe are synonymous.

Comparing individual player streaks to team streaks makes little sense. A team winning streak is a team achievement. To me, team achievements are much greater accomplishments. Plenty of individual players in team sports set all kinds of personal records, but their teams fail to win anything during the time they're setting all these records. You could list hundreds of players in all sports that never won a team championship but set a bunch of individual records.

DALTX

Reaction Score
Another thought; a National Championship this year would have been part of another streak: 5 consecutive National Championships. And possibly more to come. I think that holds more value than a game streak that includes many games against the AAC.

Reaction Score
There are no trophies for a streak but it will be remembered much longer than a 12th NC...I'm sure Chong will be willing to give the streak (and she was on for whole of it) for another shot in the end of that game...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty much every game, they show the championship banners hanging from the rafters.
But did you notice the 2002 one was missing in the January home games in Hartford? It was down for washing and refurbishment and no one I know even commented on it not being there!

(I lie, but you weren't sure for a minute, were you?! :rolleyes:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom